DOOM: THE DARK AGES (DOOM 6)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Michniko said:

The lack of emphasis on vertical movement, plus noticeably bigger crowds of enemies may be an attempt at adapting the playstyle of DOOM & DOOM 2 to the tune of 2016 & Eternal? Fast and grounded, less mechanics centered around strategy and more bulldozing? That's how Hugo was describing this game in the past wasn't it?

From a different article I saw whose source I already forgot, but I'll give you the tl;dr version:

The main dev team behind the new game went back and played the original DOOM games. Where Eternal was a lot more focused on vertical acrobatic gameplay, this time around it seems at least on paper that they're sticking closer to the original source material where there's more focus on lateral movement and dodging projectiles. Also bigger battlefields and I'm guessing larger active monster counts - something neither 2016 nor Eternal game did very well (Mostly combat arenas with a few monsters at a time). I'm sure there's more than a few modern DOOM fans who would love to finally see a good old fashioned slaughermap, BFG mechanics be damned.

Of course for now we're only going based off of one gameplay trailer so we'll see how things develop.

Edited by Traysandor

Posted (edited)

The quotable tagline from a Hugo interview is that Doom 2016 was "run and shoot", Doom Eternal was "jump and shoot" while Doom The Dark Ages is "stand and fight" - verticality is being stripped away in favor of using the shield to exploit enemy weaknesses through blocking/throwing/parrying so you can slam them with a mace or SSG.

Edited by Kinsie

Probably no way they're going to do an invasion mechanic for real this time around? Battlemode was such a huge waste of the work put into playable demons

2 hours ago, Michniko said:

"Is there anything really specific about DOOM 1 and 2, like that you- when you-"

"Projectile speed."

"Instead of constructing a multitiered arena to keep you moving, we ground it, slow down the projectiles, make them hit harder and create patterns in the space, that's the jungle gym you're gonna move through."

"It's almost like a three dimensional shmup."

This honestly gives me a fair bit of hope for Dark Ages.

Don't get me wrong I've no actual dislike of 2016 or Eternal, but I don't like them as much as their 90s siblings.

I actively prefer a good bullet maze over... how to put it... pure speed as the primary avoidance mechanism.

That said, there are plenty of scenarios possible in classic Doom where moving fast and moving forward is your best defense, but I am a fan of a slightly more deliberate kind of movement and combat overall. Fast paced is fine it's just... not as focused on rapid speed and position shifts as much as on controlling the flow of incoming ordnance. 

Really can't put it properly into words but hope I'm conveying the point lol.

25 minutes ago, houston said:

Probably no way they're going to do an invasion mechanic for real this time around? Battlemode was such a huge waste of the work put into playable demons

The Invasion mechanic was one feature of Doom Eternal that I was really looking forward to, and that it never came to pass was the biggest disappointment I had about the game.

Hopefully the lack of disruptive real-world events for the development this latest entry means that they'll be able to properly implement the features they showcase in promotional materials in the run-up to release.

4 hours ago, SkeletSpook said:

I thought it was kinda funny Marty’s mic was picking up so much background noise. Almost like Mick used his audio wizardry from across time and space to fuck with Marty, lol.

Yeah, that was the highlight of the video for me.

Interviewer talks: blah blah blah

Hugo talks: blah blah blah

Marty talks: car noises

On 6/9/2024 at 10:36 PM, Wad overdose said:

Aggadon Hunter? 

ss_b44834a26e4effadbc3d1f39cc6ff1d6950a8

НИХУЯ СЕБЕ!!! ВОТ ЭТО БЛЯДЬ ДА.

Походу будет приквел. Вот бы хорошо и адское вторжение на Земле отыграть в роли какого нибудь рядового солдата, или члена сопротивления.

Here’s some fresh IGN dribble for those who can stomach it and/or are interested. 

all the talk of returning to classic doom formula got me wondering if this mean theyre bringing hitscanners back?

killing hitscanners before they can do damage to you is a big part of classic doom gameplay loop maybe even more so given how common former human enemies all have hitscan attacks

4 hours ago, Michniko said:

"It's almost like a three dimensional shmup."

Funnily enough this is (one of) the ways the original doom was described as before the term first person shooter was invented.

