World War III?

Do you guys think World War III is going to happen anytime soon? Is the media full of fear mongering like always?

Personally I don't think it will. The opposing factions are too OP that a MAD would occur in case scenario. More likely when more BRICS states get nukes. 

Bonus question, would you enlist?

Nope, no risk of WW3 for the time being. That's a risk only in the future, if Russia wins in Ukraine. Then they'll get to the next item on their list and that's where a more involved conflict may happen.

6 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

More likely when more BRICS states get nukes. 

BRICS states are everything except a power bloc. Good luck getting India and China to agree on anything meaningful, lol.

Did you know South Africa did get nukes back in the days? They got rid of them though, just before the end of the Apartheid regime, because they didn't want black people to have a nuke wanted to become members in good standing of the international community. As for Brazil, it doesn't really need them because it's unlikely to be threatened by anyone in its vicinity.

I want to chalk it up to fear mongering but anything could happen these days. I feel like Ukraine's conflict has a legitimate possibility of expanding (maybe not to the extend of nuclear armaments being used but NATO might get more directly involved).

27 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

would you enlist?

I didn't have the liberty to choose, hah (conscript moment)

1 minute ago, Gez said:

BRICS states are everything except a power bloc. Good luck getting India and China to agree on anything meaningful, lol.

Mostly I was thinking about Iran.

1 minute ago, DoomPlayer00 said:

I didn't have the liberty to choose, hah (conscript moment)

Me too. Can't you just leave the reserve?

Like I'd sacrifice my own life and the emotional well-being of my family and friends for the benefit of corrupt bureaucrats. War is a Racket as we know (which is an actual book by the way). Also, of all the factions potentially involved, there isn't a single one about which I have more good things to say than bad things. But seriously, even putting all that aside, kicking off WW3 would be by far the stupidest decision we've ever made as a species, a fact of which many more people are aware than ever before.

mmm everyone's using ukraine as a big proxy war and shipping in as many weapons as they can, it kinda makes me nervous

i hate power. i do have the power of being too old and having fucked up ankles and having listened to too many mark stewart songs though \o/ no military for me

Posted (edited)

If NATO doesn't respond properly to Putin - especially if far-left/right parties backed by him wins in several countries -, Russia is definitely going beyond Ukraine, but this is a 3-5 years timeframe. I wouldn't call this WW3 yet, though.

If China tries anything against Taiwan, which would only happen if Xi does a very dumb move (like Putin did in 2022), then it would be WW3 easy. Too many countries in south Asia are already being threatened by China and China would have the support of Pakistan and NK at least.

Edited by Deadwing

6 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

Me too. Can't you just leave the reserve?

I could but it's not that big of a deal for me. I might get called to refresher training every few years but at least they provide monetary compensation for that.

...not really? You'd have to give the current situation a little more time to cook before that becomes more than a remote possibility. Right now, we're sort of making the right moves, if not at an appreciable speed.

9 minutes ago, DoomPlayer00 said:

I could but it's not that big of a deal for me. I might get called to refresher training every few years but at least they provide monetary compensation for that.

You're not Finnish are you?

15 minutes ago, yakfak said:

mmm everyone's using ukraine as a big proxy war and shipping in as many weapons as they can, it kinda makes me nervous

People who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.

The term "Global War" is so historically wrong and stupid it just grinds my teeth. No, there is not going to be anything as a "Third Global War". First of all, it wouldn't be the third. Second of all, the globe is ALWAYS at way, even in places you don't even know exists. The current clonflicts could grow and mix in between them? Yes, that could possibly happen. Media plays on both sides: Conflict or "peace".

Safe to say conflict in the world has raised a lot, and so far we are seeing several countries radically changing their directions politically, but so far not even the biggest sociopath leader of this World (In this current period, atleast) would dare to "press the button".

24 minutes ago, yakfak said:

If by everyone you mean Russia that illegally invaded it, and then a bunch of countries that are sending extremely delayed aid and not even allowing the Ukrainians to use it properly (and who were sending helmets and mattresses before the war), then I don't think you have cause to be nervous.

Very weird to see countries who dares to go against the illegal actions of the US\NATO being seeing as a "threat" just for protecting their borders against military expansionism. NATO shouldn't even exist after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

The genocide in Gaza could absolutely be a precursor for a major war, but I would argue that "WWIII" is too nebulous of a term to mean anything. By standards of The Great War or World War II, a third world war could technically have already happened or is already happening, but it doesn't really mean much because there's no real definition. With the middle east becoming uninhabitable within the next 3 or 4 decades due to climate change and the holy wars currently going on there, it could be really bad, especially if fascist dictatorships like Israel remain in power and continue to be funded by europe and the united states. That's far more concerning than anything in eastern europe to me, although that is another big deal, it is a tad euro-centric to imply a third world war needs to be involving european powers. 

