Rate my Doom PC.

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

If things take an eternity to respond to, its likely never even defragged. Try defrag which is standard on any Windows machine

Please don't do this if you have an SSD

1 hour ago, Shepardus said:

Your CPU is ancient, it's an 18 year old model and it wasn't even top of the line when it was new. If there's one thing you upgrade, it should be that.

Exactly why I've said I've played since 94 either cpu or PS1 lol.  The trouble is working as an Engineer I always have a fast computer at work for everything I do.  So having a fast one at home never became a priority until I wanted to start recording my runs on pc to get better quality than the PS4's dismal 720P ='( 

Now that I have the PC up and running I'll have to crack open the old vault and reveal what all of the WADs I have are.  I bet most of them won't even be around anymore because I was one of those who would download everything and keep it whether I liked it or not lol.  I literally have an almost 10 page library last I remembered (yes I'm absoutely a completionist I have a checklist for ever single WAD I download to make sure I've completed them all) XD

But back to this if anyone else has any other opinions if anything can be upgraded to make it able to record the Classic Games and WADs that's really all I need out of it.  Record footage and audio with at least a 1080P result.  If that's a new PC than any suggestions that isn't a fortune is greatly appreciated.  I mentioned on my channel I hope to have whatever needs fixed and straightend out done within the next 1-3 months max.  Thank you again for all of your help!

23 minutes ago, LegendaryEevee said:

Exactly why I've said I've played since 94 either cpu or PS1 lol.  The trouble is working as an Engineer I always have a fast computer at work for everything I do.  So having a fast one at home never became a priority until I wanted to start recording my runs on pc to get better quality than the PS4's dismal 720P ='( 

Now that I have the PC up and running I'll have to crack open the old vault and reveal what all of the WADs I have are.  I bet most of them won't even be around anymore because I was one of those who would download everything and keep it whether I liked it or not lol.  I literally have an almost 10 page library last I remembered (yes I'm absoutely a completionist I have a checklist for ever single WAD I download to make sure I've completed them all) XD

But back to this if anyone else has any other opinions if anything can be upgraded to make it able to record the Classic Games and WADs that's really all I need out of it.  Record footage and audio with at least a 1080P result.  If that's a new PC than any suggestions that isn't a fortune is greatly appreciated.  I mentioned on my channel I hope to have whatever needs fixed and straightend out done within the next 1-3 months max.  Thank you again for all of your help!

You can try upgrading it, but to change CPU to something modern you will have to buy a new motherboard, meaning you will need a new ram too probably. Easier to build a new PC and insert your current hard drive into it

On 6/4/2024 at 3:00 AM, neubejiita said:

Intel i9.

128 GiB of RAM.

2000 TB SSD.

Windows 10.

Screenshot_Doom_20240604_151222.png

It would be super cool if you made it so it was the player's screen that was on the TV/Monitor/Whatever, it would be trippy and meta as hell.

2 hours ago, LegendaryEevee said:

If that's a new PC than any suggestions that isn't a fortune is greatly appreciated.

You'd save a lot of money and you'd get more speed out of your hardware by switching to a  lightweighted Linux Distro. Most of the time I'm on an 10year old i5/8GB Ram under xfce and it

is really fast enough for anything Doom (ok, not the newfangled brethren). If you get something a bit more powerful, let's say an i7 with 16GB, your recording wishes could easily be fulfilled.
But if you really need W11, there is no other solution than buying an overpriced powerhouse PC. But make sure to save some money for the electricity bill :-).

4 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

You'd save a lot of money and you'd get more speed out of your hardware by switching to a  lightweighted Linux Distro. Most of the time I'm on an 10year old i5/8GB Ram under xfce and it

is really fast enough for anything Doom (ok, not the newfangled brethren). If you get something a bit more powerful, let's say an i7 with 16GB, your recording wishes could easily be fulfilled.
But if you really need W11, there is no other solution than buying an overpriced powerhouse PC. But make sure to save some money for the electricity bill :-).

