DOOM: THE DARK AGES (DOOM 6)

Tom Henderson at Insider Gaming has reported that on June 9th at the Xbox Showcase. The next game in the Doom series will be revealed as Doom The Dark Ages though it was previously known as Doom Year Zero internally.

The Insider states that this game has been in development for around 4 years. and was described as a "medieval-inspired doom world."

This is an assumption from my end but this may take place between Doom 64 and 2016 when the Doomslayer worked with the night sentinels. And it will be more like Army of Darkness to Doom Eternals Evil Dead 2

here is the article describing this, the reporter is very accurate and others have been pointing to a new doom to be at the Xbox showcase.
https://insider-gaming.com/doom-the-dark-ages/

So, if Doom 6 is next in line for ID, what do you hope or expect to see?
Other than that, ID may be stuck in the doom mines for years instead of making a quake reboot to attempt to prevent Microsoft from closing them like Tango Gameworks and Arcane Austin.

Sounds like the sequel might be even more over-the-top than Doom Eternal tone-wise. If so, that's not as much my jam.

More importantly, though, will be its gameplay, and as long as they don't double-down on the stoplight gameplay they used for Eternal, I remain optimistic.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Oh no, nu-Doom's about to get its Youngblood.

wait till we hear about if the campaign is designed around co op first. 

but to be serious, why do you think that this is the case? just want to hear your reasoning.

Edited by Terrcraft

My cynical ass thinking the third entry in the new universe will be a spinoff that manages to alienate all of its audience after its prior game was polarizing compared to the first game that reinjected life into the franchise for a new era. It would just be an unfortunate coincidence.

2 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

My cynical ass thinking the third entry in the new universe will be a spinoff that manages to alienate all of its audience after its prior game was polarizing compared to the first game that reinjected life into the franchise for a new era. It would just be an unfortunate coincidence.

i guess that would be the ancient gods because that was received pretty mixed reviews at least to me

Posted (edited)

Sounds like we'll be seeing Doomguy's time with the Night Sentinels. Makes sense, they wrote themselves into a corner with the ending to TAG2.

Edit: Didn't read Terr's post where they said the same thing, sorry

Edited by Votterbin

would be really weird if tag2 was really the end of doom

especially when its the dlc to a game called doom eternal

When it comes to rumors, I am normally very skeptical, but in this case, the leak is just so close to the actual date that's being proposed for the reveal. June 8th is just a couple of weeks away, there's absolutely no reason why Tom Henderson would say what he said if he doesn't believe it to be true and risk ruining his reputation in two weeks.

Also, as mentioned by OP, the project was initially called "DOOM: Year Zero" which was found out from the leaked Microsoft FTC documents. So it definitely matches the original theme/name.

We'll find out by June 8th for sure! Hope to see something awesome!!

28 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

And my source for this is...

https://insider-gaming.com/doom-the-dark-ages/

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/the-next-doom-is-called-doom-the-dark-ages-with-medieval-themes-and-its-coming-to-both-xbox-and-playstation

https://x.com/NateTheHate2/status/1794109253856161986?t=6nfk3lHsBdNjo7TkOdtxnA&s=19

All 3 of these people have pretty decent track records for insider information.

And besides we will find out what's going on pretty soon anyways on June 9th if this is true or not

3 hours ago, TMMMS said:

so a doom x heretic crossover?

Screw DOOM x Heretic crossover, I want a DOOM x Catacomb 3D crossover.

Sounds like it has a shitton of potential. I always think back to Hugo's comments about how he'd like to have the next Doom game feel more like a monster truck than a Ferrari. If they are indeed going for a more medieval feel, I would conclude they probably plan on slowing things down a bit, assuming they do away with the Meathook and the dash. I'm totally open to that.

