The TF2 Community needs YOU!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

Making the game open source would just escalate the botting problem 30 times worse than before, as now bot hosters know exactly how to make the most efficient and anti-cheat-proof bots.

And handing the game to the community isn't exactly the most ideal, because we all know what happened with those Valve-endorsed community updates in the past. And Valve is damn sure they won't let any foreign hands touch their game after those.

The source code on the game code side is already out there, shall we say, and there are already mods based on it that twist and pull it in strange and disturbing directions that best be described as Quippy Cartoon Quake Champions. At least the art assets are good.

2 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

To be honest, this Fix TF2 movement is going nowhere. How about SaveDayofDefeat instead? I mean c'mon, that game hasn't updated in like 35 years :(

The youths don't even know what a Day of Defeat even is. They think it's like a Napster. They will never capture the central point in dod_flash.

Edited by Kinsie

1) host a dedicated tf2 server your god damned self

2) ban botting players

there, i fixed it

I dont know why (almost) everyone here is being a asshole, but seriously, If you want to be that much of an asshole to a good idea go to reddit, if your so much against fixing tf2 why not just NOT post on this thread, I have signed the petition and im making an youtube video to spread awareness of this massive problem. #FixTf2

14 minutes ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

I dont know why (almost) everyone here is being a asshole, but seriously, If you want to be that much of an asshole to a good idea go to reddit, if your so much against fixing tf2 why not just NOT post on this thread, I have signed the petition and im making an youtube video to spread awareness of this massive problem. #FixTf2

Outside of like one or two people, we're not being assholes. We're suggesting what has worked for us, a long-lived community of a game that ceased active official development for decades at a time. Specifically, using the tools and means available to us to take charge and forging a future of our own.

bot bad, player good! go destroy bots and destroy bad place!

27 minutes ago, Grungo said:

Not the time or place for the gimmick shit, dude.

11 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Not the time or place for the gimmick shit, dude.

other people joke here, but grungo can't? sound stupid

39 minutes ago, Grungo said:

Have your government agencies track the bot's IP address to raid their place

1 minute ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Have your government agencies track the bot's IP address to raid their place

Grungo commencing ptersaurous airstrike on bot hoster's mother's basement!

image.png.139187422319d2a6246da5270ab1bf95.png

Posted (edited)

So why don't you use the regular army?
What do you need us for?

Edited by Austrian Oak

6 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

To be honest, this Fix TF2 movement is going nowhere. How about SaveDayofDefeat instead? I mean c'mon, that game hasn't updated in like 35 years :(

I get that this is probably a joke but the bid difference is that Valve runs official servers and has in-game purchases, making much higher profits than DoD ever did.

Anyway, I've loved this game for years and hate to see it in such a sorry state. I also hate to see people shut down things like this because it didn't work once or twice. You never get it right on the first try. What do I know, though, I've only got youth and exuberance .

Not related, but recently I found a video talking about the intentions of TF2's bot hosters and the video had Knee-Deep in the Dead GZDoom gameplay the whole time with the guy's webcam recording in the corner

which is probably what brought WigglyStuf here.

Quite frankly, most of Doomworld aren't as determined (or as insane) as TF2's community is lol. You don't see many DOOM players in modern Zandronum multiplayer entering kill in the in-game console after saying thanks.

18 minutes ago, watermelon eater gaming said:

Not related, but recently I found a video talking about the intentions of TF2's bot hosters and the video had Knee-Deep in the Dead GZDoom gameplay the whole time with the guy's webcam recording in the corner

Oh, hey, I know that dude, chill person to play with, and talk with. Recommend you check out his other content.

2 hours ago, Kinsie said:

We're suggesting what has worked for us, a long-lived community of a game that ceased active official development for decades at a time. 

Assuming you're talking about the doom community, it's a whole different story compared to Team Fortress.

23 hours ago, Kinsie said:

I think you’ll have far more luck building your own independent future through moderated dedicated servers and sourcemods 

A lot more people play casual, it's the game mode newbies get introduced to when they first play the game (after finishing the tutorial.)

Mods are a mixed bag as "the future of a game." Sourcemods such as TF2C and Open Fortress have extremely niche communities and not very many servers.

Just because mod support worked for one game doesn't mean it'll work for another, Valve makes it so people can't even run the most minor of mods on official servers, Valve has shut down sourcemods like TF2C, the only reason it is back up is because of a loophole.

14 hours ago, 8088mph said:

Just because mod support worked for one game doesn't mean it'll work for another, Valve makes it so people can't even run the most minor of mods on official servers, Valve has shut down sourcemods like TF2C, the only reason it is back up is because of a loophole.

CS1.6, CSS and CSGO are right now all alive and well on community servers and you don't see them spamming everywhere for valve to help them.

1 hour ago, fishy said:

CS1.6, CSS and CSGO are right now all alive and well on community servers and you don't see them spamming everywhere for valve to help them.

CS1.6 and CSS don't count, all they have are community servers. The only way you can play a CSGO server nowadays is through a community server after it got replaced by CS2.

Even then, CS2 is pretty busted.

As much as I hate to say this but I highly doubt FixTF2 will accomplish much due to multiple factors:

• TF2 is old. Valve doesn't have the interest to start meddling with it anymore in larger scale as they'd much rather focus on more important things such as Steam, Counter Strike and such. Valve has supposedly released "security improvements" over the past couple years in a slight attempt to combat the bots/cheaters but the improvements have been cracked usually within hours.
  • Valve does things very slowly which is very bad for a multiplayer game's health. Valve's negligence already cost TF2 its TV show back in 2014, the comic storyline was never finished & entire parts of the game (competitive mode, replays, coaching and more) remain either broken or half-baked and very likely will never be fixed.
  • Small security improvements won't fix the issues TF2 is having. At this point VAC would need to be totally reworked and any anti-cheating software would need to be made kernel-level (which would open its own can of worms) and as stated by my first point, Valve is not willing to put that much work into TF2 at this point.

Way I see it, TF2's future lies in its community's willingness to keep the game alive more so than Valve's. Most older players (myself included) have already shifted purely to community servers but even then they cannot really provide the "true" TF2 experience. No one's willing to host actual vanilla servers (Except for Casual.TF couple years back but that was a short-lived spectacle) which is exactly what we need. Not this fucking "insta-respawn, 100 players, rtd, randomizer & comp settings" bullshit.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:38 PM, WigglyStuf said:

Hey, this probably isn't going to work, and it won't go anywhere, but if you can, help us sign a petition to Valve to FIX TF2!

No thanks. I didn't even stop playing TF2 because of the bots, but because the fans are horrendously annoying.

37 minutes ago, JackDBS said:

No thanks. I didn't even stop playing TF2 because of the bots, but because the fans are horrendously annoying.

literally see my comment

On 6/19/2024 at 2:37 PM, Biodegradable said:

TF2 was a watershed moment that captured lightning in a bottle and made a huge cultural impact on gaming, independent animation and internet culture. It was one-of-a-kind, but it was never going to last forever.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Got to agree with this. It's why I mostly avoid multiplayer games because the bottom line is they all have a potential "use by date". Sooner or later, something usually breaks and it's unreasonable to expect companies to keep pumping money into old online games and their infrastructure ad infinitum.

3 hours ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

i have a feeling this guy is an omegatronic host 

Either a bot hoster, idiot or just a baiter