Road To Hades [32 map megawad for TNT]

Well, this just dropped out of nowhere. I suggest you put [32 map megawad for TNT] in the thread title to attract more attention.

I tried to play several different maps and they all managed to surprise me, strain me and arouse my interest. I think I'll try to fully complete this megawad... I'm curious to know if all the maps in it are so unique or if I just stumbled upon such of them ;))

Posted (edited)

I'm on MAP08 atm and find it very interesting and cool, some creative combat scenarios and the aesthetics are pretty true to the original TNT. Goes pretty hard from the beginning. In terms of issues:

- In MAP03 I picked up the supercharge secret behind the boxes without triggering the double imp ambush, and on my way back to the conveyor belt I fell through the floor alongside the imps and got softlocked, had to noclip through;
- The lost souls have blue flames in their idle animation but they turn back to the default red/orange when charging. Not sure if this is an oversight or if it's intentional;

Having fun, will absolutely play more of it.

Edit: Found a very prominent slime trail in MAP11 at the beginning. Screen below. Running DSDA 0.27.5 with software rendering.

map11slime.png

Edited by DreadWanderer

I'm playing with GZDoom. Now I'm on MAP03 and I have a question:

1125213582_MAP03.jpg.c8c8e22aae4c784e1ebbdee69d33e69a.jpg

This lion button on the field with crates after the teleport locked with yellow and blue keys opens the door and this is the only way to open it, as I understand it. The door doesn't stay open for long after pressing and soon closes but I can't press the button again. As a result, it is no longer possible to open the door again nor continue the level.

MAP03, одноразовая дверь.jpg

1 hour ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

I'm playing with GZDoom. Now I'm on MAP03 and I have a question:

1125213582_MAP03.jpg.c8c8e22aae4c784e1ebbdee69d33e69a.jpg

This lion button on the field with crates after the teleport locked with yellow and blue keys opens the door and this is the only way to open it, as I understand it. The door doesn't stay open for long after pressing and soon closes but I can't press the button again. As a result, it is no longer possible to open the door again nor continue the level.

MAP03, одноразовая дверь.jpg

That's so weird... I just checked and the button definitely is "S1 Door Open Stay", and that is the only action affecting that door.

But I just tested it in GZDoom and the door does close? The door does stay open in DSDA-doom though.

Maybe it's to do with the compatibility mode.

5 hours ago, DreadWanderer said:

I'm on MAP08 atm and find it very interesting and cool, some creative combat scenarios and the aesthetics are pretty true to the original TNT. Goes pretty hard from the beginning. In terms of issues:

- In MAP03 I picked up the supercharge secret behind the boxes without triggering the double imp ambush, and on my way back to the conveyor belt I fell through the floor alongside the imps and got softlocked, had to noclip through;
- The lost souls have blue flames in their idle animation but they turn back to the default red/orange when charging. Not sure if this is an oversight or if it's intentional;

Having fun, will absolutely play more of it.

Edit: Found a very prominent slime trail in MAP11 at the beginning. Screen below. Running DSDA 0.27.5 with software rendering.

map11slime.png

Can you tell me the direction you went to get softlocked in map 3? I can't see how that happened unless it was a linedef skip.

The thing with the lost souls is deliberate, meant to replicate how the lost soul flames work in Doom 2016 and Eternal :)

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Rose Holmes said:

Can you tell me the direction you went to get softlocked in map 3? I can't see how that happened unless it was a linedef skip.

The thing with the lost souls is deliberate, meant to replicate how the lost soul flames work in Doom 2016 and Eternal :)

Thanks for the reply. Went something like this: shoot the switch to unlock the path, head left to grab the supercharge, turn around, and when I reached the spot where the imps were supposed to show up I fell through the floor. It's quite possible I skipped a linedef because in my second run I didn't swerve left as tightly as I did the first time when I went for the supercharge and the imps appeared.

Edited by DreadWanderer

@Rose Holmes, I checked the door again. After some time, it will close but if a player, a monster or a bullet passes through it, it will remain open. It's funny ;)) In general, the problem turned out to be not as serious as it seemed the first time, besides, it can be avoided if you first kill the arachnotrons that got out of the boxes, and only then open the door - there is enough time to spare.

I keep playing through, megawad still seems interesting and moderately non-standard!

