Green with Envy - The Fifth Map in my slaughter school project

9 minutes ago, NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya said:

Could only kill 859, the rest of the monsters must be having tea.

ive never encountered an issue with spawners? anything happen? what port you playing with?

I think it issue with spawners in the area with yellow key.
The monsters after the second act - dirty dancing in the pool with cyberdemons - were very reluctant to teleport into the room. Maybe the problem is something else, I don't know.
Gzdoom

3 minutes ago, NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya said:

I think it issue with spawners in the area with yellow key.
The monsters after the second act - dirty dancing in the pool with cyberdemons - were very reluctant to teleport into the room. Maybe the problem is something else, I don't know.
Gzdoom

ill have to look into it another night because work tomorrow, perhaps they didnt wake up. Though i think theres only about 25 monsters to spawn in. Could i get some opinions on the level overall, I feel like the only interesting fight is the final one.

It's hard for me to comment as it's not really my genre, I'm a big fan of rummage around, searching, thinking, mixed with measured obstacles in the form of monsters.

I just decided to try slaughter genre, just because it usually does not last long, and I can just have fun and move around without letting go of the mouse click. In those situations I still use ITYTD to keep me less stressed.
Such maps of course can be filled with detail, but they are absolutely unnecessary, as not at all to how the map looks, especially if you use mods with gore. Therefore, your map as a whole is done at a decent level. I can't say which area I liked the most, they are all good for their genre, the only thing that probably confused me was how to get back, since the door to the last room locks behind my back. Well, a mountain eagle is no friend to a bug (Amonbofis), so I didn't see the point in looking for the remains, although it seemed to me that all the rooms were clean behind me, and in general it is difficult to somehow hide in them and remain unnoticed.

58 minutes ago, NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya said:

It's hard for me to comment as it's not really my genre, I'm a big fan of rummage around, searching, thinking, mixed with measured obstacles in the form of monsters.

I just decided to try slaughter genre, just because it usually does not last long, and I can just have fun and move around without letting go of the mouse click. In those situations I still use ITYTD to keep me less stressed.
Such maps of course can be filled with detail, but they are absolutely unnecessary, as not at all to how the map looks, especially if you use mods with gore. Therefore, your map as a whole is done at a decent level. I can't say which area I liked the most, they are all good for their genre, the only thing that probably confused me was how to get back, since the door to the last room locks behind my back. Well, a mountain eagle is no friend to a bug (Amonbofis), so I didn't see the point in looking for the remains, although it seemed to me that all the rooms were clean behind me, and in general it is difficult to somehow hide in them and remain unnoticed.

well im glad, rn im mostly focused on getting functionalities to work and trying to make interesting and fun encounters, as time goes on i want to learn to actually make gorgeous, breathtaking maps, i wish i had more time. I want to make stuff that feels genuinely compelling but for now this is basically just practice.

Pretty good, although I feel good vaguely echoing the complaint of Zahir about the maps being a little too easy - it seemed particularly evident here, other than the circumstances where Cybers can't be avoided.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Pretty good, although I feel good vaguely echoing the complaint of Zahir about the maps being a little too easy - it seemed particularly evident here, other than the circumstances where Cybers can't be avoided.

its funny you say that, when i design encounters i spend a lot of time toning them down because i keep thinking "is that too BS?", but its nice to see encouragement to go crazy with stuff, I want to make fun but difficult encounters but i always find myself forced in a balancing act between the two and lean on fun and power fantasy more.

edit: I'm kind of of two minds about this, do i just finish the wad and just have it in my catalogue as the learning exercise i intended it to be for myself, or do i focus on trying to make it better and release it in a great state. Idunno, i have kinda lost a bit of passion for this project, hasnt turned out as i hoped it would but then again i said "im doing this to learn how to make maps"

Edited by fruity lerlups

*sigh* im kinda dissappointed with this map actually, I think it definitely wont be released in its current state for the final release, i feel like the difficulty curve steadily goes up then just drops for this map. Kinda feel a bit crappy about it.

Actually, this map doesn't seem bad judging by the fights. Looks like a fun and accessible slaughterfest. Visually not great but it makes up for it combat-wise. Feels a bit easy, but I wouldn't mind maps like this followed by some more difficult ones down the line of a set, as long as they don't get too repetitive.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Astro X said:

Actually, this map doesn't seem bad judging by the fights. Looks like a fun and accessible slaughterfest. Visually not great but it makes up for it combat-wise. Feels a bit easy, but I wouldn't mind maps like this followed by some more difficult ones down the line of a set, as long as they don't get too repetitive.

hmm im glad you like the combat, thats what i'm trying to nail, fun combat. This is gonna be a 5 or 6 map project but I plan on making some bigger stuff down the line, definitely more difficult. My biggest inspiration is Rush by Archi

Hmm: also feels nice to get encouragement to turn up the pressure, i'm thinking i'll keep this set as the easy power fantasy it is, but future maps I'm definitely gonna go for stuff thats trickier, and also ofc, prettier, I didn't intend for this to be good looking!

