Anyone else worried that Bethesda will ruin the new Doom game?

13 minutes ago, houston said:

The comment they made about "streamlining" the gameplay and inputs in the GameSpot interview were a little concerning to me. All of the micromanagement and twisting around of all of your fingers of Eternal felt like the greatest thing new-Id had going for it in my eyes.

I suppose it's fine if they're just referring to things like combining the "Use" and "Melee" key, or like, how they mention, the creation of the Shieldsaw being inspired by the combination of the "Shield" and "Chainsaw" input.

I'll definitely give it a shot either way, but it kind of smells like they might be dumbing down their original vision for the fundamental gameplay mechanics because it doesn't work well enough on gamepads. And they do mention ease of use on gamepads specifically in that interview.

that's not a bad thing though, eternal is clunky as shit in a ton of aspects

43 minutes ago, houston said:

The comment they made about "streamlining" the gameplay and inputs in the GameSpot interview were a little concerning to me. All of the micromanagement and twisting around of all of your fingers of Eternal felt like the greatest thing new-Id had going for it in my eyes.

I suppose it's fine if they're just referring to things like combining the "Use" and "Melee" key, or like, how they mention, the creation of the Shieldsaw being inspired by the combination of the "Shield" and "Chainsaw" input.

I'll definitely give it a shot either way, but it kind of smells like they might be dumbing down their original vision for the fundamental gameplay mechanics because it doesn't work well enough on gamepads. And they do mention ease of use on gamepads specifically in that interview.

On the other hand, I've seen a fair few people complain about how Doom Eternal's focus on resource management detracts from the more simplistic approach that Doom 2016 allowed them to take. I don't mind it myself, but after playing a session of Doom Eternal earlier this evening, I am reminded that it does demand a fair amount of thought is given to one's moment-to-moment actions. I remember my earliest gameplay of Doom Eternal being very taxing mentally.

25 minutes ago, Gifty said:

I'm worried we're gonna get a lot more threads like this.

Yup, anyone triggered by something in a video game needs to get out more.

The first trailer just dropped recently, and people already have doubts? I’m just going to wait for any news coming out for more info about Dark Ages.

1 hour ago, DiavoJinx said:

Oh the cliche "BUGthesda = bad" hater post.

Hahaha from bugisoft to bugthesda loooooooool

If bethesda didnt ruined the last two releases why should them ruin the next?

I already know I'm not gonna be playing whatever multiplayer component they put in this time so no

I mean I assume there'll be some cosmetics and microtransation, but I don't think they will go overboard with it, since the new Dooms had always been singleplayer centric, and selling crazy cosmet for a singleplayer centric game is quite a nobrainer

€8+VAT weapon skin that replaces the skull in the minigun thing with a vault boy head

4 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Nothing they could possibly do would suck harder than Doom 3.

Doom 3 BFG Edition, Mighty Doom, Doom (movie), Doom: Annihilation, The Scorpion King 3.

They aren't actually developing, just publishing (right?).  While they may get their marketing stink all over it, the bugs should be kept at bay.

Posted (edited)

Tbh this is the first time i even hear about a new doom game coming out. ^_^

They kinda lost me with the new games, it all felt a bit too self aware. So if this one doesn't do that winking ego-trip nonsense i might check it out.

Edit: Oh and yeah, an in-game store would be a hard nope.

Edited by Sinnesloeschen

I think the only problem the developers will face at release is that part of the audience will be waiting for Doom Eternal 2, while the new game will be another Doom with different core gameplay and mechanics, albeit based on some of the mechanics of the past games (and I can already see this resistance from different people, heh). And that's fine. It would be weird to see the same game re-released again. id Software is experimenting with the game for a reason, because that's how they did it (Doom 2016, Doom Eternal), they managed to set new trends in the gaming industry, and I'm inclined to believe that they will be able to set a new trend in Dark Ages as well.

On 6/11/2024 at 11:05 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Doom 3 BFG Edition, Mighty Doom, Doom (movie), Doom: Annihilation, The Scorpion King 3.

BFG Edition sucked hard but it came with No Rest For the Living so that makes it better than OG Doom 3.