25 minutes ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

@Rose Holmes, I checked the door again. After some time, it will close but if a player, a monster or a bullet passes through it, it will remain open. It's funny ;)) In general, the problem turned out to be not as serious as it seemed the first time, besides, it can be avoided if you first kill the arachnotrons that got out of the boxes, and only then open the door - there is enough time to spare.

I keep playing through, megawad still seems interesting and moderately non-standard!

I figured out the problem, monsters could close the door from the other side. It should be fixed now.

Thanks for pointing that out, i really appreciate it

1 hour ago, DreadWanderer said:

Thanks for the reply. Went something like this: shoot the switch to unlock the path, head left to grab the supercharge, turn around, and when I reached the spot where the imps were supposed to show up I fell through the floor. It's quite possible I skipped a linedef because in my second run I didn't swerve left as tightly as I did the first time when I went for the supercharge and the imps appeared.

I made the hole smaller so that the imps should stop you from falling down if you skip the linedef.

Thanks for the help :)

Posted (edited)

@Rose Holmes, about the last secret on MAP06. I realized that

Spoiler

a shot at a distant button from a lattice balcony would stop large presses in a room with a blue key - but...

but the secret itself doesn't count in GZDoom. The voodoo doll drives through the sector but the counter does not change.

Edited by RaRu Des2122

12 minutes ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

@Rose Holmes, about the last secret on MAP06. I realized that

Hide contents

a shot at a distant button from a lattice balcony would stop large presses in a room with a blue key - but...

but the secret itself doesn't count in GZDoom. The voodoo doll drives through the sector but the counter does not change.

The secret sector has it's special transferred to the sector at the edge of the balcony when the button is shot.

This works on DSDA but not GZDoom for some reason :(

I might just add in a separate area containing the secret sector across from the balcony, that opens when the button is shot.

Thanks for the help again

MAP07, the final building locked by blue key:

1) This alcove, which archvile was located in, contains nobody and nothing at all difficulties and at the same time is a secret. I suggest either putting something in there (for example, a single armor bonus ;)), or remove the secret mark from it.

1528484750_MAP07.jpg.7336d861b3b32321cee85cc7d2395aef.jpg

2) This health box and the shotgun shells box look pressed into the computer terminal no matter how you look at them. However, this may be because of the port through which I play...

398233816_MAP07.jpg.65ee179b9fa229dfa5712b1552b07d53.jpg

So far, I have completed 11 maps and everything is perfect by this moment. I'm still playing the old version because I prefer to play megawads (especially from one author) continuously rather than through the pistol-start of each level. But I also downloaded the updated version and was pleasantly surprised that everything I pointed was corrected)) The only thing is, I liked the old music on MAP08 and MAP10 more - but this is a matter of taste of each person.

I'm happy to keep playing!

Posted (edited)

@Rose Holmes, I give up and ask for help ;))  I can't figure out how to get to the teleporter leading to the balcony with BFG9000 and cells.

But first of all, I will say that this map is one of the most impressive city maps that I have ever played. The streets and rooms are very reliably furnished and although there are not too many monsters in general (apparently, most of them also sleep at night) but every battle with them can cause trouble for the player - their competent use is obvious. The map almost forces itself to be carefully studied because there is not much equipment on it and we will need it in full to fight monsters. In addition, as I realized, not all the sections of the map that I have passed can be returned in - for example, after I found myself on the street with a yellow door, I couldn't go back. The same thing happened after entering the building with the blue key: I couldn't get out of it back and I couldn't return to the first floor of building where it requires use.

And now to the question from the first sentence. 

Spoiler

Immediately after I left the starting house and went down the stairs, a narrow alley was discovered to the left of it, which you can enter and thanks to it be behind the map: 

1886244811_MAP13.jpg.b46d8fb7049cda74f645187b9728e433.jpg

Once behind the map, you can walk absolutely behind and between everyone house and moreover, you can even get to the exit zone and finish the level, practically without starting it! To be honest, I'm not sure that this was intended, but I did it! But one place remained inaccessible to me: a wasteland with the corpse of a cacodemon, a truck and a teleporter to the balcony with imps and BFG9000. All the paths that visually lead to it are blocked by invisible walls.

1353273941_MAP13.jpg.5cf96c12c132a3f58c2fd85c58171fa6.jpg

This one...

