How can I imitate de 'wah' sound on MIDI guitar??

I've already experimented quite a bit with MIDI music for my own WADs and pretty much everything I know (it's really not that much) I learned it on my own, so I eventually came to this question...

So how can I try to "replicate" that 'wah' effect on the MIDI guitar? (by the way I currently don't have any MIDI devices yet, I do everything with my personal laptop and a wireless office mouse). I would also love to know how to imitate other guitar techniques such as palm mute, pinch harmonics, those 'gojira scraps', and pick slides (you can't tell I'm a metalcore fan, right?). Anyway... thanks in advance for the help!

9 hours ago, IDDQDtheCacodemon said:

So how can I try to "replicate" that 'wah' effect on the MIDI guitar?

The "wah" sound is caused by a change in the EQ filter cutoff frequency (I'm not the best at explaining this stuff, that's why I'm not a teacher in the field. But, I shall try.) To "open up" the "wah" sound, increase the frequency cutoff number, and vice versa. To get this to work on a MIDI guitar, you'll need to affect General MIDI patch 30 or 31 (whichever one your MIDI editor says is the Distortion Guitar) and figure out which MIDI command to send to it which will change the envelope cutoff frequency. Experiment with that until you get it right, and that *should* get you going. Good luck!

19 hours ago, IDDQDtheCacodemon said:

I would also love to know how to imitate other guitar techniques such as palm mute, pinch harmonics, those 'gojira scraps', and pick slides

Palm mute is the easiest one, just reduce the note length, there's a lot of midis that do that (even in Doom).

For pinch harmonics there's a patch for it (31 or 32 depending of the configs of your midi editor).

Pick scrape is easy too, just make a "ladder" of little notes from the highest to the lowest, or use pitch bend, or both lol.

On 6/13/2024 at 7:40 AM, leejacksonaudio said:

The "wah" sound is caused by a change in the EQ filter cutoff frequency (I'm not the best at explaining this stuff, that's why I'm not a teacher in the field. But, I shall try.) To "open up" the "wah" sound, increase the frequency cutoff number, and vice versa. To get this to work on a MIDI guitar, you'll need to affect General MIDI patch 30 or 31 (whichever one your MIDI editor says is the Distortion Guitar) and figure out which MIDI command to send to it which will change the envelope cutoff frequency. Experiment with that until you get it right, and that *should* get you going. Good luck!

I really appreciate that you tried to explain it to me; although I didn't understand much, it was not because of what you explained to me, but because there are concepts that I am completely unaware of. Maybe it's due to the fact that I use Aria Maestosa, and from what I've seen, it's a pretty limited program (compared to others). Any recommendations for creating more complex MIDIs? And sorry for my crappy English XD. Love your music btw!