[Doom 2 community project] Tribute Quilt II - collectively making one big map out of entirety of Doom II [Beta 2 release (hotfix edition)]

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Chariot Rider said:

I've updated my map

Do whatever you think is best.  I did whip up a quick set of doors on the area, as well as removing a few hard mode monsters since some people found the UV version of this map way too cramped and exposed for the number of monsters.  Feel free to change the textures on these doors if you'd like, if you think it might help them better connect to the connected areas.  

MAP15 Industrial Zone v6.zip

Oh, I misunderstood the post, I get what you meant now. I see what you meant. I'll probably do it, underhalls hitscan squad is a menace and soundproofing might be exploitable. But I will probably use conventional door like I used elsewhere.

I fixed bugs reported so far and re-distributed some pickups. Kinda worth remembering though that map is labyrinthine and confusing so "nearby" is relatively.

I'll let it sit for a few days in case something else comes up or I'll find time to play it again, then update.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Excellent wad! Just played through the whole thing lol, just a few flaws I noticed

- Numerous of the doors were open when I got to them, I can't exactly remember if I saw any in the first Tribute Quilt like that? I imagine that was a playtesting convenience..?

- There's a missing texture on the path from MAP31 to 21, on the little grass lip bit.

- MAP32 just has an ever so slightly misaligned texture, on the northern entrance.

- This is more subjective but personally, I'd have had it so the secret exit end of MAP31 was pointing to MAP21, though I get it if you wouldn't want it to be that way.

1 hour ago, NiGHTS108 said:

- Numerous of the doors were open when I got to them, I can't exactly remember if I saw any in the first Tribute Quilt like that? I imagine that was a playtesting convenience..?

I didn't understand this. The rest I'll check, maybe wuill rotate the map too.

Posted (edited)

There are a few bugs.

Grosse's door that you shouldn't be able to close has missing textures.

Catacombs can get you softlocked if you fall into the pit with the Baron.

A health bonus in courtyard is too high to reach.

In map 28, you can pick up the megasphere through the wall.

Spoiler

mistake2.png.c55df15aaa53832d72da7dd0e371d543.pngmistake3.png.23661b3979f90e955b6c43d34b073826.pngmistake4.png.10133c7f29ba4c0bc32a0c22959d6cb8.pngmistake1.png.82d5dfb55017caa499eaf5cac4e4d603.png

Edited by Bendy1

2 hours ago, NiGHTS108 said:

- There's a missing texture on the path from MAP31 to 21, on the little grass lip bit. 

I also didn't understand what grass lip are you talking about.

Posted (edited)

Oh, playing through the map04 section, something must've gotten disconnected in the process. The secret switch is supposed to open the shotgunner segment in both directions, so the player can use secrets to pass NE -> SW or SW -> NE whichever way they reach the segment, but it currently only opens the doors in the back.
image.png.10e402bf40343317e94baf95f68bc885.png

Edited by Lina
got the directions wrong

When I was doing my playthrough, I discovered one soft lock on my section.  In the lava pit, if you fall into the southmost part of the lava, you will be stuck because the walls are too tall for you to walk over, and the spaces on the sides are slightly too small to let you squeeze through.  However, I did experiment with a pretty easy fix.  If you move the 2 vertices on the right of the metal box in the lava, you can create a gap of 40 units, which will allow the player to get to the front of the steps which allows them to get out of the lava pit.  image.png.6ebcb31f7d647c0fa86adde6d86fc973.png

6 hours ago, Lina said:

Oh, playing through the map04 section, something must've gotten disconnected in the process. The secret switch is supposed to open the shotgunner segment in both directions, so the player can use secrets to pass NE -> SW or SW -> NE whichever way they reach the segment, but it currently only opens the doors in the back.

I think I mentioned it earlier when discussing your segment that I might disable the opening from the south, because I might want to make it a path splitter, so I did that.

The idea is that you need to walk around it to reach the yellow key to the north of it, that's why I didn't want a north-south connection to remain.

Ahh, I must've missed it. Apologies, all good.

I put some rebalancing and bug fixes in the OP, but I didn't have time to test it, unfortunately. Should still work.

It will likely take another revision to shuffle big pickups around, but at least all disconnected sectors should be re-joined.

I'm debating with myself whenever I should flip MAP31 segment, there's a merit to have it either direction.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I put some rebalancing and bug fixes in the OP, but I didn't have time to test it, unfortunately. Should still work.

It will likely take another revision to shuffle big pickups around, but at least all disconnected sectors should be re-joined.

I'm debating with myself whenever I should flip MAP31 segment, there's a merit to have it either direction.

Dunno if you placed it for testing purposes, but the starting point is now in Barrels of Fun. 

28 minutes ago, BeachThunder said:

That was my fault :( I left a player start there.

It's a classic! If it doesn't happen at least thrice in a CP, it's not a real CP. 😉

(Over at Box Doom, we're particularly skilled at placing faux player 1 starts directly before external playtesting streams – just to confuse the streamer and make the team panic ... 😅)

On 6/17/2024 at 10:04 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

I also didn't understand what grass lip are you talking about.

