DOOM 6 TRAILER

For those worried that “Doomhammer 40K” is somehow going to be the foreseeable future of the Doom franchise, it was mentioned that Dark Ages will be part of a trilogy (the other two entries being 2016 and Eternal).

More than likely, this is a one-game detour.

Besides, multiple versions of Doom are allowed to exist anyway.

I mean, we did get multiple versions of Doom that didn’t actually involve any demons whatsoever (though it’s mainly just extended universe stuff).

Onto my thoughts regarding the Dark Ages:

This should feel like a refreshing title to play, especially as it does seem like that “monster truck” gameplay is in full effect (for those out of the loop, Hugo Martin mentioned that while Eternal would be like a “sports car”, Dark Ages would be more like a “monster truck”).

Plus, the more medieval designs of the demons are very interesting (especially the more Grim Reaper aesthetic of the Revenant, and the Mancubus having a cross between its Doom 64 incarnation and its Doom 3 incarnation).

Also, it’s nice to see them return to the grittier style of 2016. 

5 minutes ago, Votterbin said:

Honestly this looks quite fun. Reminds me of Serious Sam with Quake aesthetics.

Doesn't look like they're leaning more into Eternal's gameplay loop which is fine by me. As much as I enjoy Eternal I don't know if I can take a second game that requires me to nail my balls to the wall. Actually, the Slayer's Club article specifically says they took inspiration from the classic games so this might be a more expanded version of those.

But they're also calling this a cinematic game, whcih idk if I'm entirely on board with for a Doom game? Yea Eternal had cutscenes and a full story but those were at least not entirely necessary and you could glean the story from most of the dialogue during gameplay. If I enjoy the story in the final game then I won't care, but as it stands I don't know if I'll be into a more "cinematic" Doom game.

I'm sure you'll be able to skip cutscenes, surely (hopefully) , even if it is a more cinematic game, I have trust in id that it won't be at Doom 3 levels. It worked a little better in 3 because it was slower, more methodical.

But if we're kicking ass and running around with our chainsaw shield and then boom there's a Horizon Forbidden West type of cutscene that's unskippable... then there might be a serious pacing problem in this game. But id understands their audience and what they want, so I'm going to trust them and believe the cutscenes will be at least skippable.

As much as I’m a sucker for medieval-themed stuff. I’m getting a bit tired of the direction this concept is taking in the franchise, especially in the main lore... It doesn’t feel like Doom anymore.

Cool weapons showcase I guess but I'm not fully convinced with the Serious sam-ish gameplay... fucking dragon flights and mecha fights in a Doom game feel so unnecessary though.

The assets are nice but I'm skeptical of the direction the series has been in( it was pretty basic from the start but since 2016 it's been complete edgy larp), it seems like they've milked it so hard that they're now using random things instead of it being doom it's probably an inevitable part of any series that becomes too big, were currently on "doom but it's berserk" but after that it will probably be "doom but it's open world".

Much as I'm not a fan of them going further in the lore that Eternal set up and delving into the whole medieval angle, I can get over it at the end of the day. In the same way I just ignore the story and lore of Eternal in the rare times I revisit that game.

If it's a more grounded game, with the pace and gameplay not as incredibly fast as Eternal's was, I'll probably have much more fun with it. Interesting to see no showcasing of glory kills; not sure if that's intentional, maybe they've gotten rid of/replaced that system, or just didn't show them for this trailer for whatever reason. Weapons also look neat, that skull-shredding shotgun is especially gnarly.

1 hour ago, Cutman 999 said:

Idk you, but the gameplay looks really odd in this trailer, maybe is the effect of the early 2016 footage, but this looks stupefyingly slow, and the shield mechanic looks more something coming from hexen rather than doom. Also, that mancubus exploding from a mid-range ssg shot looks fake as fuck, it is obvious most of the gameplay footage was made only for the trailer and it would not reflect anything in the final release.

Maybe I'll be wrong once the game releases, but I was hoping ID would expand on the "Stylish shooter" approach eternal had, to see if they find a way to not get most of its core mechanics surpassed by an indie game AKA Ultrakill. But I'm kind of worried looking at the trailer, doesn't highlight any fast-paced gameplay nor anything that feels akin to that.

keep in mind that both of the 2016 and eternal trailers showed gameplay of the slayer playing slow and deliberate, probably so casual viewers can whats going on, as opposed to how ADHD-pumped advanced nu-doom gameplay looks like when we got to play it

Posted (edited)

Ahhh it looks cool but I have low expectations. I hope they completely dropped the glory kills.