If this requires a Microsoft Account, let alone a Bethesta.net account to play, I'm out.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, HavoX said:

If this requires a Microsoft Account, let alone a Bethesta.net account to play, I'm out.

Guess what? If you've played Quake Champions, Doom Eternal, Quake Remastered, or Quake II Remastered, you already have one!

You already read that EULA Steam pops up, so there's no need for you to record or verify an email address, pick a username or password and click "sign up"... your product has already registered its CD key for you!

It's just bog-fucking-standard product registration, I really don't understand why people freak out about it. And if YOU do suddenly have to create a username and password which makes it oh-so-scary versus relying on Steam's own authentication to not shut down at some point in the future instead, then I really don't see the big deal outside of the minor inconvenience caused by having to type a little.

Edited by houston

4 hours ago, houston said:

It's just bog-fucking-standard product registration, I really don't understand why people freak out about it.

Well, product registration I can understand, but for a GAME?

4 hours ago, houston said:

Guess what? If you've played Quake Champions, Doom Eternal, Quake Remastered, or Quake II Remastered, you already have one!

You already read that EULA Steam pops up, so there's no need for you to record or verify an email address, pick a username or password and click "sign up"... your product has already registered its CD key for you!

It's just bog-fucking-standard product registration, I really don't understand why people freak out about it. And if YOU do suddenly have to create a username and password which makes it oh-so-scary versus relying on Steam's own authentication to not shut down at some point in the future instead, then I really don't see the big deal outside of the minor inconvenience caused by having to type a little.

This is all well and good, but there are times when account requirements end up screwing over players. Like when Sony forced the people who bought Helldivers 2 to register for a PSN account. Suddenly a whole bunch of people in multiple countries not serviced by PSN could no longer play, at least not without resorting to spoof accounts registered in available countries. Which I believe breaks ToS and presents a risk of said account getting banned.

But yeah, usually it's not a problem. Usually.

5 hours ago, HavoX said:

Well, product registration I can understand, but for a GAME?

It's always been at least optional since like, the 80's. Thanks for buying our game from a computer store, send a letter or email so we can know we're loved and get the investors off our tails or something, and in return you get something lame like a print-out of the game's world map or a little hint sheet.

Starting around the later 90's there were some pop-ups to do this instead, and it started becoming mandatory here and there. Going by the games I've installed on my VM, I know that at least Quake I-III and Fallout offer optional registration. You probably get access to an already publically-available FTP link for a wallpaper pack or something as thanks. 

If you're against any and all DRM/telemetry at all I can respect that, but I haven't heard you complain about Steam so far. If you'd like to start opting out of this kind of stuff, it's always legal to install cracked executables for games you already own. But then you start risking bans and malware and stuff, so I wouldn't personally recommend it.

5 hours ago, NoXion said:

Suddenly a whole bunch of people in multiple countries not serviced by PSN could no longer play, at least not without resorting to spoof accounts registered in available countries. Which I believe breaks ToS and presents a risk of said account getting banned.

Oh yeah, them suddenly changing the deal and causing a bunch of people to lose access to the game they already bought isn't any good. Plus Sony's historically pretty bad with managing private user data (email addresses, in this case?).

But aside from that, you just know a good portion of what people were really complaining about was, "Playstation account? But I don't have a Playstation! This is like they're forcing me to walk around with a Playstation t-shirt!"

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, houston said:

But aside from that, you just know a good portion of what people were really complaining about was, "Playstation account? But I don't have a Playstation! This is like they're forcing me to walk around with a Playstation t-shirt!"

I think another aspect of the situation that stuck in a lot of peoples' craws is the fact that forcing PSN registration wasn't something done for their benefit, but as a wizard wheeze by some corporate suit to bump up the numbers of PSN accounts. People generally don't like being nudged like that for no real benefit on their end. Indeed, as you mention with regards to Sony's poor handling of private user data, being made to hand it over in order to continue playing is more of a detriment than anything.

Edited by NoXion

Posted (edited)

At OP:

I don't think they'll ruin the game really. I compare the new DOOMs to whatever else Bethesda publishes and they're leagues better.

I'm more just personally agonizing over whether or not I should give them my money. 

Edited by Cinnamon