IronEagle Competition 67: Post

Posted (edited)

Welcome to another month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that welcomes everyone from the beginner to the long-time player. As long as you enjoy playing Doom, come and join us!

This month, participants will challenge themselves against Post, an 11-map vanilla mapset for Doom 2 made by Tony Sideris and released in 1996. This was Tony's third release, and his first release with a story behind it. The story goes like this: having finished saving the world, you decide to relax and go to a Bjork concert. On your way to the club, demons attack and you grab your pistol and set out to save the day again, screaming, "I will see Bjork!"

As this is a map from 1996, the zip file comes with an external Dehacked patch (several, depending on what version of Doom 2 you had) and other batch files to properly run the mapset. In the modern era, you should only need post_19.deh. It makes the map names appear on the automap and some of the custom things appear correctly. Exploding barrels also take fewer hits to explode, so we're going to play with the dehacked file.

Participants must play these maps on complevel 2 or Doom(strict).

Download Post here.

Post starts at Map 01. Survival is finishing Map 11. There are no secret maps.

Enjoy!

Spoiler

• Template for Chocolate Doom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file post.wad -deh post_19.deh -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEpost>

• Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file post.wad -deh post_19.deh -complevel 2 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEpost>

• Template for ZDoom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file post.wad -deh post_19.deh +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map map 01 -record <IEpost>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IEpost> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo.
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

• Category 1: Blind run.
    • This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before. I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.
      • For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.
  • Category 2: Non-blind.
    • If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. (Just don't submit your first run.) If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. Your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • If you survived, your time
  • If you didn't survive, the map where you died
  • The time it took you to reach the map where you died
  • Kill count upon death
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g., "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. If you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival
  • Time for survival
  • Map of Death (in descending order: Map 11, Map 10, Map 09, Map 08, Map 07, Map 06, Map 05, Map 04, Map 03, Map 02, Map 01)
  • Time to reach map of death
  • Kill count in the map of death

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 39 (Jan.): The Talosian Incident (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: PsychEyeball   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 40 (Feb.): Apokalypsis (Winners -- UV: Maribo   HMP: Goofy_1966   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 41 (Mar.): Breach & Brigandine (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 42 (Apr.): Nex Credo (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 43 (May): Ezekiel (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 44 (Jun.): Elegy (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP:  SCF  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 45 (Jul.): Respawned: Back from Hell (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 46 (Aug.): Viscous Realms (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 47 (Sept.): PhobosDeimos Anomaly (Winners -- UV: Luleta   HMP:  Zhaojue  HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 48 (Oct.): Eternally Yours (Winners -- UV: NaZa   HMP:  head_cannon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 49 (Nov.): Foursite (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP:  xX_Lol6_Xx  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 50 (Dec.): Doom 2 (Winners -- UV: 4shockblast   HMP:  xX_Lol6_Xx  HNTR: NoisyVelvet)

• 51 (Jan.): Monument (Winners -- UV: ginc   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 52 (Feb.): Into the Code (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP: xX_Lol 6_Xx   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 53 (Mar.): City of Doom (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 54 (Apr.): Prototype (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 55 (May): MAYhem 2019 (Winners -- UV: joe-ilya   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Horus)
  • 56 (Jun.-Jul.): Adonis: Escape from Urania (Winners -- UV: ginc   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 57 (Jul.-Aug.): The Abyss (Winners -- UV: Master Medi   HMP: xX_Lol 6_Xx   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 58 (Sept.): Enslavement (Winners -- UV: joe-ilya   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 59 (Oct.): Escalation Titan (Winners -- UV: NaZa   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 60 (Nov.): Bad Idea (Winners -- UV: NaZa   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 61 (Dec.): Grim Ripper (Winners -- UV: galileo31dos01   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)

• 62 (Jan.): ADoom (Winners -- UV: Asbadagba   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 63 (Feb.): Preacher (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 64 (Mar.): Castle of Evil (Winners -- UV: Horus   HMP: head_Cannon   HNTR: SleepyVelvet)
  • 65 (Apr.): Slith (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 66 (May): Kmega1 (Winners -- UV: joe-ilya   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
Edited by Pegleg
EDIT 1: Revising notes about Dehacked and other files in the zip.

Dead on MAP06 at 57:42

Category: 1

Difficulty: UV

Kills: 80/130

DWIE_24-06_Post_SCF.zip

I knew impatience would kill me eventually, and by this point I was pretty tired of it anyway. I don't want to be overly negative about these 90s wads, but playing them in one sitting and constantly getting stuck on obtuse progression (like secret doorways) is pretty draining.

