DOOM: THE DARK AGES (DOOM 6)

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Digging the seeming lack of a jump, the "inspired by the original Doom (1993)" quote makes me think this will be much more like a bullet hell, yet another reinterpretation of what a modern Doom game can be. I don't think anyone saying "it looks like Eternal" is paying close attention because everything from the game speed to the mechanics to the level design (wide open spaces, lots of room for slow moving projectiles) looks completely different. 

Glad to see not only I noticed. It would be so funny and ironic if the NuDOOM game with the biggest divergance in setting and art style ends up having the closest gameplay to the classics. How would DoomWorld react to that LMAO

Edited by Scorcher

Looks really cool. Loving the skull grinder weapon in particular. That said, I hope this is a one-game detour into a medieval inspired setting and that future titles go back to the franchise's sci-fi roots. I can see id using this as a testbed for a new Quake title. Reusing stuff made from this game could help reduce time and money for such a venture. Hopefully we'll get an extended gameplay trailer at QuakeCon. 

Just now, Agent Strange said:

Looks really cool. Loving the skull grinder weapon in particular. That said, I hope this is a one-game detour into a medieval inspired setting and that future titles go back to the franchise's sci-fi roots. I can see id using this as a testbed for a new Quake title. Reusing stuff made from this game could help reduce time and money for such a venture. Hopefully we'll get an extended gameplay trailer at QuakeCon. 

There's still sci fi in this, if you look in the background of the mech fight scene there's a UAC base.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'm liking the look of this game, but I would get extra excited for a new single-player entry in the Quake series that goes back to the Lovecraftian roots of the first game.

Fingers crossed for the next time?

Edited by NoXion

2 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

There's still sci fi in this, if you look in the background of the mech fight scene there's a UAC base.

Oh, I missed that detail. I guess I should've said "traditional" sci-fi. Either way, I'm excited but like others have said, I think the fantasy stuff should be saved for Quake. 

Posted (edited)

Surely we're still getting a new Quake at some point. We know it's at least in preprod since we saw the logo on MachineGames' whiteboard during the Indiana Jones BTS.

Spoiler

image.png.2dedd82060a00cd5d92ae24715aa8c59.png

I wonder if MachineGames is helming production on that entirely. Which doesn't seem to bode well for id either way you look at it.

Edited by Votterbin

14 minutes ago, Votterbin said:

Surely we're still getting a new Quake at some point. We know it's at least in preprod since we saw the logo on MachineGames' whiteboard during the Indiana Jones BTS.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2dedd82060a00cd5d92ae24715aa8c59.png

I wonder if MachineGames is helming production on that entirely. Which doesn't seem to bode well for id either way you look at it.

You understand that was a joke, right? That says Quake 6, Quake 5 isn't even a thing.

Posted (edited)
Just now, Edward850 said:

You understand that was a joke, right? That says Quake 6, Quake 5 isn't even a thing.

Aw, it was? Damn. I assumed Champions was considered 5

Edited by Votterbin

36 minutes ago, Agent Strange said:

Oh, I missed that detail. I guess I should've said "traditional" sci-fi. Either way, I'm excited but like others have said, I think the fantasy stuff should be saved for Quake. 

To be honest, they could have changed the player model and slapped the Quake name on this and it would have worked. Arguably better than it does the Doom franchise. Unfortunately we're in a time where so much money is involved in game development and companies want guaranteed sales/installer base.

If the circumstances around it were different I could see this being released as Quake 5.

Think it looks cool but its hard to me to want to play it after what ID did to Mick. I assume Hulshult is back on this one but everything he does sounds like if an AI made metal music.

9 hours ago, Artyoman said:

Same happened to Quake 2, entirely new art direction yet Quake 2 was amazing and fun to play, so let's just hope they won't fuck up gameplay. Also that SSG holy fuck it's amazing

I could forgive it with Quake II because in the late 90s id was riding the momentum of Quake 1's success and were rushing on a deadline. Quake II also shouldn't have really been considered a Quake game to begin with, but it stuck the landing because id software's singleplayer formula was at its peak. 

The difference that I'm seeing with Dark Ages is that we can see id embracing what were essentially the weaker aspects of Eternal's gameplay and themes. I think if they were to return to 2016's gameplay feel and aesthetics as a basis and worked off of that, I would have more faith in what I'm seeing, but I'm just not really seeing that at all.

Posted (edited)

It's clear now that Microsoft owns the Activision realm, this allows id software to utilize Heretic/ Hexen in future releases. I've discussed with a few folks over the years and they stated as badly as some wanted to revisit those games, the IP at the time was held up preventing them from doing so.

Now that hurdle has been cleared, seems we might be getting a serpent riders origin story in Dark Ages.

Hello again, D'Sparil....

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240610_103917_Facebook~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240610_103919_Facebook~2.jpg

ddz2f97-e25876ca-8239-4422-b27e-74244fb5d55c.png

Screenshot_20240610_114459_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240610_113439_Reddit~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240610_114648_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240610_111719_Facebook~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240610_025822_Facebook~4.jpg

Edited by Dynamo
Better put so many images under a spoiler.