As someone who's into shmups and bullet hells, it's honestly not a bad description of doom compared to other 3d shooters...

26 minutes ago, 𐌺𐌳𐌻𐍂𐌽 said:

НИХУЯ СЕБЕ!!! ВОТ ЭТО БЛЯДЬ ДА.

Походу будет приквел. Вот бы хорошо и адское вторжение на Земле отыграть в роли какого нибудь рядового солдата, или члена сопротивления.

Это да, но это в этернал планировали такое дополнения, но иза сроков решили полностью все поменять. 

Posted (edited)

I appreciate Hugo clarifying that Dark Ages was a Doom game from the beginning and not a Quake title that got rebranded. If Dark Ages does well, I can see them using the metrics to justify going all-in on Quake. The entertainment industry as a whole is becoming more risk-averse and while I like Quake Champions, it obviously failed to achieve to what it was set out to do. I can imagine the powers that be looking at the IP with some trepidation as a result. Dark Ages doing well can help elevate those concerns and maybe even reduce costs if they reuse assets. 

Like others have mentioned though, the comments that Hugo made regarding projectiles and map exploration has me excited. Really seems like their going for a Classic feel this time around which is great to see. I love 2016 and Eternal, and I can understand there being some temptation to just reiterate on that formula some more, but to go back and start from scratch is very commendable. Like even the imp looks like the OG version with its power stance. Love it.

GPqUPZpaQAAgHMz.pngtrooa1-4-i.png

Edited by Agent Strange

23 minutes ago, Agent Strange said:

Like even the imp looks like the OG version with its power stance. Love it.

GPqUPZpaQAAgHMz.png

image.png.6a381157d1bc656a629bced5c2c09100.png

34 minutes ago, Agent Strange said:

I appreciate Hugo clarifying that Dark Ages was a Doom game from the beginning and not a Quake title that got rebranded. If Dark Ages does well, I can see them using the metrics to justify going all-in on Quake. The entertainment industry as a whole is becoming more risk-averse and while I like Quake Champions, it obviously failed to achieve to what it was set out to do. I can imagine the powers that be looking at the IP with some trepidation as a result. Dark Ages doing well can help elevate those concerns and maybe even reduce costs if they reuse assets. 

Like others have mentioned though, the comments that Hugo made regarding projectiles and map exploration has me excited. Really seems like their going for a Classic feel this time around which is great to see. I love 2016 and Eternal, and I can understand there being some temptation to just reiterate on that formula some more, but to go back and start from scratch is very commendable. Like even the imp looks like the OG version with its power stance. Love it.

I also believe in that they changed the theme to dark fantasy for this, it's a shame we didn't see the lovecraftian Quake 5 that jonn carmack talked about in this old interview.
https://www.vg247.com/id-software-carmack-tossing-around-possibillies-for-quake-5

3 hours ago, TMMMS said:

all the talk of returning to classic doom formula got me wondering if this mean theyre bringing hitscanners back?

killing hitscanners before they can do damage to you is a big part of classic doom gameplay loop maybe even more so given how common former human enemies all have hitscan attacks

That new Arachnotron attack definitely looks very hitscanny to me, you could be right.

2 hours ago, Agent Strange said:

Huh I didn't realise that was an imp. I thought it was some kind of weird smaller Arch Vile

Posted (edited)

I wonder how the game will handle players attempting to breeze past everything?

I wonder how idTech 7 will handle large amounts of enemies accumulated over time? Seeing some seemingly dormant demons in the background throughout the trailer, it seems like they'll only become active when the player is nearby? If that's the case, will they persue the player continuously? How much of the bestiary will have faster movement than the player?

I just couldn't imagine say, the XSS handling dozens upon dozens of imps being corralled around these open environments without issues.

Edited by Cantleylads

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cantleylads said:

I just couldn't imagine say, the XSS handling dozens upon dozens of imps being corralled around these open environments without issues.

What would be special about the Series S in this case? It has an imperceptibly identical CPU to the Series X.

Edited by Edward850

1 hour ago, Cantleylads said:

I wonder how idTech 7 will handle large amounts of enemies accumulated over time? Seeing some seemingly dormant demons in the background throughout the trailer, it seems like they'll only become active when the player is nearby? If that's the case, will they persue the player continuously? How much of the bestiary will have faster movement than the player?

