Floppy disk backup set for complete source code for Doom on SNES found and archived.

I wasn't prepared for this. My dream has come true after all these years!

SNES DOOM extended modding lessgo~

Hot damn this is great news.

As an aside, at first I thought the titlebar in the last shot said "1,692,432 graphics men and 7,485,176 other men" and wondered what horrible tragedy had befallen them 

Important milestone in historic preservation right here. Lets see where this takes SNES Dooming.

5 minutes ago, user76828904 said:

Thanks.

Is Doom Nitro Edition coming to SNES?

Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It'll be easier than ever to do stuff now that the biggest hurdle (the art) is resolved though.

Probably not viable (mainly due to memory limitations) but I wonder if a SNES port of DooM 2 is more likely now? I think some maps like MAP15 may have to be completely omitted due to size but it'd be fun to see! :D

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It'll be easier than ever to do stuff now that the biggest hurdle (the art) is resolved though.

I can dream... O_O

I wonder if we'll ever get a PC port of SNES Doom. Considering its link to the original source code is very low, it would be interesting to mess with. Also with working circlestrafing.

2 hours ago, Lucius Wooding said:

Now we can port Doom 64 to the Snes at last.

My eyes water just thinking about that.

7 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I wasn't prepared for this. My dream has come true after all these years!

SNES DOOM extended modding lessgo~ 

Thread theme:

It's weird cause I'd almost certainly never have the opportunity to play it on actual hardware or even witness it in person, but I'd love to see both a more optimized, faster running and/or feature complete version of DOOM running on a real SNES. I don't know why. My brain just wants it to exist.

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 6:59 AM, Daytime Waitress said:

Thread theme:

I'm going with this;

*ahem* Now back on topic.

On 6/9/2024 at 7:20 AM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

I wonder if those floppy disc backups include the levels that got cut from the SNES port.

Yes they do! I just asked Sunlitspace542 about this, and here's his answer.

EXcIL2RwebU3.png?o=1

On 6/9/2024 at 12:47 AM, Roebloz said:

(Though bad news for me, since now I'm gonna have competition!)

I know that's not your main point, but competition shouldn't always be treated negatively like that...

Edited by taufan99

14 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I know that's not your main point, but competition shouldn't always be treated negatively like that...

I was just joking around. (Besides, I haven't made a SNES Doom, or Doom level in general in months, so you are free to take my crown... c:)

Cacodemontube has been made aware. (We're both in a discord DM with Randy Linden himself, who also let us know about it)

Posted (edited)

The guy who has been updating the SNES DOOM source code repo on Github via forking has made a romhack consisting of two DOOM II maps converted to the SNES port. I'm waiting for the time we can make custom maps for the port more easily without a "secret" intermediary. :)

EDIT: And here's how you can add custom levels to your custom SNES DOOM build. The repo keeps getting constant updates, so keep your eyes peeled on it!

Edited by taufan99

On 6/9/2024 at 5:44 AM, Danfun64 said:

I wonder if we'll ever get a PC port of SNES Doom. Considering its link to the original source code is very low, it would be interesting to mess with. Also with working circlestrafing.

Just realized this, but circlestrafing for the SNES port is already available as a romhack way back in 2020.

There was this thing I remember Randy mentioning about the SNES version of Doom, where he wanted to implement HDMA into the code for SNES Doom to potentially half the amount of work the Super FX would have to handle and increase framerates. I don't know much about SNES programming, but I wonder if someone could implement that.

https://wiki.superfamicom.org/grog's-guide-to-dma-and-hdma-on-the-snes