Posted (edited)

Oh Geez what did I do?  @Pegleg @SCF The Slithe IE challenge is the first time I ever used the Demo feature (DSDA) I usually Windows Screen Record GZ Doom.  Can someone tell me what I've got in wrong to run this one UV difficulty.?  Both the POST.WAD and Post_19.DEH file are in the same folder as this Demo Script file thingy.  (showing my age here LOL).

It says -record takes only one argument on the pop up message

image.png.93651ba56da2bc294d3e3a60b2f36ba7.png 

Edited by LegendaryEevee

34 minutes ago, LegendaryEevee said:

Can someone tell me what I've got in wrong

Path with spaces. "-record .\DWIE" is where DSDA-doom stops reading the path-to-demo argument, because space is the separator of things. Try putting double quotes around your path.

Anyways, submission.

Category: 01

Result: DNF on MAP02

Time: ~22:20, I can't be bothered to recheck.

dwie_24-06_dd.zip

Imagine thinking that a 1996 would stick to the [non-]interactable texture convention it established throughout the prior parts of the level. Written post deleting this as hard and fast as my hands could.

Posted (edited)

Cat 1 Dead on map03 
71/140 kills

Spoiler

I did not expect, nor did I enjoy cryptic progression. The backtracking and wallhumping drops mental presence and then you die to some simple shit. Kind of glad to be out of this one, I can't imagine trying to keep my mind sharp for 11 maps of unmarked wall humping. Ymmv

Helm_Post.zip

Edited by Helm

Posted (edited)

@Doomy__Doom @Pegleg @SCF thank you for your help Doomy I got it to at least run the game by changing the file name to DWIE_06-24_POST_LegendaryEevee the game started with no errors I immediately quit and it created the folder with the same name so then when I went to do the actual run it said one of two attempts.  How do I fix this? All I did was verify it ran and now the attempts are screwy if anything it's becoming a crash course on how to do demos in the modern times ☠️😰😖😵

Edited by LegendaryEevee

1 hour ago, LegendaryEevee said:

@Doomy__Doom @Pegleg @SCF thank you for your help Doomy I got it to at least run the game by changing the file name to DWIE_06-24_POST_LegendaryEevee the game started with no errors I immediately quit and it created the folder with the same name so then when I went to do the actual run it said one of two attempts.  How do I fix this? All I did was verify it ran and now the attempts are screwy if anything it's becoming a crash course on how to do demos in the modern times ☠️😰😖😵

The attempt counter is purely for your own information and doesn't have any effect on the demo, but dsda-doom stores the stats in the dsda_doom_data directory, in a text file with "splits" in the name.

16 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

The attempt counter is purely for your own information and doesn't have any effect on the demo, but dsda-doom stores the stats in the dsda_doom_data directory, in a text file with "splits" in the name.

TY makes sense I will ignore the attempts and hopefully have the file ready by the end of the week!

Kill Count in MAP03: 48/140 (not sure how to easily grab total kill count across all maps outside of doing it manually, sorry)
Time of death in map of death: 3:31
Dead on Map 3
Total Time: 43:47
Port: DSDA

Comments: Pretty good for 1996, though the wall-humping is indeed a bit much.

IEpostRadial.zip

Posted (edited)

Decided to participate here after getting pissed with garbage attempt at ironman twice in the row.

Well.... this wad is actually really cool, this is exactly what I like, thanks for letting me know about it! Unfortunately, this is also a pretty bad choice to ironman because it's pretty long and also confusing (which I don't mind by itself, but it's bad for ironmanning). By the end of my run I was so damn exhausted, confused and got nausea. Doesn't help that mouse movement during demo recording is always so janky that it made the experience very unpleasant in the end. That being said, I'll definitely play this wad on my own a couple levels at the time, because I do like it.

Category 1 Woof!, Ultra-Violence. Made it to map 6 and died in nukage, but at that point I was completely lost and confused.

Level stats:

MAP01 - 11:16.09 (11:16)  K: 89/113  I: 0/1  S: 0/3
MAP02 - 20:56.37 (32:12)  K: 93/93  I: 11/12  S: 1/2
MAP03 - 18:34.97 (50:46)  K: 134/140  I: 0/2  S: 0/2
MAP04 - 14:58.57 (65:44)  K: 133/149  I: 4/7  S: 0/3
MAP05 - 13:54.86 (79:38)  K: 138/157  I: 4/7  S: 0/3

lildevil_POST.zip

Edited by Li'l devil

Posted (edited)

Category 1

Survived in 2:14:20

Difficulty UV

pbe_post.lmp.zip

Progression was so bad in this wad (the second map is the biggest offender). But Im happy with the survival.