There was a line in one of the interviews about how if there's a monster limit like in 2016 or Eternal, they haven't been scolded by the programmers for hitting it yet. That suggests that there's gonna be a few critters active at once, but given the suggestions of melee-range emphasis and weaving through projectiles I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of them hang back and wait their turn like it's an old kung-fu movie for gameplay reasons.

9 hours ago, NoXion said:

The Invasion mechanic was one feature of Doom Eternal that I was really looking forward to, and that it never came to pass was the biggest disappointment I had about the game.

Hopefully the lack of disruptive real-world events for the development this latest entry means that they'll be able to properly implement the features they showcase in promotional materials in the run-up to release.

Small hope it comes back.  It really was a sad day to see it cut in place of horde mode.  Horde mode did have potential but I didn't like the "hand crafted demon placements" they used instead of true randomness.

With all the work put into playable demons, maybe they can refurbish it back into TDA.

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2024 at 4:50 AM, AtimZarr1 said:

- They mentioned "more than double the AI". 2016 had 12-16 and Eternal had 20-24 iirc - if they actually have "more than double", that would be a lot of enemies to have on screen. Would be very cool to see what kind of combat encounters they can have now.

You mean that comment made in the interview at 13 minutes, 5 seconds in? Maybe I'm looking too deeply into it, but considering the reaction of the guy sitting next to him I'm pretty sure he's referencing/mocking an infamous comment made by a developer or marketer once regarding a different game. I can't find any information about it, but I was pretty sure it was made by Todd Howard in regards to Skyrim, one of the 3D Fallouts, or Starfield.

Edited by houston
+deeply

13 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

If he doesn't sound like this at the beginning of the next Doom game then he's not my Grungoguy.

@Grungo

Og.

43 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

What would be special about the Series S in this case? It has an imperceptibly identical CPU to the Series X.

Then I guess nothing? I highlighted the XSS because it's the budget friendly, lowest spec targeted platform.

40 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

There was a line in one of the interviews about how if there's a monster limit like in 2016 or Eternal, they haven't been scolded by the programmers for hitting it yet. That suggests that there's gonna be a few critters active at once, but given the suggestions of melee-range emphasis and weaving through projectiles I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of them hang back and wait their turn like it's an old kung-fu movie for gameplay reasons.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Demons hanging around waiting for their turn is something that already happens in nu-DOOM. I find this is the most apparent in the very last wave of Doom Eternal's Horde Mode. There's a lot of demons doing nothing because the game seems to be pushed to it's limit of how many demon actions are permitted at once.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Cantleylads said:

Demons hanging around waiting for their turn is something that already happens in nu-DOOM. I find this is the most apparent in the very last wave of Doom Eternal's Horde Mode. There's a lot of demons doing nothing because the game seems to be pushed to it's limit of how many demon actions are permitted at once. 

That's a deliberate gameplay mechanic, not a performance thing. Enemies have a shared attack quota on the player to explicitly invoke Conservation of Ninjutsu. The quota changes based on difficulty level.

Edited by Edward850

Posted (edited)

Speaking of Horde Mode, I'd be down for the multiplayer just being that but with 4 players, would be a great way to cash in on the Helldivers 2 hype.

19 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That's a deliberate gameplay mechanic, not a performance thing. Enemies have a shared attack quota on the player to explicitly invoke Conservation of Ninjutsu. The quota changes based on difficulty level.

If every single enemy was attacking you at once, Eternal would probably be near-impossible to beat lol

Edited by Scorcher

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Yeah, I'm under no impression that this is an engine limitation but just a design choice, so that things don't become completely chaotic.

Posted (edited)

The double-barreled turret on mecha dragon is very similar to the one from Rage DLC /some doom 4's matrials.

mark-van-haitsma-turret-front-perspectiv

Reveal_Mecha_Dragon.jpg

Edited by Wad overdose

6 hours ago, Wad overdose said:

The double-barreled turret on mecha dragon is very similar to the one from Rage DLC /some doom 4's matrials.

mark-van-haitsma-turret-front-perspectiv

Reveal_Mecha_Dragon.jpg

Where is Doomguy on the dragon? Is he riding it or inside the turret somehow? It's hard to actually see him in the trailer.