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-7010-DisplayPort-Bluetooth/dp/B08P568S22/ref=sr_1_2?crid=E1IKUCM3EAP6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ZiQkE1PTVZJyh_1BShEaYNbzQ3fwhjQnvsFRi-ewxinX5xrJibPKw-SQ6TShKwcWuKcCHkPE9vChwOf0hdfJSTsLEt-kx3Q0GBeg_wzmFifzpRv0nmtp-YF15gHK89c9iqCK6xnJ3BwDdiwcVlFHnFbU5JqYQdwil9l7eMeJOZWAzx8Tdr68KbfoLdLeoDc1ziHMxJWO4NgnQZcRyf2S2ZZh2TDbPNwnwoU2IHMbtQ3JgDLVGpsP-vF68hPjNjFesExenJ9fsz8fJce2cvaprK0LJwzrE0hjYcXy8AsBk8s.XkwZOzmPeN1wCzWahGQg428_O0UiLeYx36B4c4XHwFI&dib_tag=se&keywords=computer+tower&qid=1717599958&refinements=p_36%3A-100000%2Cp_72%3A1248879011%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A5446816011|7817230011%2Cp_n_feature_seventeen_browse-bin%3A23697638011%2Cp_n_feature_twenty-three_browse-bin%3A13580787011|13580788011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011&rnid=2421879011&s=electronics&sprefix=computer%2Celectronics%2C68&sr=1-2

If you'll take a peek at this.  Does this look like it's strong enough and fast enough to run even the DooM 2016 and Eternal's or Skyrim and still deliever at least 1080P recordings without catching fire?  Or does any spec still need to be higher from this?

Posted (edited)

"Graphics Card integrated" does not sound so convincing. Does anybody have experience with Intel HD Graphics 4000?. In addition, I don't have the slightest clue about MS-Windows screen recording performance requirements, sorry.

Edited by DoomGater
stumbled upon the intergated G'card

5 hours ago, LegendaryEevee said:

Background History:  This PC was built as a Windows 7 computer back in 2014 (was new then).  When Windows 10 came out it was updated via CD to Windows 10 64 bit.

If it was new then it was more like 2007.

You do have a mechanical hard drive in there, and to make matters worse it's a 5400rpm budget drive.  So most of the slowness is because of that (operating systems today are just not optimized to run off mechanical hard drives anymore so an SSD is basically a necessity).  You could probably add a 500GB SSD and move the operating system to that (using the hard drive for general storage).  This would make a huge difference, however unless you're literally unable to afford an upgrade I would strongly recommend a new computer at this point as a computer of that vintage will always be a bit on the slow side.

If you want to pick up something used, I would recommend making sure that the machine meets the requirements for Windows 11 (even if you're one of the people that hate Windows 11 for whatever reason, this is still a good base line spec for an upgrade).  Basically means look for something with an AMD Ryzen 3000 or Intel Core 8000 series or newer (to preempt the "um actually" I've intentionally simplified).  I'm not particularly well versed in the prebuilt market so I don't have any specific recommendations, but based on things that have crossed my path I would imagine the Core 8000 series is cheap and easy to find since Intel seemed to sell a ton of them.

If you buy new, it would be hard to buy anything even remotely as slow as your current machine so you don't need to break the bank by getting the top of the line.  Again, I'm not able to give prebuilt recommendations but I'm sure there are decent options around $800 give or take.  Even if you need to go lower than that, if you have a budget in mind, someone might be able to suggest something that's reasonably upgradeable, but out of the box would still be way better than what you have.

4 hours ago, CravenCoyote said:

Please don't do this if you have an SSD

The Windows's "defrag" tool has for awhile now detected SSDs and instead is just a TRIM tool, so unless one tries this isn't a mistake that can be made anymore.

1 hour ago, DoomGater said:

"Graphics Card integrated" does not sound so convincing. Does anybody have experience with Intel HD Graphics 4000?. In addition, I don't have the slightest clue about MS-Windows screen recording performance requirements, sorry.

hi! my current lappy uses integrated [intel hd graphics 4000], [intel i7 2.70ghz], [windows 8.1] and [obs 27.2.4] (the last version that supports my lappy) to record my screen, albeit at 720p 30fps max. do note that some cool light effects in gzdoom do not work with my lappy though, such as shadows produced from dynamic light sources blocked with 1-sided linedef walls. something to keep in mind when buying [pc]s with old specs. good luck :)

7 hours ago, LegendaryEevee said:

@Redneckerz @Blzut3 @DoomGater @TheMagicMushroomMan Okay everyone here are updates after my hours long fight to get my home computer to a workable state (it's actually moving much quicker now):

Background History:  This PC was built as a Windows 7 computer back in 2014 (was new then).  When Windows 10 came out it was updated via CD to Windows 10 64 bit.

Lovely.

