Mappers and Monster Spriters needed!

Please refer to how companies post job listings instead of just posting a Discord link with no other information if you actually want people to help you.

Posted (edited)

*whips out's glasses to see nothing* Bleeding heart? Sounds like a badass Doom 2 map someone needs or has been made.

Edited by xScavengerWolfx

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 8:41 PM, Major Arlene said:

Please refer to how companies post job listings instead of just posting a Discord link with no other information if you actually want people to help you.

My bad, yeah, now that I'm looking at it, it does look a bit sketchy, my fault, fam.

anyways, Bleeding Heart Studios is a Doom AND Freedoom modding team, first founded by me and a few close friends (however, we plan to expand in scope).

for our mods, our sprites will require proper credits for use, but for our own original games that end up being paid, uses of our work will be prohibited.

Mappers will: take care of Level Design and ACS scripting (ACS not needed most of the time anyway)

Spriters will: Make the needed sprites for enemies or weapons (and Code if you are also a programmer, but that's your choice.)

in paid games, all contributors will get an equal share of the royalties made by said game.

Edited by Josephus Astartes

This is all well and good, but if you want people to hop onboard it's a good idea to give them some solid reasons for doing so. A prime way to do this is to showcase past accomplishments of the studio or its individual members: this can be in terms of art and level design, but it also encompasses concepts like management and marketing (doubly so for any prospective commercial products). All of these things are important and people need to know that you and your studio have a good track record before they'll commit their time and effort to it. Ideas alone won't get you there: I say this as someone who could've been an "ideas guy" once upon a time. :P

Man, The Idea guy(tm) strikes again and this time in the form of a group project that posts less information than a classic Nigerian Prince lottery email.

Let me make a list of problems that practically always happen with these type of posts.

1. Community Projects are difficult to get started here due to factors of: Idea presentation & "street cred" being generally the biggest factors.
  2. Presenting an unknown studio/Group/Person asking for various talents that amount to representing all qualities needed to make a project is tacky. Its like wanting to build a car but all the help asked for ends up building the car for the dude that asked for the car. This is the classic IDEA GUY problem.
  3. So what separates a IDEA GUY from a Project Coordinator? Shark Tank! Proposing a project, whether community or private group, follows all the same rules and patterns as presenting a business proposal to investors.
  4. Avoiding the Ponzi Scheme Ethos: Despite doing something for fun and for free, the problems of Ponzi Scheme dynamics can easily crop up in community projects or group projects where the person or group at the top of the pyramid produce the least amount of project output. The IDEA GUY and Ponzi Scheme use similar tactics.

The Shark Tank Proposal Guideline in the form of Doom Community/ Project advertising

1. Project Goal and Project Progress prior to seeking additional personnel
  2. Project Theme and Project Assets needed or used
  3. Project Difficulty of Construction

Example ( Hopefully a good example that highlights the Proposal Guideline Structure somewhat accurately)

This example is a work of fiction and not an actual event.

Spoiler

Hey guys! I got an idea about making a short TC, Total Conversion for GZDoom or maybe Zandronum, that can hopefully bloom into something larger later on. The assets are mostly original and are using some placeholders BUT for the sake of the project we'll use commonly available assets to increase the speed of production time for the demo TC. 

So the reason for asking for Community input is diversity of map designs and ideas. I already got an artist working on the Original Assets, but that has nothing to do with this Demo build. My job in the production is the weapons and monster coding/ and custom effects or scripts that an interested mapper may want to experiment with. I'll also do the majority of play testing and bug squashing, and   "map story" sequence events that would help the game play aspects in the maps.

My personal weakness is just building interesting map designs, but I am fluent in special effects coding . One good bonus I can offer is that if you ever had a cool idea you wanted to try out then there is a very good probability that I can make it happen for you.

Anyways, I am just looking for around a 6 to 9 map length campaign in style close to the likes of Duke Nukem city style, Wilderness, Techbase and with an emphasis on visual story telling rather than cutscene  dialogue style. The maps can be built in the style of Classic Doom mechanics or even advanced like EDay with the emphasis that Classic style would be best for this Demo and Advanced mechanic maps would be better the more refined later project. For the Demo the preferred Assets to use would be FreeDoom  Phase 2 and Monster placement geared for exploration type challenge rather than Slaughter, but Slaughter can be submitted for review as well. Vanilla monsters are the main target the because custom monsters and weapons of the project will  replace them. This also makes it easier for a Vaccinated mapset release too.

