Does anyone know if theres a way to put a texture on a specific area on a wall?

yeasertag

Question

What I mean is, can you put it on  the middle of a wall? Like bellow?

639534125_Screenshot2024-06-11224800.png.00f693b66925e16bc9f2e8ed0c0a89cf.png

660161953_Screenshot2024-06-11224850.png.35ae07fb42c76cc961bb3acc628580e7.pngAnd not change the texture.

5 answers to this question

It 

1 hour ago, yeasertag said:

What I mean is, can you put it on  the middle of a wall? Like bellow?

And not change the texture.

Not changing the texture, that depends on the size of the texture.

Create a sector in back of the linedef where you want the middle texture

kD45Vi6.jpeg

Resize that sector

UEcEaQv.jpeg

pull that sector in to be very shallow

443yau8.jpeg

so that the player cannot go past the front

now apply top, middle and bottom textures to the front

dWLEKfP.jpeg

In maps for DOOM/BOOM you may have to resize the texture for the middle with an external image editor

In maps for GZDoom UDMF you can offset and scale that texture in UDB itself

One method I use in UDMF (No idea if it works in other formats though) is I draw a linedef 1mpu in front of the wall to the width of the texture, then set a middled tex to the front. It's only 1mpu off the wall so even on a very acute angle, it still displays similarly to a wall decal. I use this method for the posters in the first toom of MAP01 of Dissension. Also works for blood splatters... anything you wanna stick to a wall really.

Image2.png.c30a0ef634938f10a77fe654fb7dd8be.pngImage4.png.e3a1286481d312b12cce8487eaca4621.png

With 3D floors yes, but otherwise no. If you don't want to use 3D floors you could try making a specific texture for that part of the wall that's just the textures you want manually sandwiched together in your image editor of choice.

Posted (edited)

If there's only void behind the wall, and you aren't doing any fancy decorative things with other indents you could put an thin small sector indented on a wall and insert your texture there.

EDIT: Kappes Burr gave a demonstration of what I'm talking about. The only possible caveat with his example is that he put the "inserted" texture on the mid-texture. That'll work fine - unless you need to adjust the texture offset of your "inserted" texture, because changing the offset will change it for all parts of the same line. In that case, you leave the mid-texture as "-" and put your texture on the back wall of the indent and you can adjust it freely.

Edited by Stabbey
updated note

My current project uses a mix of both the methods mentioned above.

I have banners displayed on some walls that are simply lines a very small distance in front of the wall and they use midtextures. These have the advantage of transparency (you can see the wall behind them).

I also have "paintings" that are inset sectors. Doing it this way allowed me to have another sector in front of those to make a wooden frame for them.