RAMP 2024 - Newcomer-friendly community project!

There is a lot of bugs I need help with fixing 

48 minutes ago, Meyland12 said:

Hello. I will of coruse join but i have qustion.

How many maps are sumiited already (even thoes WIP)? i ask becuase i don't see map list for some reason. 🤔

There are in total 45 maps at the moment.

51 minutes ago, Meyland12 said:

How many maps are sumiited already (even thoes WIP)? i ask becuase i don't see map list for some reason. 🤔

Go to the download snapshot version section, thats where the map list is 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Meyland12 said:

Should be listed right here https://ramp2024.doomproject.com/download.php

But there are 48 slots filled, currently. People are rushing in :D

(edit: dangit, page didn't refresh, didn't see the replies of the other folks)

Edited by A Handsome Fridge

5 hours ago, Ash4ash said:

I need help with this image.png.5973c92e0c74a97ae1f499dddea07321.png

Do you have TEXTURE1, TEXTURE2, PNAMES, SWITCHES, and/or ANIMATED lumps?

5 hours ago, A Handsome Fridge said:

Should be listed right here https://ramp2024.doomproject.com/download.php

But there are 48 slots filled, currently. People are rushing in :D

(edit: dangit, page didn't refresh, didn't see the replies of the other folks)

Well it seem RAMP 2024 stared in saturday and already 48 slots. It seem i will have wait a bit for potenial videos etcsince i didn't manage to be fast enough to get best slots. I go size second slot asap.

I will again make 2 maps for this project tho. 😊

Posted (edited)

I downloaded ramp2024resources.pk3, now how do I use it correctly? Do I need to somehow unzip it and use it somewhere nearby as a resource or should I copy it directly into my WAD? I want to try using OTEX textures, including animated textures.

UPD:
So
I'm probably doing it wrong, but still. I don't know what z32in24-15_tex_v2.wad texture pack it is, but textures are very beautiful and I would like to use them.
When I scroll down to GOTHMETC my Slade crashes and I don't understand why, I looked at all the textures separately at the level between GOTH#### and GRAY#### and all the textures seem fine. I copied pk3 twice and it still crashes at the same place.

Spoiler

photo_2024-06-03_23-08-23.jpg.605a0458025ee64617a1fca965896a15.jpg

what am I doing wrong?

Edited by NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya
add

1 hour ago, NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya said:

I downloaded ramp2024resources.pk3, now how do I use it correctly? Do I need to somehow unzip it and use it somewhere nearby as a resource or should I copy it directly into my WAD? I want to try using OTEX textures, including animated textures.

Idk how Slade's map editor works, but in Doom Builder there's an option to load external resources for a map, where you'd normally add the IWAD. If Slade has anything like this, it's probably where you should put the resources pk3.

4 hours ago, Meyland12 said:

Well it seem RAMP 2024 stared in saturday and already 48 slots. It seem i will have wait a bit for potenial videos etcsince i didn't manage to be fast enough to get best slots. I go size second slot asap.

I will again make 2 maps for this project tho. 😊

The slots don't matter all that much since the location of the maps are randomly shuffeled with each playthrough (they will stay in their dedicated theme hub, just on a different location).

I don't know what the problem is, but it seems like one texture is magically broken, despite the fact that png file open and view normally. When viewing in TEXTURES lamp, the Slade crash was caused by these two textures GRAYBAR0 and GRAYBAR1, that is, most likely, containing the GRAYBAR0 patch name. So I simply deleted the piece of code from TEXTURES, which is shown below, and the crashes stopped.🤷

WallTexture "GRAYBAR0", 128, 128
{
    Patch "GRAYBAR0", 0, 0
    Patch "GRAYBAR1", 0, 64
}

WallTexture "GRAYBAR1", 128, 128
{
    Patch "GRAYBAR2", 0, 64
    Patch "GRAYBAR0", 0, 0
}

oh shit, i forgot to change the mapinfo numbers of the items and new enemies i made, so now it thinks one my enemies from the stealing from the vault level is a wolfenstien machine gun! 

10 hours ago, NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya said:

I don't know what the problem is, but it seems like one texture is magically broken, despite the fact that png file open and view normally.

That’s really strange, one other person in the Discord has said the same thing but I’m not sure why it doesn’t happen to everyone! It doesn’t sound like you’ve done anything wrong - I’ll see if I can do anything about it

Howdy, MAP09 here 😊 I'm trying to keep it simple but as always the feature creep is real lol 😅Screenshot_Doom_20240605_200739.png.2a0d2f23f670f632ab89e0d03634aa5e.png

In UDMF format it is possible to impose floor textures on walls, and wall textures on the floor. There are textures of the same name for the floor and walls in Doom 2, which for some reason after saving the project everything is redone according to the wall texture. However, in the game this leads to an unpredictable result. How should I deal with this situation? I'm confused1769939653_.png.ca32e9ebb7da6e138cef723b969346fa.png1064549169_.png.d9a2e285dcf36907a57077b24cc9a884.png

I went ahead and submitted my map.

I couldn't think of anything super crazy so I went with something a bit more simple. I call it Operation K.I.S.S. since I was basically trying to Keep it Simple (stupid). I used the Boom Doom 2 (Doom format). It basically took the entire day to make this map, although I had earlier attempts to make something which went nowhere and I scrapped those maps.

K5ZQO4D.png

5CkEVcU.png

eNTNtFS.png

ftgRSv3.png

12 hours ago, NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya said:

In UDMF format it is possible to impose floor textures on walls, and wall textures on the floor...

Yes, this is an oddity that comes from how Doom 2 graphics were stored originally... "flats" for floors and ceilings were completely different things from "textures" for walls, so they could have the same names and not interefere with each other. UDMF allows any graphic to be used for flat surfaces and walls, so UDB/GZDoom can disagree about whether to use the flat or the texture version.

To work around this I would actually just add your own texture that doesn't have any name clashes - you can export the step graphic using SLADE and copy it into your own WAD under a different name. I've just put up a video that shows how to work with textures :)

I'm really enjoying all the screenshots and videos that are being posted so far!

MAP72 here. my map's textures look fine when i run it by itself in GZdoom, but when i play it in RAMP everything's missing! the website doesn't seem to think there's any errors, so i'm a little lost. any ideas? ┐('~`;)┌

717162996_Screenshot2024-06-05214114.png.2af692ae55a057461914096486e92875.png

image.png.dc7e394c3afc7df109807b6677d09be5.png

2 hours ago, KitKatrina said:

MAP72 here. my map's textures look fine when i run it by itself in GZdoom, but when i play it in RAMP everything's missing! the website doesn't seem to think there's any errors, so i'm a little lost. any ideas? ┐('~`;)┌

717162996_Screenshot2024-06-05214114.png.2af692ae55a057461914096486e92875.png

image.png.dc7e394c3afc7df109807b6677d09be5.png

If you're using TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2 to get your textures going locally, they won't transfer over cleanly to RAMP - changes to TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2 overwrite the originals, while TEXTURES is additive and stacks atop each other - or something like that.

I had the same problem when I was working on In Wonderland for RAMP 2022 and implementing the Bunny.

For your RAMP submission, place your textures in TEXTURES instead - SLADE should have all the conversion tools necessary for facilitating that.

1 hour ago, CravenCoyote said:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20240604_033317.png.63f8cc0374be00c7ef1b9d2bad199b7a.png

Looks awesome!

To make the fall of light from the windows look even cooler, you can make it a little at an angle, make an offset from the wall, so that the wall is not illuminated, and on the ceiling hang linedef with ceiling light transfer, so that the ceiling is also not illuminated. 🤗