Edited by Doom_Dude

Doesn't look half-bad if I do say so myself. The dragon section(s) will probably have a bunch of potential.

I F***ing hate myself for even making this joke.

DOOM 6 : Army of Darkness

Klatu...

"I said a Better Boom Stick, not a Bigger one"

VeyyyRaaaTaaaaAAAAAhawww

"Deadites, Head KNights, THey squish all the same"

NICCCCTOHHOHHHH

"Is this what it all comes down to?  A chainsaw, my last bottle, and using Deadite blood as gasoline?"

<Dumg> <Dumg> <Dumg>

" Oh yeah, ugly? That's MR S-Mart-Ass to you."

<whooshy wind>

"Well, In the end all the small things were gonna party like Rock Stars. I'm not Okay and you wear me out."

Klatu...

"Nope. I'm never gonna give you up. I got friends in low places, but they aint down with the sickness."

<DUMG> <DUMG>

" When I said go to hell, I didn't mean that I was buying the season pass"

<Chainsaw idle>

Can't discuss nuDooM in the DooM discord because it's all memelord teenagers.

Can't discuss nuDooM on Doomworld because much of the userbase is traditionalist and any amount of geometric curves or narrative turns y'all into curmudgeons.

Dark Ages mostly looked great from the trailer. The weapon concepts are cool as hell and the game looks like it kept the speed while ditching all the acrobatics. They continue to improve on the design of the Mancubus and like someone else said I'm glad that it at least looks like there will be swarms of enemies. I could do without whatever the dragon/mount is going to bring to the game and the story is likely take or leave, but overall this seems like it'll be another solid entry for the IP. 

Plus it'll give me an excuse to upgrade my GPU.

6 minutes ago, Zirtonic said:

Can't discuss nuDooM on Doomworld because much of the userbase is traditionalist and any amount of geometric curves or narrative turns y'all into curmudgeons.

yep, unfortunately. just gonna quote a previous post of mine:

hugo's law: any thread even slightly involving nu-doom will invariably devolve into people bitching and moaning about doom eternal

At this point I would prefer a realistic game with sci-fi touches than the evolutionary dead-end street that is this over-the-top, cartoony style of Doom Eternal.
I'm not exactly thrilled.

Posted (edited)

Those guys have good ideas (not when it comes to writing lore lol) but it just isn't Doom, at this point... And it doesn't have to be! So why shove it into Doom?? Do your own thing, your own thing is fine anyways... Or make a new fucking Quake for once, you know, given the setting. Gameplay looks cool at least...

And that mancubus, holy shit, that is their best design ever.

Edited by Pancrasio

Considering the theme, setting, and timeframe of this Doom game, it sounds like it's going to look like a futurized version of Hexen and Dark Souls. If the main protagonist is being called 'Doom Slayer', then the name 'Doom Slayer' would sound like a title that's given to specialized strong fighters and perhaps, the Doom Slayer depicted in this game might be the ancestor of Doom Slayer depicted in Doom (2016) and Doom Eternal, and perhaps, maybe also the ancestor of B.J. Blazkowicz.

I like it. Looks like we're going to see what Doomguy was up to during his time with the Night Sentinels. The arsenal looks inventive too, which is good to see in my book. Morningstar flail, chainsaw shield, a gun that uses (demon?) skulls for ammo, and a gun that looks like it shoots swords. Hopefully that means we can nail enemies to walls, like a fully automatic version of the crossbow in HL2.

We might also get to pilot a giant robot and ride a dragon. It's all quite silly but conveyed in a deadly serious tone, like a power metal album cover brought to life.

I was thinking about saving up for a new PC last week, and this new game seems like another good reason to start. Feels like only a few days ago that this game was a rumour.

11 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Hopefully that means we can nail enemies to walls, like a fully automatic version of the crossbow in HL2.

What came across my mind was instead Painkiller's stake gun/grenade launcher.

23 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Feels like only a few days ago that this game was a rumour.

i mean...it literally was

2 minutes ago, roadworx said:

i mean...it literally was

So it's not just my imagination then. Feels like a weirdly short time in any case. Seems like they did a good job to keep it under wraps.

2 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

So this is a very good thread:

But you dont understand, its no longer the Doom i remember there for its ruined and objectively bad.

Kidding aside, i cant believe its real and its Glorious. *Queue Bobby Roode music

In fact, I even like that the developers decided to crank up the absurdity and nonsense.

Like, "WE HAVE FUKCIN DARGONS AND SHILD-SAW, COOL RIT??"