1358049570_MAP13-2.jpg.5b7ecffce544cde0b2dbb651c84d3093.jpg

And this one...

I'm probably doing something wrong and I don't see an easier way. Can you point it out to me?

Edited by RaRu Des2122

P.S.

Phew, the problem is solved. This way came to my mind but I chose the wrong car in the parking lot in front of the shop and decided not to check the rest of them - but in vain)) It seems to me that this place is quite worthy of being designated as a secret.

52 minutes ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

@Rose Holmes, I give up and ask for help ;))  I can't figure out how to get to the teleporter leading to the balcony with BFG9000 and cells.

But first of all, I will say that this map is one of the most impressive city maps that I have ever played. The streets and rooms are very reliably furnished and although there are not too many monsters in general (apparently, most of them also sleep at night) but every battle with them can cause trouble for the player - their competent use is obvious. The map almost forces itself to be carefully studied because there is not much equipment on it and we will need it in full to fight monsters. In addition, as I realized, not all the sections of the map that I have passed can be returned in - for example, after I found myself on the street with a yellow door, I couldn't go back. The same thing happened after entering the building with the blue key: I couldn't get out of it back and I couldn't return to the first floor of building where it requires use.

And now to the question from the first sentence. 

Reveal hidden contents

Immediately after I left the starting house and went down the stairs, a narrow alley was discovered to the left of it, which you can enter and thanks to it be behind the map: 

1886244811_MAP13.jpg.b46d8fb7049cda74f645187b9728e433.jpg

Once behind the map, you can walk absolutely behind and between everyone house and moreover, you can even get to the exit zone and finish the level, practically without starting it! To be honest, I'm not sure that this was intended, but I did it! But one place remained inaccessible to me: a wasteland with the corpse of a cacodemon, a truck and a teleporter to the balcony with imps and BFG9000. All the paths that visually lead to it are blocked by invisible walls.

1353273941_MAP13.jpg.5cf96c12c132a3f58c2fd85c58171fa6.jpg

This one...

1358049570_MAP13-2.jpg.5b7ecffce544cde0b2dbb651c84d3093.jpg

And this one...

I'm probably doing something wrong and I don't see an easier way. Can you point it out to me?

Being able to go behind the building at the start is unintentional, not sure how I missed that

I deliberately didn't mark the BFG as a secret since I thought it was too hard to find to even be an official secret.

I've moved the other cars further away from the wall to make it clearer that you have to choose that one.

I have also added a way to get back from the yellow key area:

727419985_Screenshot2024-06-19191418.png.802bebeaa6764298277c9b978c42a03f.png

I'm glad you think this map is impressive, I almost went insane making it :p

On MAP13 it's possible to lock yourself out of getting 100% kills in the shop battle. Once the bars show up to block the door, the monsters start teleporting in, but once you press the switch at the south end, the bars will be gone, but this also impacts the teleporter closets and prevents any remaining enemies from teleporting in.

Posted (edited)

MAP32, the bar counter:

503230895_MAP32.jpg.3f0e9d6656a6ba8f6538cf50e519631b.jpg

I can't take these six health bonuses because of the impassable chairs are on my way. Although there are eight of them initially but you can still get close to take two standing on the edges ;)) Maybe they should be moved closer to the opposite side of the table and can be taken from it? 

Theoretically, a player can be thrown onto this table by archvile, but giving them the opportunity to live at least one extra second is the last thing I would like to do on this map!

Edited by RaRu Des2122

2 hours ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

MAP32, the bar counter:

503230895_MAP32.jpg.3f0e9d6656a6ba8f6538cf50e519631b.jpg

I can't take these six health bonuses because of the impassable chairs are on my way. Although there are eight of them initially but you can still get close to the two standing on the edges ;)) Maybe they should be moved closer to the opposite side of the table and can be taken from it? 

Theoretically, a player can be thrown onto this table by archvile, but giving them the opportunity to live at least one extra second is the last thing I would like to do on this map!

Glad to see others who also want 100% items, I had the same problem in this map but gave up eventually :(

After completing MAP18, I can only say one word. And this word is "Wow"! An eerie beginning (I was especially impressed by archvile running past me and disappeared to nowhere after that), taxiing into a familiar rut in the middle, a hot, uncomplicated final battle (nothing more than two shots from the BFG were required from me - and this is not a call to complicate it!) and a completely shocking surprise at the end! Was it all a long hallucination or an infernal trap that had finally worked?