So you have a low spec Dual core processor from 2014, marred with a HD4000. So atleast it has (somewhat) modern API support. Sadly, GZDoom doesn't tend to play nice with Intel GPU's (Let alone at 1920x1200, the heck)

That computer sounds like it needs a clean reinstall if there is no budget available, or you should go for a cheap Core I5/Ryzen, perhaps something with integrated Radeon IGP. Those things are pretty powerful these days.

5 hours ago, LegendaryEevee said:

• A PS4 usually runs at 1080p, not 720p. Not sure where you got that form.
  • You aren't going to record 1080p footage with that.
1 hour ago, DoomGater said:

Yep, i do (I have a HD Graphics 4600, same generation, just a little more spice.) It was the first IGPU that could somewhate compete with PS360... in 2012-2013. So 720p, low settings for PS360 era games.

That doesn't matter for GZDoom though because the fact its Intel IGP means it isn't as stable as say Nvidia. DSDA on OpenGL would be the better option.

@LegendaryEevee if you don't want to fiddle around too much, then just get a cheap used B350 chipset based motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, it's still a nice CPU and has a built-in GPU that must support even modern GZDoom builds. Other than that there are a lot of options but they are going to get much more expensive as you'll have to buy a good PSU, motherboard, CPU, GPU and RAM, which could be pointless to bring you the best doom experience but yeah that would also enable you to play modern games.

Still a very budget and outdated build like:

PSU: get any at least 500W non-chinesse brand, bronze certificate one. It must NOT be kcas 1000w.

CPU: AMD are all crap before gen 5, get old i7 and don't get old i5 (before gen 10) as they don't have SMT that adds more threads to your system and makes it run smoother. i7 3770, 4770, 4790, 6700 are good ways to go if you want to build a budget machine - there are overclockable "K" versions that may have survived up to this day in a state much worse than non-overclockable as it needs good cooling condititons and a sane mind not to kill it.

Motherboard: selected accordingly to a CPU you get, so you google it like "The best motherboard for i7 3770" for example;

GPU: go NVIDIA, cause AMD support for features GZDoom needs sucks, any starting with GTX 970, GTX 1060, GTX 1070;

Cooling solution: I prefer air fan coolers, must be copper where it contacts the CPU and 4 or better 6 copper pipes to the radiator;

Thermal solution: mx4 arctic, the best ratio everywhere;

RAM: for the CPUs listed above - DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Cl9 or 11 - TWO sticks, that's important;

Case: get a spacious one with holes at the front, rear and top sides to let for a good air flow. This will make your system run colder and silent;

SSD: get any non-chinesse designed but still could be made there, 256GB is a good minimum, strictly for drive C and your system and important software;

2) get another 512GB or 1TB one for games as they really need SSD badly nowadays to run smooth.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:
  • A PS4 usually runs at 1080p, not 720p. Not sure where you got that form.
  • You aren't going to record 1080p footage with that.

I have the original Playstation 4.  It displays on the TV everything in 1080P.  However when you do a Screen Capture of any of the games and either save it to a USB to upload on the CPU.  Or use it's internal Share Factory (what I normally do).  It saves the captures in 720P resolution.  Not 1080P.  From what I've researched both the Playstation 4 PRO will record 1080P Screen Captures.  So will the PS5.  That's why I've been stuck on whether to upgrade the PS4 to the PS5 (Ps4 pro makes no sense it's still over 400 online).  Or go with the CPU.  I'm mainly leaning CPU because if I can get it to run DooM 2016 than I can move everything to the CPU.  Get Skyrim for it to cover that let's play series.  I already have all of the classic games and Wads.  Seems like it'd go further having the PC and the PS5 could come later.

P.S. -- You have no idea how furious I was when I discovered this because everything on my side shows 1080P but yes apparently that was a limitation of the original PS4 and only notice when watching some of the videos back adding in their Time Stamps (cause looks normal when I edit them in Sharefactory).  Want to correct it now before I get into the bigger more interesting things like Eternal and Ancient Aliens / Plutonia / Eviternity type stuff.

Edited by LegendaryEevee

3 minutes ago, LegendaryEevee said:

I have the original Playstation 4.  It displays on the TV everything in 1080P.  However when you do a Screen Capture of any of the games and either save it to a USB to upload on the CPU.  Or use it's internal Share Factory (what I normally do).  It saves the captures in 720P resolution.  Not 1080P.  From what I've researched both the Playstation 4 PRO will record 1080P Screen Captures.  So will the PS5.  That's why I've been stuck on whether to upgrade the PS4 to the PS5 (Ps4 pro makes no sense it's still over 400 online).  Or go with the CPU.  I'm mainly leaning CPU because if I can get it to run DooM 2016 than I can move everything to the CPU.  Get Skyrim for it to cover that let's play series.  I already have all of the classic games and Wads.  Seems like it'd go further having the PC and the PS5 could come later.