What I believe is the full video for the clip shown above:

'Grounded levels', "you are an abrams tank instead of a fighter jet", "stand and fight combat", "slower projectiles", "change of pace". They removed the best thing from eternal which was movement and turned the game into serious sam. My hype died.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Stoltzmann said:

'Grounded levels', "you are an abrams tank instead of a fighter jet", "stand and fight combat", "slower projectiles", "change of pace". They removed the best thing from eternal which was movement and turned the game into serious sam. My hype died.

They said in an interview that they are making movement similar to Doom 1, when a huge number of large projectiles forced the player to move in special way. In addition, I think they will add new interactive things to the environments that will add variety to the "flat" levels

Edited by Doom reboot World

2 hours ago, Buckshot said:

It's clear now that Microsoft owns the Activision realm, this allows id software to utilize Heretic/ Hexen in future releases. I've discussed with a few folks over the years and they stated as badly as some wanted to revisit those games, the IP at the time was held up preventing them from doing so.

Now that hurdle has been cleared, seems we might be getting a serpent riders origin story in Dark Ages.

Hello again, D'Sparil....

Screenshot_20240610_111719_Facebook~2.jpg

The scare is a little far fetched, but I agree with you.

You also see a Hell Soldier on top of what looks like a Chaos Serpent/Pinky Hybrid.

40 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

"for fans of the original doom this is gonna feel like a return to form"

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, fruity lerlups said:

"for fans of the original doom this is gonna feel like a return to form"

That's a pretty bold claim. While the Doom fanbase isn't as unappeasable as some, there's a vocal minority who don't like nu-Doom or who prefer the 2016 game over Eternal and its DLCs. I'll bet that there will be some folks who'll disagree with that statement.

Me, I'll be happy as long as it's good.

Edited by NoXion

So, noticing a much slower pace compared to Eternal. The projectiles are slower and the new Imp slowly walks to you instead of leaping around like a monkey, like classic Imps. More enemies on screen, more grounded movement, and sounds like glory kills are gone. Maybe with a good physics engine you can just smash demons wherever you want and have unique kills every time. Glory gibs!

And the new id Tech engine, why the Hell on Earth do they not open this engine up like Unreal (Bethesda probably)? Imagine what modders and indie developers could do. 

Watched the Gamespot interview. There was a lot of talk about breaking up the normal level-level routine and having more "open" areas for exploration that you would go back too.  So perhaps some type of linear wide style world?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Buckshot said:
  Hide contents

ddz2f97-e25876ca-8239-4422-b27e-74244fb5d55c.png

omfg CHAD Korax?

Spoiler

0f6rms2.png

Edited by xdarkmasterx

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Novaseer said:

I fucking knew it, Hugo literally confirms about 2.5 minutes in that the gameplay would be closer to classic DOOM style.

We may actually be so fucking back.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted (edited)

Hopefully, this will be more like Doom 2016 and less like Eternal.

Either way, tentatively excited for the release!

Edited by Firedust

Pretty interesting interview. Missed hearing Hugo geek about random shit. Didn't expect them to put Marty in any interviews after the Mick situation. A few key points:

- They mentioned "more than double the AI". 2016 had 12-16 and Eternal had 20-24 iirc - if they actually have "more than double", that would be a lot of enemies to have on screen. Would be very cool to see what kind of combat encounters they can have now.

- They mentioned slower projectile speeds and opting out of multi-tiered arenas (in the style of Eternal), and that the weaving between projectiles will be the "jungle gym" for the player to navigate through. I'm starting to suspect they indeed took out jumping from the game - which honestly sounds very exciting because of how committed they seem to be about the grounded approach.

- They mentioned having locations that you can return to and have "open up", also mentioning sandboxes. He did mention there will still be traditional linear sections but it seems they're going for a more open space design. Sandboxes would imply non-linearity but we'll have to wait and see.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AtimZarr1 said:

Sandboxes would imply non-linearity but we'll have to wait and see.

God I hope they're not jumping onto the whole "open world" trend. DOOM is the last series that needs that.

Too be clear, I'd be fine with somewhat more "open-ended" levels along the lines of Crysis 1, but I'd hate to see it go much further than that.

Edited by chemo

Makes sense that they might be going for a more measuredly-paced, dense combat design considering Deternal sort of pushes the verticality/speed about as far as it could reasonably go without turning into a titanic clusterfuck. If they tried to make the gameplay faster it would totally collapse in on itself. More exploration also sounds like exactly what the doctor ordered, as I loved Deternal's locations but the actual map design was a little barren of real secrets or detours.

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

Watched the Gamespot interview. There was a lot of talk about breaking up the normal level-level routine and having more "open" areas for exploration that you would go back too.  So perhaps some type of linear wide style world?

That sounds like Hexen, though hopefully not quite that confusing lol.