[v1.2.0] DOOMIUM II: A Megawad Worth of Frantic Actions! [BOOM+UMAPINFO]

New updates/hotfix!! (v.1.2.0)

MEDIAFIRE

GDRIVE

• Improve overall text screen visuals including different flat that match the episode's theme
  • Updated both txt file and the post with Music and Mapper credit merge on the txt file, and a map list with author and map number, because @Insaneprophet's gripe (I don't even know what gripe mean, It look negative, so I fix the stuff)

Posted (edited)

In map 18, most switches don't change animation when activated.

Map 21 has a potential softlock. If you press the switch in sector 377 and cross the linedef that raises the wall again, you will no longer be able to lower the wall.

Also, the arachnotron never teleports in during the final fight because it's too wide (might be a gzdoom thing).

For map 24, please make a skip map, so that continuous players don't have to play through The Chasm.

Map 25, the cyberdemon is too thicc to cross the teleporter linedef.

Edited by Firedust

All done. This was a big improvement over the first Doomium. If you're ever planning to do another one, I recommend a thorough quality control - help the mappers improve their work to avoid such an evident variance. The excellent maps in this one are truly excellent and the not so great ones are... not so great. Thanks for making this happen!

^^^ this happens with some source ports

it seems to be something with a very large distance

placing the monster sectors closer to line 7 seems to solve this problem

x.png

On 6/17/2024 at 5:19 AM, Firedust said:

For map 24, please make a skip map, so that continuous players don't have to play through The Chasm.

is it not working for you? it's working for me for both GZDoom and DSDA-Doom, I never goes to the Chasm going continuously

check if your source port actually runs UMAPINFO, or else I have no idea why it doesn't work for you

On 6/17/2024 at 3:05 PM, Firedust said:

If you're ever planning to do another one, I recommend a thorough quality control - help the mappers improve their work to avoid such an evident variance. The excellent maps in this one are truly excellent and the not so great ones are... not so great. Thanks for making this happen!

Thanks for the feedback

Given the situation we been through I really don't have the privilege to do "quality control", first I don't have time, this project took longer than it should be, as I mentioned before the deadline was originally Feb 29th, well look at the time now. I also need to leave the States for a few month by the mid of June, and I don't have access to my computer when I'm out there, meant that if I really want the project to be perfect and do "quality control" I'll need to put it on hold for another 2 or 3 month and cost even more time later. Welp it's my fault to expect every people have the same mind set of me that I make the map as soon as I sign up and I don't make up excuses for delays, and certainly don't just shadow quit, and set the deadline by 2 months or so. I mean believe me, as a men with OCD, I would reject half of the map here if I have that privilege. In anycase, I might actually held Doomium3 some time, soon? I'm not sure, but I'll definitely used the lesson I learned from this project.

alr this conclude my yapping.

The same problem as on map 21 with the monsters that should be caged occurs on map 25.

The interesting thing is that it only happens with the sectors to the east of the map.

with the sectors with monsters to the north, the monsters remain caged as they should.

25.png

6 hours ago, fai1025 said:

is it not working for you? it's working for me for both GZDoom and DSDA-Doom, I never goes to the Chasm going continuously

check if your source port actually runs UMAPINFO, or else I have no idea why it doesn't work for you

In GZDoom, I go to Chasm.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, fai1025 said:

I also go to The Chasm in dsda-doom if I use PGDN to skip, or complete Map35 secret level, it only goes to Map25 if you take the normal non-secret exit on Map23.
It should take you to map25 in all 3 cases.

A tiny, no-monster, but nice looking map with 1 room would make it less awkward to suddenly drop into Chasm, (pun half intended) If making it skip to Map25 after Map35 or using PGDN doesn't work for whatever reason.

Edited by knifeworld
Forgot to specify map23

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, knifeworld said:

I also go to The Chasm in dsda-doom if I use PGDN to skip, or complete Map35 secret level, it only goes to Map25 if you take the normal non-secret exit on Map23.
It should take you to map25 in all 3 cases.

A tiny, no-monster, but nice looking map with 1 room would make it less awkward to suddenly drop into Chasm, (pun half intended) If making it skip to Map25 after Map35 or using PGDN doesn't work for whatever reason.