1 minute ago, Noiser said:

Very weird to see countries who dares to go against the illegal actions of the US\NATO being seeing as a "threat" just for protecting their borders against military expansionism. NATO shouldn't even exist after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

I get your point, there's 2 sides in everything.

10 minutes ago, Noiser said:

The fact that Russia illegally and brutally invaded countries that never had anything to do with NATO (Ukraine, Georgia, Moldova, Chechnya, Syria) is exactly why NATO is relevant nowadays. Or are you trying to suggest that Ukrainians should blame themselves for their own genocide just because they wanted to exist as a free and sovereign nation? The only reason NATO exists is because Russia is a brutal fascist state whose government should be destroyed as soon as possible, before they kill more dozens of thousands of people in their insane imperial pursuits.

Posted (edited)

ok, before this thread gets closed

12 minutes ago, Noiser said:

I guess you're one of those people who think that NATO expansionism caused this war? While that might be part of it, Ukraine hadn't actually joined yet (and hasn't even now) and every time Putin gives his honest thoughts on why, it's kind of clear it was only a matter of time. To say nothing the timing was such because it seemed like it might be a time where America might be distracted....which isn't quite how it worked out, as it happens.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Posted (edited)

I'd chalk any media talk of a specific "WWIII" event up to fear-mongering, which is always going to exist even when the situation is dire enough to not need exaggerating. In the USA alone in the past decade you've had fear of attacks from North Korea, fear over terrorist attacks by ISIS and every other recognizable terrorist organization, fear involving China, Russia, and even paranoia over a civil war. It's very easy to show politically/geographically ignorant people pictures of tanks and blown up buildings in order to make them believe the world is going to be nuked before they get their morning coffee. These situations are all definite problems obviously, and the fear of escalation is understandable, but WWIII is a worst case scenario, which is what sells. If nothing was going on, the media would still find a way to discuss an imminent WWIII.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Posted (edited)

nato was created before vladimir putin was even born

also back in the 2000s putin himself was initially interested in getting russia to join nato

i mean hungary is part of nato and its well on its way to become a brutal fascist state so that aint it either

Edited by TMMMS

Posted (edited)

Alright, let's try to put some troops on Mexico and Canada and see how the US would react against it. Or how about if we take all the sea of the US by force, like what they do on China? Seems fair right?

I'm in no way advocating for Russia, but not seeing what NATO is all about is naive as hell.

4 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I guess you're one of those people who think that NATO expansionism caused this war? 

Yes, NATO exapansionism caused this war.

Edited by Noiser

Clarifying the last topic, as I think it's important:

I just want to reinforce what I said earlier: "I'm not advocating for Russia".

If you want to know my opinion about Putin, he is a fascist and an imperialist - and I don't have any sympathies for him. However that doesn't change what I think about NATO. I don't see good sides on this at all (moreover, I was not clear enough on my post if or when I was talking about China or Russia, which are two different scenarios imo, but I digress).

Anyway, I would like to sincerely apologize to you @Dynamo. Despite the point I tried to make, that doesn't make Russia right for any of it's hideous crimes in war and I'm in no way trying to trivilize the suffering of the people of Ukraine. I understand your reaction about it and I'm really sorry for it.

Very well, as we say around my parts, mettiamoci una pietra sopra.

Hopefully the suffering of all the people tormented by wars around the world comes to an end as soon as possible. It's shameful that the deliberate targeting of civilians in Ukraine, Palestine, Sudan, Myanmar and elsewhere continues unabated in 2024.

Posted (edited)

ay man, look, i don't like nato either. they've been complicit in a lot of horrific shit over the years, but the way i look at it is that russia still manages to be so awful that nato is fairly decent in comparison. it's a similarish scenario as in ww2; the allies were absolutely not good in any way shape or form (just look at what the brits did to the bengals, holy shit), but they still managed to be better than the axis powers purely because they were just that fuckin bad.

now obviously i'm not saying that this is akin to ww2 or anything, but a similar sort of relativity (albeit scaled down quite a bit) is still very present in this conflict. even though nato is pretty goddamn awful in a lot of ways, the other guys are so, so much worse, and nothing that nato has done over the years justifies the shit that they've done.

anyways, we should probably drop it before some dipshit comes in and goes "NUH UH UR WRONG PUTIN IS GOOD AND I LOVE HIM"

Edited by roadworx

Genuinely a nice end, why can't more problems on here end like this?