At least the game can actually be truly entertaining.

Absurd = funny.

I think it looks great! Like I said in the other thread, I wasn't too sure about focusing on the medieval stuff, but I think I'm warming up to it (though I think it could use a bit more saturation).

It looks the game seems to be focusing on massive hordes contained in huge, wide open spaces compared to the tighter but more vertical arenas with smaller enemy counts in the previous two games. It could be a fun change of pace.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Zirtonic said:

You've just described every scene ever. Literally. Every. Fucking. Scene.

And like all the other scenesters, I will have my say.

Personally, I'm not heavily into any game I can't map for, which basically describes every game since 2004 or so.

As for Doom, its story and concept has always been incoherent. The mix of sci-fi elements with Hell and goat-footed demons was an open invitation to absurd story elements such as all the ridiculous lore attached to the game since 2016, especially since Doom Eternal. Quake is the same way. It mixes Ogres, futuristic soldiers and even sword-wielding knights in ways that make little or no sense. Then you have Quake 2 which is more of a sci-fi Doom game and has literally nothing to do with the original Quake, and Quake 4 followed in that direction. And tell me that big turreted 4-barrel gun in the Dark Ages trailer doesn't remind you of Quake 4.

IOW, the Doom and Quake franchises are tied together in strange ways, with maybe a Hexen wrapper.

So I reckon Dark Ages represents the ultimate melding of Doom with Quake 1, and we should just accept that's the way it is. I plan to buy it myself.

Btw, if you look at the Quake mapping community, it's basically 100% Quake 1. There is no love for Quake 2 or 4. They like the original medieval mosh pit with a sprinkling of futuristic soldiers and the occasional robot. No Doom masquerading as Quake over there! ;D

Last note: I unironically enjoyed Doom 3. It was IMO an excellent take on the creepier side of Doom as was exemplified in E2 of Doom 1. Oozing atmosphere more than action, turning Doom into survival horror, was just fine in my book.

Edited by Steve D

Posted (edited)

I am beyond hyped for this. I think it will be super cool to see the Slayer's time with the Night Sentinels before he gets trapped in that sarcophagus. I wonder if it will start out with him still being the marine and winding up on Sentinel Prime. The Slayer's Club article did mention the "superhuman strength of the Slayer," so I assume if it starts that way we will also see him get his divinity machine upgrade for real this time, not just in a flashback.

And on a related note, I'm also looking forward to seeing what kind of mods people come up with for classic Doom inspired by this!

I did see somebody already made the shield saw. https://twitter.com/CreeperOfSteam/status/1799882545070543278

Edited by varia_the_hunter

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

So this is a very good thread: 

*image of some stuff*

This game built on a loose hodgepodge of aesthetics drawn from the authors' eclectic and unrelated interests doesn't conform to the arbitrary snapshot impression I crystalized in my head as a child! It's like I don't even know this game anymore!

Edited by Gifty

5 hours ago, EraserheadBaby said:

I think they were trying to make a new Hexen and accidentally used guns.  The gameplay looks great, but this is becoming a parody of itself. This feels like it's gonna be a cringy extension of the terrible Eternal lore.  A stain on a great game.  That opening line made me puke in my mouth. I think they should wait longer and try again with the thematic elements. The cape, shield, firearms combo feels like "and then" fan fic.  Also, I'm tired of rage monster, indestructible doom slayer. It was cute and campy at first, but I like DOOMguy better.

If they want to be this over the top, they should just go full Duke Nukem with it and be outright funny.  As it stands, this feels a bit like shadow the hedgehog was on the dev team. 

Let it be known that I've liked every DOOM game, even 3 and I'm sure this one will be fun. I'm not a belligerent hater, I just see pointless, embarrassing, boring writing on the horizon. 

TBF, this series has always been loaded with edge. The difference only comes with Doom 1-2 being 90s edgy (heavy metal, gore galore, flying burning skulls of death, ect), while this is more late 2010s edgy. I don't like how convoluted the series looks now, but I think it carries the same spirit for the most part.

It's decent, I guess. I'm not particularly sold on it. I genuinely thought the title was a bait by id for a quake game but looks like I'm wrong here.

Finally, the Doom game with create-a-character tier Doomguy looks, Drakengard looking flight, and Knack II giant robot mechanics that I've been begging for

Also: having been playing shooters long enough to see vehicle sections be cool, get unbearably tiresome, drop off for about 10 years, then come back and be cool again is making me feel fucking ancient.