Mudvayne.wad (Looking for feedback and criticism!)

Title pretty much explains. Really epic and cool maps, really just looking for some feedback. I really need it because I love Doom, I love Doom mapping, and I love improving. All five maps are named after a band or song by a band I listen to.

Map 1: I Declare War

Map 2: KoRn-ography 

Map 3: Threat Level No. 3

Map 4: Slipknot

Map 5: Down With The System

Photos: https://x.com/ewwaurik2/status/1799630483174895713 

Mudvayne.zip

Posted (edited)

A good few maps with decent combat that ramps up significantly around MAP04. Level design is decent, with varied environments and decent texturing.

The first few maps start out very basic, with simple techbase designs but they work for what they are. They do seem a bit bland at times with the same

lighting and low-tier monsters. But if this is how the author started out, it makes sense design-wise.

A good little wad that may suffer from some gameplay flow problems, but definitely worth checking out.

I found some issues, see below;

Spoiler

The Soulsphere guarded by a 10 Revenants comes out of nowhere. You have no way to deal with that kind of monster yet,

so you either end up dying (like I did) or you are forced to run away. Not good design.

Additionally, the switch nearby that lowers the lift to the yellow key is redundant, since you can just activate the lift directly.

There's no indication that MAP04 exits, it just ends. It's good to tell the player that they are at the level exit, in case they want to

go back and look for secrets and/or explore more. Same goes for MAP05, it's just a switch behind a regular looking door.

The secret switch that lowers the Plasmagun platform in MAP05 can only be activated once.

In MAP05, the rooms with the wooden ceilings (cool design by the way!) there are several monsters stuck. A Chaingunner in the first room, and a Revenant and 3 Zombiemen in the big room.

The last room with the big battle; after I had killed the monsters with the BFG and grabbed the blue key, I had no idea what to do.

The marble texture on the entrance ramp looked different so I thought it was a lift. Alas it was a hidden switch which I activated

through the wall, opening the door to the exit.

If you want the player to fight the two Cyberdemons, perhaps another switch or a trigger could take care of that instead.

You should also probably supply more ammo, as at that point I had none left to fight the Cybies with.

Edited by Zesiir

Zesiir, thank you for the feedback! I will use this for my future WADs. The first three maps are some of my older maps, I spiced them up a little bit for the WAD. Slipknot and DWTS are my two newest ones. Yeah, that revenant thing was cheeky, I loved that. Also, the door to the exit of MAP04 has a Exit sign above it, but I am just realizing that it isn't very visible.