The main end goal of the whole project is maybe commercial release, but at minimum we can just release a fun gameply mod, maps and Demo TC in project format similar to Ashes 2063/Afterglow of gameplay mod and vaccinated campaign maps. 

Anyways, I got ahead of myself. The TC theme is anything in vein of FEAR, Duke Nukem, Or COD with the leniency allowance toward Doom 3 or Doom 4 type tech similarity. Maps should be geared toward exploration with allowance to mini arenas in context similar to Lunatic.wad. A really decent example for preferred style to reference is Doom Tribute Project.

I do apologize for being vague about project direction. We're currently a 2 man crew, and we're mainly aiming for proof of concept type Demo. The actual TC assets currently under lock-and-Key as we are aiming for originality with goal of commercial release provided we achieve that lofty goal. As such. the release of the original assets early only hurts the main goal of the project. The worst scenario is that it can probably be viewed as DBP level type production if the commercial viability doesn't pan out.

We are looking for long term project partners, but are perfectly happy with casual donations, casual project input, casual project interest. Project Participation will be treated with utmost IP ( intellectual property) respect with all rights reserved to the creators, mappers or others with Credits outlining the individual contributions can be Updated or removed as necessary. Project Partners and Participants will be listed accurately for Project Positions within the Studio hierarchy within the context of the average business model especially if the project and studio do become commercially viable. Current state of the project is noncommercial and is not seeking monetary investment, nor offering monetary reward for any contributions during the current state of the Studio itself. Asset contribution can be offered or revoked at any time by the author/creator of relevant assets.

Okay, now that the Studio guidelines are explained for participation of potential creators, the question now becomes " Serious bro, what are you actually doing or bringing to the table?"

Of course, the answer to that question is: Lofty Goals with a large dose of Lemon on a Pear.

As it stands we have a large supply of original assets currently made and currently still being made by the Main Artist. Experiments are also being ran for Unity Engine viability and Modified GZDoom viability. Currently the base of the project runs on current version of GZDoom., and working on backport for Zandronum as an added bonus. Current goals are specifically for the Noncommercial Demo, and not to the commercial viability as of yet, but all progress made helps toward commercial viability. The main core mission statement is that there are amazing GZDoom original games like Shrine and Hedon, and Selaco so lets find out what a good team of talented people can produce.

I personally have a strong history of Doom modding  whether by solo compilation or helping others with projects with contributions, problem solving, playtesting via my code-monkey powers and technical knowledge of how GZDoom renders its logic in gameplay. My personal weakness is making maps in the context of design logic. Its something I am slowly learning, but this is the primary reason Why I am seeking map designers or any other participants that may want to volunteer music, art or other various assets.

You can contact me  by DM here at DoomWorld to which I can then provide a Discord Link. Comments on this thread can also be answered. The Discord server is more oriented toward serious participation. Most questions can be answered here on Forum or DM.

Sorry for not posting any Screenies or Video. THe main reason for that has to do with absolutely none of those type of examples would provide any meaningful example for the project direction, goals or capabilities. We are not currently to the level of Demo that can be seen in the likes of Selaco, but that a pretty fair analogy for the project  goal level! 

TO put it accurately on such a Demo video, You would see very vanilla doom looking art level with roughly Brutal Doom type of effects and gore, and that is just not a fair example to be portraying for a project that is already running original code that makes the gameplay look similar to already existing mods. So to avoid criticism about being clandestine and the likely accusation of "plagiarizing" Brutal Doom, here is a cute kitty cat meme, and one of the various mouse pointer artwork under consideration for the main project. You may use the mouse pointer for personal use or in any projects of your own if you like it enough

< cat meme>

< fictional mouse pointer>

On 5/31/2024 at 6:35 PM, Josephus Astartes said:

If anyone is interested in Mapping or Spriting for Bleeding Heart Studios. Here is the Discord Server for our team:

https://discord.gg/GCvJ3UYyZ4

Yeah chief, that won't cut it. You want help, present yourself.