Edited by PBeGood

https://youtu.be/dQYQGgyFtBg

Category 1 run on UV, run starts at around 1:05:00.

WARNING: This wad contains a lot of obscure/obtuse progression throughout. (90's mapping!) Be prepared to do weird things on occasion to progress.

Died on map 11 with 81/115 monsters killed. By a Revenant. Just after spending 10 minutes figuring out yet another obtuse progression point and being this damn close to surviving the whole thing. Very frustrating.

Category 2 (had to restart a few times, once because of an apparent softlock or blindness

Difficulty: HMP 

Dead on Map 06 at....check the last time the map was opened I guess, but I entered at around 40 minutes.

lmd_ironpost.zip

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 8:13 AM, Li'l devil said:

Doesn't help that mouse movement during demo recording is always so janky that it made the experience very unpleasant in the end.

Use "-longtics 1" argument to have much higher aiming precision.

Edited by Dimon12321

No, you didn't softlock. One of those platforms can be triggered to lower if pressed from the correct side, and once you get on top of it, there's a walk trigger line that builds the rest of the staircase. Yeah, this is really obscure and I found about it by just pressing on everything randomly.

Eh, fair point, though I did walk the length of that platform iirc...

Either way, didn't feel this WAD is fun in an Ironman setting - though I feel I would mostly enjoy it outside of it - so in this case I'm somewhat glad I hastenly called it a softlock. There's always next month.

This is unrelated to the runs, but there's a technical problem I have with this wad. I decided to play it casually on Chocolate Doom on HMP and for some reason about 1 minute into the wad I keep getting a crash with W_CacheLumpNum error. I searched, and the cause seems to be some lumps being out of order, but this is bizarre, because as a 1996 vanilla wad is should work with Chocolate Doom perfectly.

@ClumsyCryptid posted a run to the Ironman discord. Here are the details (and demo), for those who have not joined the Ironman Discord server.

Difficulty: HMP

Dead on: Map 06

Time of death: 1:00:43

Kills: 55/108

Time entering Map 06: 56:06

Port: DSDA

This set is too good to be a 1996 levelset.

IEClumsyPOST.zip

joe-ilya posted a run to the Ironman discord. Here are the details (and demo), for those who have not joined the Ironman Discord server.

Dead on: Map 06

Time of death: 58:35

Kills: 104/130

Time entering Map 06: 48:30

Port: DSDA-Doom 0.27.5

postIRONEAGLEjoe.zip

Posted (edited)

Hi!

Category 1

UV

Survived in 1:49:32 (I finally did check the tally and imprinted the time on my brain!)

Crispy Doom 6.0.0

post_IEbygal.zip

Spoiler

Weee a clean exit! That made me smile, specially after a couple incidents that could have completely ended my run. The ridiculous survival of one particular trap goes to my top 10 most moments in doom moments history. 

I played Debut before so I could kind of know what to expect, in fact I believe it would be a solid pick for a ironman since it's easy smooth sailing (barring ubiquitous shotgunners). I think the progression wasn't anything that you wouldn't find in this kind of wads from sweet 90s (Debut's is easier as well) and if you had prior experience with them then this shouldn't be too much stress. Of course you contend with classic tropes like wall lifts and epic crushers, switches that work something elsewhere, but it's the shootable wall in the last map the other incident (besides the boom trap) where I got a little nervous. The majority else is mostly telegraphed, even if subtly, like map 02's different variants of the mossy rock texture, although those little details don't always help much I admit. Running through large chunks of the set without armor, in spite of the general low danger, was something that didn't give me much confidence in the long run but I can say thanks to the hitscanners for being more or less merciful? I'm sure there must have been hidden armor somewhere. 

I kinda liked the wad overall. There were some funny details like when I found out that some trees will disintegrate when you shoot them (also a panic moment in map 07, guess that's how you figure they have keendie), and the spider and hell knights that were already dead, mysteriously. The Björk head got me laughing. The few animated variants of classic textures were neat. 

Edited by galileo31dos01

Posted (edited)

Cat 1

UV

Died on Map 01 with 14/113 kills at about 2:45

Spoiler

F-tier dodging skills + Hitscan + lack of health lead to an early death. As always, continuing to upload every time I participate, no matter how early on I die

0horus_ironeagle_2024_06.zip

Edited by Horus