Shader activated by an ACS scripted event?

Cacodoomonic

Question

How would I go about pulling this off? Initially I had a custom shader through the entire game but I decided it was far more effective if it kicks in only when the player becomes victim of an attack by monsters. How can I make a custom shader only activate via an ACS script trigger by a walkover linedef?

4 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

You can't. ACS was never extended to shader operations. You'll have to use ZScript instead.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Shaders

I used ACS to change a CVAR so that a shader was active when I wanted. Of course I also have a ZScript player to actually make it work.

2 minutes ago, A.Gamma said:

I used ACS to change a CVAR so that a shader was active when I wanted. Of course I also have a ZScript player to actually make it work.

Yeah, you can do that kind of things, using ACS to do something that will then cause ZScript to enable the shader, but there's no pure ACS way of tinkering with shaders; you need ZScript somewhere.

So it is doable if I use ZSCRIPT as well. Okay, well obviously I have the shaders in ZSCRIPT anyway, since Shaders automatically are... How can I make it activate via the ACS though since it seems to begin active by default? My player class is not ZSCRIPT though, it is DECORATE.