Must've gotten confused with the MAP12/31 entrance. I mean this bit here

image.png.6bade072c2f6f8aa83bd5d3027cb9c4c.png

49 minutes ago, BeachThunder said:

That was my fault :( I left a player start there.

That's okay. I'm playing this version and having fun so far. Here is a list of things I've found that may be improved:

• On the Downtown segment, it may be good to hightlight the teleporter even more. I thought I was softlocked here.
  • The Underhalls segment was one of my least favorites. There are some parts where it's downright hard to play with freelook disabled, like the underground part where the blue key would be in the original. Maybe add some monster blocking lines so that the player can see enemies better and jump down the hole without being locked?
  • This platform in Bloodfalls is incorrectly a damaging floor. (I)
  • Wouldn't it be best if this area in Suburbs didn't have this middle texture on the left door? (II) If it was boom compat, it could be translucent. I ask because this is a path the player will probably cross more than once. I get it's a reference to that one secret, but here it's become part of the progression instead.

(I)

image.png.5721293db575c3bb01e3da4ff2221784.png

(II)
SK10esx.jpeg

2 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Wouldn't it be best if this area in Suburbs didn't have this middle texture on the left door? (II) If it was boom compat, it could be translucent. I ask because this is a path the player will probably cross more than once. I get it's a reference to that one secret, but here it's become part of the progression instead.

Just to add My Two Cents to this, to be fair, it's not necessary for progression. The player can still just go back through The Focus and head to the yellow cluster that way. Not sure, I'd say it's perfectly fine tbh

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, NiGHTS108 said:

Just to add My Two Cents to this, to be fair, it's not necessary for progression. The player can still just go back through The Focus and head to the yellow cluster that way. Not sure, I'd say it's perfectly fine tbh

Yeah, it's not that bad, and the player's instinct will be to test all of them like I did, probably. Maybe at least add the middle texture on the other side as well?

Edited by DoomGappy

3 hours ago, DoomGappy said:
  • The Underhalls segment was one of my least favorites. There are some parts where it's downright hard to play with freelook disabled, like the underground part where the blue key would be in the original. Maybe add some monster blocking lines so that the player can see enemies better and jump down the hole without being locked?

Just to add my own experience to this: When I played the first beta I also ran into a few locations where enemies were blocking me from jumping down (I don't remember where else exactly). It wasn't a problem for me because I had an early rocket launcher, but I can see it being frustrating if you don't have that option and you can't go another way.

Another thing I just remembered: there's at least one area that's hidden on the automap (I think it was in The Spirit World). I found myself having to rely on the automap a lot to find my way to key doors/unexplored sections, and I think having hidden passages may be a bit too much for a complex collage like this.

Damn it, I need to not upload files right before going out for a day. I uploaded some hotfixing. At least start should move where it belongs.

@ChippiHeppu how attached you are to the fake doors in your segment? I think maybe it's better if they were real doors, or just remove all but one.

There is a linedef in-between the map 32 and map 24 cross area that allows you to close a non existent door (which obviously has no upper texture and triggers the hall of mirrors effect) Flipping this line should fix the problem.

mistake5.png

mistake6.png

That linedef shouldn't have any door actions, that wall is supposed to stay open for the rest of the level

3 minutes ago, Djoga said:

That linedef shouldn't have any door actions, that wall is supposed to stay open for the rest of the level

Correct, I removed the action. Will be gone in the next version.

22 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Damn it, I need to not upload files right before going out for a day. I uploaded some hotfixing. At least start should move where it belongs.

@ChippiHeppu how attached you are to the fake doors in your segment? I think maybe it's better if they were real doors, or just remove all but one.

Remove the fake doors, but move the real door to the middle. The fake midtexture probably won't be an issue then.

Posted (edited)

This one is probably a pet peeve, but why are there impassable lines on the water border in the secret in the entryway box?

UcSbibY.png

Edited by DoomGappy

Posted (edited)

Seems like if there are still problems, they are fairly minor. I will probably do one final playtesting when I have time closer to the end of the month and push out a release thread.

I realized that I'm not any good at writing sector names, so not sure if the idea of names in the corner of the map is worth pursuing, but there will definitely be a credit lump.

Maybe I should ask every participant to write their own signature?

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Seems like if there are still problems, they are fairly minor. I will probably do one final playtesting when I have time closer to the end of the month and push out a release thread.

I realized that I'm not any good at writing sector names, so not sure if the idea of names in the corner of the map is worth pursuing, but there will definitely be a credit lump.

Maybe I should ask every participant to write their own signature?

Remember I offered my help for doing that. If you can provide me with a plaintext list of the 32 segments with their respective authors, I will prepare the sector art ready for copying & pasting into the map.

Edited by Grizzly Old B

18 minutes ago, Grizzly Old B said:

Remember I offered my help for doing that. If you can provide me with a plaintext list of the 32 segments with their respective authors, I will prepare the sector art ready for copying & pasting into the map.

Still got the table here

Second column. Do you need anything more plain?

I guess every name should ideally fit in 512x256 box, so they can be arranged in corners.

17 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Still got the table here

Second column. Do you need anything more plain?

I guess every name should ideally fit in 512x256 box, so they can be arranged in corners.

That's just fine, thanks. I'll try to work on this on the weekend.