I'm sorry but what's PGDN, and also I checked the UMAPINFO again it seems that the normal exit does goes to MAP25, but if it goes to the secret level, the secret level will take you back to 24, which now I just realised, I'll try to fix it.

anyway I'm still VERY confused of what's going wrong
so

• Normal exit does goes to 25, yes?
  • GZDoom does work, it goes to 25 for me, so it's UMAPINFO's mistake
  • Secret level takes you to 24 that's confirmed mistake to fix
  • What in the world is PGDN?? if you skip using console command and idclev ofcoure you going to map24

can yous like explain with more clearer wording, remember I'm not a native in English and yous sentence confused me

Edited by fai1025

Posted (edited)

Just finished on HMP, found 2/6 secret levels. There are some real gems here, I really enjoyed the small combat puzzles (MAP01, MAP07) and the large set piece maps (MAP04, MAP09, MAP10) although I'm not quite sure those got the memo about being 'short' or 'straightforward'. Map 09 'Betonique' by @stochastic was the real stand out for me, it really nailed the brutalist aesthetic and the choice of soundtrack was inspired. Honourable mention also goes to Map 04 'The Golden Way' by @Beubeu which wouldn't have been out of place in a megawad like Back to Saturn X. I look forward to seeing both your future releases.

As other's have mentioned this megawad does suffer from inconsistency. There are some maps here which simply aren't up to the standards of the others. While some inconsistency is more or less inevitable in a community project, in this case I think it might have even been worth cutting back the scale of the project to focus on the stronger maps. This also might have allowed the maps to be grouped in a way that flowed better, at present the difficulty seemingly varies at random.

Thank you to everyone for your hard work and congrats on the release!

Edited by mk-1ne

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, mk-1ne said:

at present the difficulty seemingly varies at random. 

That's a given in a community project where slots are reserved. Every mapper has a different idea of difficulty.

21 minutes ago, mk-1ne said:

in this case I think it might have even been worth cutting back the scale of the project to focus on the stronger maps.

This could've only worked if the project lead stated from the very beginning that maps could be rejected for quality reasons. Otherwise it'd be rude to just throw out some people's work at the end of the development.

Edited by Li'l devil

29 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

This could've only worked if the project lead stated from the very beginning that maps could be rejected for quality reasons. Otherwise it'd be rude to just throw out some people's work at the end of the development.

Sure it's a difficult balance to strike. All I'm saying is that while it might be rude to reject someone's work, if I ran a community project for six months and someone handed in a map that looked like it had been slapped together in five minutes I would be frustrated. It would be one thing if this was being advertised as a "come one, come all" community project for beginners but that wasn't the case here.

For what it's worth I actually quite liked your map! It was one of the maps that nailed the brief of short, straightforward and frantic.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mk-1ne said:

For what it's worth I actually quite liked your map! It was one of the maps that nailed the brief of short, straightforward and frantic.

Oh I actually thought mine was one of the weaker ones. It actually was put together in a very short amount of time: about 10 days in total. I'm very aware that the map is poorly detailed, but detailing was just never something I was good at. In hindsight, after watching Vile's stream, I should've also probably put more health in some areas.

Edited by Li'l devil

2 hours ago, fai1025 said:

I'm sorry but what's PGDN, and also I checked the UMAPINFO again it seems that the normal exit does goes to MAP25, but if it goes to the secret level, the secret level will take you back to 24, which now I just realised, I'll try to fix it.

anyway I'm still VERY confused of what's going wrong
so

• Normal exit does goes to 25, yes?
  • GZDoom does work, it goes to 25 for me, so it's UMAPINFO's mistake
  • Secret level takes you to 24 that's confirmed mistake to fix
  • What in the world is PGDN?? if you skip using console command and idclev ofcoure you going to map24

can yous like explain with more clearer wording, remember I'm not a native in English and yous sentence confused me

Sorry, I'll be more clear. PGDN means the Page Down key, next to the numpad. It skips to the next level in dsda-doom and woof etc.

I feel like I have played wads where UMAPINFO even affects what map you go to next when using PageDown key, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Just tested this again in Woof: Map35 leads to Chasm, normal exit in Map23 leads to Map25. So only the secret map going to Chasm needs to be fixed tbh.

Not sure WTF was happening earlier today, but using PageDown when on Map23 definitely took me to The Chasm and not Map35, or Map25 either, but now it takes me to Map35 every time.

23 hours ago, mk-1ne said:

Honourable mention also goes to Map 04 'The Golden Way' by @Beubeu which wouldn't have been out of place in a megawad like Back to Saturn X. I look forward to seeing both your future releases.