It's kind of a pity that there are only 12 maps left to play... But, who knows, maybe one of them will spoil my impression? :D

10 minutes ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

After completing MAP18, I can only say one word. And this word is "Wow"! An eerie beginning (I was especially impressed by archvile running past me and disappeared to nowhere after that), taxiing into a familiar rut in the middle, a hot, uncomplicated final battle (nothing more than two shots from the BFG were required from me - and this is not a call to complicate it!) and a completely shocking surprise at the end! Was it all a long hallucination or an infernal trap that had finally worked?

It's kind of a pity that there are only 12 maps left to play... But, who knows, maybe one of them will spoil my impression? :D

The maps that I'm worried about people's impression of the most are 21 and 24.

Those 2 are quite... experimental

Posted (edited)

I have completed MAP22. And it seems I understood the secret of my unfading interest in the Road to Hades :)) 

I think the fact is that each map is based on certain of idea, is made in a certain style and at the same time both of them distinguish it from the neighboring one or even from several neighboring. For example, MAP19 forces player to actively use a fist and a chainsaw (by the way, I first realized only on it that the chainsaw works much faster than usual!) and also contains a direct reference to TNT - MAP20 begins as a leisurely battle at the top of the tower of minimums of ammo and enemies, smoothly flowing into much more meaty confrontations. Or MAP21 is such a heavy damaged map as a result of our actions that it functions in a very, very strange way (I highly recommend trying it!) - the action of MAP22 takes place in a dark, dense and sometimes heavily swampy forest, which periodically releases us into the sewers or into a small town.

In general, the situation and ideas change regularly and that's why it doesn't get boring to play. Anyway, there are only 8 maps left - and that moment still hasn't come!

Edited by RaRu Des2122

Megawad is nearing its end and I have already become physically tired of so many peculiar maps in a fairly short period of time)) But not of their quality!

MAP23 - I'm not a big fan of slaughters. And although only the battles for the red and blue keys seemed really difficult to me, I still don't get much pleasure from such maps. But I'm aware that it is difficult to do without slaughters in the later stages of the game ;))

MAP24 - oh, I think I found a map that fits the names of the levels R2M2 and R2M3 from Dissolution of Eternity as well as possible)) We don't have enough room for maneuvers due to the ever-arriving lost souls from the very beginning but as soon as we manage to clear at least one of the caves of the pain elementals, the task is quite simplified. In general, the map drags on gradually. By the way, a bunch of blue/orange lost souls look visually beautiful! It's a pity that they are meeting extremely rare without elementals...

MAP25 - the swamp is back and it returns with a much more noticeable effect than on MAP22! It bothered me very much at first, then I accidentally hit the button that moves the barrier... 

It seems that in order to fully experience the ideas embedded in MAP24 and MAP25, they must be passed from the pistol-start. Alas, this is not my option))

MAP26 - an excellent example of the implementation of the turning of the familiar world upside down! Turning itself is shown very carefully and manifests itself in many details.

Spoiler

Did I understand correctly that if a secret with the sphere of souls is found in the normally standing version of the ship, then in its inverted version it will be possible to neutralize a squad of sergeants even before they teleport to the battlefield?

There are only four maps left...

Posted (edited)

MAP28, blue key area:

In search of the best way to deal with a crowd of archviles in the 30 seconds that invulnerability works, I wandered around the room (after several failed attempts I realized that the best way was to stand in the doorway for the last time so that archviles would also fall under cyberdemons' rockets!) and trying to kill them from different positions. They also didn't remain in debt and I flew around the room for a very long time and practically did not land ;)) At one of these moments, they threw me out of the window through which we would then kill the chaingunners who appeared after taking the key.

1309085386_MAP28.jpg.a87a1c83ad705cccbe07506347c38f34.jpg

Through this. And if you fall down, you can't get out in any way at all.

1864706862_MAP28-2.jpg.4859b7d21a0b9632c5534551d15dc93f.jpg

And I think the window opposite has the same property. I suggest making them completely impassable for the player, so that this couldn't happen even by accident.

Edited by RaRu Des2122

Posted (edited)

The included DEHACKED had a few glitches (level 21 title not defined properly, some typos). Here's a cleaned-up version.

DEHACKED.zip

Edited by NightFright