Edited by fruity lerlups

Fun, but fairly easy slaughter. There's way more ammo and health than needed. The red key path is easy to get mass in-fighting going and you can just kick it off and leave, and then come back later for the cleanup. You could lock the player into the fight to make it more challenging. The ending is cool with the rising and lowering platforms, and ups the difficulty a bit by locking the player in and making health a bit more scarce. Here's a uv-max: gwe-ryiron.zip

27 minutes ago, ryiron said:

Fun, but fairly easy slaughter. There's way more ammo and health than needed. The red key path is easy to get mass in-fighting going and you can just kick it off and leave, and then come back later for the cleanup. You could lock the player into the fight to make it more challenging. The ending is cool with the rising and lowering platforms, and ups the difficulty a bit by locking the player in and making health a bit more scarce. Here's a uv-max: gwe-ryiron.zip

thank you, im considering reworking ghis to be harder, i like the final fight but the previous 2 just dont feel up to scrap.

Opening fight is pretty good, I did get cheesed by a collective Revenant super death missile as they have a LOT of agency in the first area to keep following you. The second fight is actually pretty damn hard, it was nice to see the heat get turned up with Arch-Viles that tried to undo your hard work, as well as the Cyberdemons. I didn't know about the invul actually so I ended up doing it the hard way but perhaps that was more rewarding. The third battle is a little easier due to abundance of power ups but those Cybies really got the advantage with higher ground, making ascending stairs quite perilous, I copped a couple of hits even though I was able to undo them. It does promote you to play more reckless/messy which isn't necessarily always a bad thing, as long as the pressure is constant I feel with a lot of monsters attacking from a lot of places you can get away with extra goodies to keep you in the fight. It should only feel bad if you use them all up and you still got a ways to go before you actually finish the area. Liked the Pain Elemental spam right before the final area, they did cause me to become immobilized which gave the Cybie a free hit on me. Honestly there's quite a few things to get hung up and snagged on in some areas to cause movement restriction, be it intentional or by accident, I can sometimes find it annoying, but I'm sure players who have better spatial awareness and movement won't struggle with those aspects as much as I do. It feels like monsters and solid static objects' hitboxes are larger than they're suppose to be at times. The last fight is easier (to me at least) but there's still room for error if you're not careful, all in all this map killed me the most out of all of your releases, so whether or not that's seen as an accomplishment or indicative of my skills, congratulations regardless! I had a good time with this one.

2 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Opening fight is pretty good, I did get cheesed by a collective Revenant super death missile as they have a LOT of agency in the first area to keep following you. The second fight is actually pretty damn hard, it was nice to see the heat get turned up with Arch-Viles that tried to undo your hard work, as well as the Cyberdemons. I didn't know about the invul actually so I ended up doing it the hard way but perhaps that was more rewarding. The third battle is a little easier due to abundance of power ups but those Cybies really got the advantage with higher ground, making ascending stairs quite perilous, I copped a couple of hits even though I was able to undo them. It does promote you to play more reckless/messy which isn't necessarily always a bad thing, as long as the pressure is constant I feel with a lot of monsters attacking from a lot of places you can get away with extra goodies to keep you in the fight. It should only feel bad if you use them all up and you still got a ways to go before you actually finish the area. Liked the Pain Elemental spam right before the final area, they did cause me to become immobilized which gave the Cybie a free hit on me. Honestly there's quite a few things to get hung up and snagged on in some areas to cause movement restriction, be it intentional or by accident, I can sometimes find it annoying, but I'm sure players who have better spatial awareness and movement won't struggle with those aspects as much as I do. It feels like monsters and solid static objects' hitboxes are larger than they're suppose to be at times. The last fight is easier (to me at least) but there's still room for error if you're not careful, all in all this map killed me the most out of all of your releases, so whether or not that's seen as an accomplishment or indicative of my skills, congratulations regardless! I had a good time with this one.

if i killed you once or twice before you figure out the fight then i think i accomplished what i wanted, also with the pain elementals that was intentional. The cyberdemon mountain fight i feel is the most underwhelming of these and im considering reworking it when i have time off from work. I think the first opening fight and that one need the most rework, ive also identified some progression breaking stuff in it. Id say this map feels a bit undercooked but I think i can work it into something more engaging.