P.S. -- You have no idea how furious I was when I discovered this because everything on my side shows 1080P but yes apparently that was a limitation of the original PS4 and only notice when watching some of the videos back adding in their Time Stamps.  Want to correct it now before I get into the bigger more interesting things like Eternal and Ancient Aliens / Plutonia / Eviternity type stuff.

Not sure what you mean by moving to the CPU when it comes to Doom 2016. Seems like you are intermixing your PS4 questions with your PC questions.

Yeah PS4 stock records in 720p. I have a Pro with Doom Eternal, so atleast i can do that. Else, you may want to invest into a external recording device that can capture natively (so in 1080p, or for the Pro usually 1440p).

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Not sure what you mean by moving to the CPU when it comes to Doom 2016. 

This is because currently I am running the following projects in their own separate Playlists.

Guided Walkthroughs w/Commentary & Timestamps for accessibility for:
DooM (all 6 Episodes) // DooM 2 // DooM 2016

Because it's w/Commentary they're recorded on the PS4 so they have the bad quality.

The WADs I have playlists running for:
Woody's World // Liminal DooM 2 // Final DooM Playstation Version

These look great because their on my suped up work computer on my breaks.  But since I'm in a cubicle can't record audio / commentary with anything.

Seems like having a cpu that can run worst case 2016 / Eternal means.  Everything can be done on the computer and I don't have to do some at work, some on the PS4.  That's what I mean, streamlining the process moving forward.

I thank everyone for their helpful suggestions I'm bookmarking and marking down all of these specs. as I've given myself 1-3 months to make whatever change needs to happen because ultimately that'll limit all of the content that may need remade down the road.

Edited by LegendaryEevee

30 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Lovely.

So you have a low spec Dual core processor from 2014, marred with a HD4000. So atleast it has (somewhat) modern API support. Sadly, GZDoom doesn't tend to play nice with Intel GPU's (Let alone at 1920x1200, the heck)

I don't think you read the screenshots right.  That's a Pentium Dual Core E6300 (Core 2 based) on a G33/G31 chipset (so GMA 3100 graphics).

Correction from my last post I guess that particular CPU SKU came out in 2009, but the machine really is 2007 hardware.

54 minutes ago, LegendaryEevee said:

Seems like having a cpu that can run worst case 2016 / Eternal means.  Everything can be done on the computer and I don't have to do some at work, some on the PS4.  That's what I mean, streamlining the process moving forward.

I thank everyone for their helpful suggestions I'm bookmarking and marking down all of these specs. as I've given myself 1-3 months to make whatever change needs to happen because ultimately that'll limit all of the content that may need remade down the road.

Anything better than a 2014 Core 2 based (They didn't even make that anymore in 2014) will do. A basic Ryzen 3 series will get you already far.

31 minutes ago, Blzut3 said:

I don't think you read the screenshots right.  That's a Pentium Dual Core E6300 (Core 2 based) on a G33/G31 chipset (so GMA 3100 graphics).

Correction from my last post I guess that particular CPU SKU came out in 2009, but the machine really is 2007 hardware.

Ha, even better. Did look for the G33/G31 combo, couldn't find an instant hit for the exact model and just went with HD4000. Serves me right.

Then i am just going to upgrade this PC to bargain bin, and if thats 2014, that's really on a shoestring budget.

13 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

It would be super cool if you made it so it was the player's screen that was on the TV/Monitor/Whatever, it would be trippy and meta as hell.

IDK if that is possible with Gzdoom. I would love to implement that.

#Update

Updated the PC with a massive retro PC case.

Screenshot_Doom_20240605_163218.png

40 minutes ago, neubejiita said:

IDK if that is possible with Gzdoom. I would love to implement that.

#Update

Updated the PC with a massive retro PC case.

Screenshot_Doom_20240605_163218.png

What ISN'T possible with GZDoom?

Also that addition looks rad.

wouldn't the huge ass monitor be somewhat a nuisance? That size would probably make my eyes look similar to a hippie's lol.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:24 PM, Redneckerz said:

CCleaner

I wouldn't recommend this nowadays, at best it's placeboware and at worst it may do damage to the system that's not easily solvable unless you know what you're doing.