14 hours ago, Josephus Astartes said:

My bad, yeah, now that I'm looking at it, it does look a bit sketchy, my fault, fam.

anyways, Bleeding Heart Studios is a Doom AND Freedoom modding team, first founded by me and a few close friends (however, we plan to expand in scope).

for our mods, our sprites will require proper credits for use, but for our own original games that end up being paid, uses of our work will be prohibited.

Mappers will: take care of Level Design and ACS scripting (ACS not needed most of the time anyway)

Spriters will: Make the needed sprites for enemies or weapons (and Code if you are also a programmer, but that's your choice.)

in paid games, all contributors will get an equal share of the royalties made by said game.

I am going to be blunt here; this is still a terrible introduction.

• All you do is introduce your team. And then you detail what members of that team are ought to do.
  • There is still no impression. Where are your assets? What have you made? If you want fish to bite, you need tack. All you do is throw in a fishing rod and then somehow expect to catch a whale.
  • Someone who claims to do mods and standalone games yet can't show any is at this stage nothing more than a Idea's Kid.
  • I am also an Idea's Kid, so here is my idea for you: Showcase your work.

33 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Yeah chief, that won't cut it. You want help, present yourself.

I am going to be blunt here; this is still a terrible introduction.

• All you do is introduce your team. And then you detail what members of that team are ought to do.
  • There is still no impression. Where are your assets? What have you made? If you want fish to bite, you need tack. All you do is throw in a fishing rod and then somehow expect to catch a whale.
  • Someone who claims to do mods and standalone games yet can't show any is at this stage nothing more than a Idea's Kid.
  • I am also an Idea's Kid, so here is my idea for you: Showcase your work.

Well as a new team we haven't really finished anything yet, however most of the work done for the current project by us as of now is the OST which I, Malebolge, and DAR have all worked on.

11 hours ago, kalensar said:

a classic Nigerian Prince lottery email.

Chapeau! That one killed me completely!
I was going to type something very rude (...and get yet another mod's warning...), but the Nigerian Prince stopped me with rhetorical elegance and superiority.
I guess I still need to polish my English.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Josephus Astartes said:

the OST which I, Malebolge, and DAR have all worked on.

To start with the OST is an interesting approach. Did you already contact Bobby for his humble assistance?
Just by the way and purely coincidential: Could we have a listen, please?

Edited by DoomGater
(sorry for double posting, but I am PISSED, in the UK and the US meaning of this rude word. )

so I have been approached for work on a commercial product on these very forums. things that were present in that proposal:

-indication of previous work

-up-front offer of payment for completion of work

-I was approached via DM, indicating that the team was looking at individual output and not just shotgunning offers into the void
-most of the non-level resources already existed

now, I am someone with more ambition than free time, so I get the desire for help, but you can't really get around the fact that you need to have something to show. If your big gap is mappers, then having other resources/gameplay coding complete to showcase is good. If your big gap is assets, you can always grab placeholder assets from something like OpenGameArt.org or just use dots/silhouettes, rough out some level geometry to demonstrate gameplay principles, etc.

as others have stated, a discord link isn't really going to be compelling to anyone.

It does take alot...everyone has these thoughts and ideas on what they wish to accomplish especially when it comes to game design.  I have seen to many people come into the forums with great ideas on projects they wish to accomplish and fall flat on their faces.  It's more work than you can imagine...sometimes it looks so simple.  Hey other folks have done why can't I?  It's a huge team effort and like what many others have said above show what you have accomplished so far.  TeamTNT had it's struggles as well with it's projects.  If Ty Halderman was around he could tell you right up front....Eternal Doom and especially our project Daedalus Alien Defense was no walk in the park and it took forever especially with everyone's real lives coming first and foremost.  Ty Halderman put his heart and soul into all of TeamTNT's projects, hell man, he was TeamTNT!  BTW, there are times when Ty just wanted to throw in the towel, but I'm glad he stuck with it.  When I started the Community Chest project back in the day I started it as simple as possible.  There were no delusions of grandeur just make doom maps with existing resources for the community to enjoy.  There was nothing else...just that.  Also, I had a great supporting team that made it work and without them the project would have never taken off.  Listen to the folks above and exchange ideas and sometimes you have to "downsize" your idea just to get the first one off the ground.  Just my input.  I've been dooming since the game was released and have seen alot of successes but also alot of failures.  Just think about what's been said in this thread from everyone.  Their not trying to make you quit, they really trying to help you out.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT / Doom2 Grandmaster DHT5 Standards