Personally, I've always wondered what a Doom game would look like post-hell On Earth---the fallen Icon of Sin, the ruined cities everywhere, the fractured Moon, Mars being cratered, all create a fertile setting for interesting gameplay and lore. But I'm totally down for them going to a new setting and time period. We shall see what awaits us. 

plot is probably doomguy awakens in another version of earth but one in the dark ages, there is a UAC of this world it is a council of wizards and they accidentally open a portal releasing demons, so doomguy has to fight demons in the dark ages now

56 minutes ago, kevansevans said:

It would be really funny if the internal code name was "Doom: The Dark Ages" and it's really a Quake game. A medieval setting makes more sense in the context of Quake than it does Doom, and it's pretty often companies will use codenames for internal projects to obfuscate leaks.

it seems that this game's code name was that Doom Year Zero thing that got floated around a bit ago. I'm pretty sure its a doom game. but honestly I kinda wanted a new quake more honestly so I would be happy if you were right

2 minutes ago, roadworx said:

oh, so they're going from doom eternal to eternal doom, okay

kinda based honestly

5 minutes ago, roadworx said:

oh, so they're going from doom eternal to eternal doom, okay

There is nothing I dislike in this sentence.

Hoo boy, already a ton of “BUT WHAT ABOUT QUAKE/HERETIC/HEXEN THO”

Well, you see, after everything that’s happened the past few weeks, Doom is most likely the best bet to ensure id Software doesn’t get smoted by Microsoft.

Also, it hasn’t been until very recently that the copyright entanglement issue with Heretic/Hexen has been (seemingly) resolved, but most likely wasn’t resolved before id started working on the next game.

But yeah, I really wanted a new Quake title too, and I’m not feeling 100% about id becoming the House of Doom.

Besides, we still have the actual reveal to check out.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mystic 256 said:

plot is probably doomguy awakens in another version of earth but one in the dark ages, there is a UAC of this world it is a council of wizards and they accidentally open a portal releasing demons, so doomguy has to fight demons in the dark ages now

THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN

Demon dogs!

I wonder if it will have swords & sorcery, or will it be more realistic GoT style. Will Doom guy use lances and bows with arrows, or magic staves and stringless crossbows? Will he be able to steal handheld chainguns from heavy weapon dudes? Will his weak medieval ears and hands be overwhelmed by the superior technology? 

Edited by printz

I'll have to wait and see a trailer. To be honest, as much as I love and prefer Doom - I was really hoping for a Quake 1 reboot. There could be one by MachineGames, but I really wanted id to be the ones to do it. I'll still get hyped over anything Doom though - even if "The Dark Ages" is a very weird title for a Doom game to have.

Also, as irrational as it is because it's likely a continuation from the "Year Zero" leak from a while ago, I do hope this is not a prequel set during the Slayer's time in Argent D'Nur. I do want to see what happens next after TAG2, a long-awaited follow-up being a prequel kinda bugs me - like how I felt about Serious Sam 3 being a prequel to Serious Sam 1, then somehow Serious Sam 4 being a prequel to Serious Sam 3. Alternatively though, perhaps "Dark Ages" is referring to the time of the Slayer being imprisoned - I don't really see why the Slayer's time during Argent D'Nur would be considered the "dark ages". There were some rumblings of Doom's ties to Quake, like with the Maykrs supposedly transforming into eldritch beings post-Transfiguration or Hugo wanting to go "monster truck" rather than Ferrari for their next title, and with the reported "medieval" setting of Dark Ages, that's something else Quake-adjacent. Maybe they'll combine that with the speculation of a female protagonist a while ago, Crash, to tie Doom and Quake together and it's about her during the "dark ages" of the Slayer's imprisonment. I'm just coping here though, safe bet is a Argent D'Nur-set prequel.

Anyways, only two weeks left to go until we find out. I wonder if they'll ever address that (likely canceled) comic/codex that was supposedly close to completion ages ago and was meant to tie 2016 and Eternal together...

Posted (edited)

Well, I guess I'll have to take back my previous statement about a DOOM announcement being unlikely at the Xbox Showcase. I only hope it's a normal singleplayer game and not some co-op thing.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

The medieval fantasy stuff was my least favorite aspect of Doom Eternal, and makes me think someone wants to have their cake and eat it too by making a Heretic or Hexen type game but with the sales of a Doom game.