The wicked on every side : REMAKE

Posted (edited)

image.png.4ee7dfa5fe3932f470f6ed092fd8dca3.png

4 years ago, I submitted a custom wad 'the wicked on every side'. however it was too difficult to play for others players. so I made up my mind remake the whole thing.

download the other people's map and check'em all. especially SCYTHE was really helpful to me. map design, texture, and techniques and more. also I added a new secret map into wad. this ones has contain my custom texture.

so, download, enjoy it! and try to compare with the old maps!

I hope you like it!

chapter names

Spoiler

map 01 - the way of the wicked

map 02 - filled with malice

map 03 - life to the ground

map 04 - falls into the pit

map 05 - trouble and evil

map 06 - burning sulfur

map 07 - they fell beneath my feet

map 08 - my heart will not fear

map 09 - endless ruins (secret map)

map 10 - violence and strife (secret map)

read this

• You need to doom 2.wad for play.
  • I test this with gzdoom.
  • Ending music, 'The Legendary hero' is ogg file. If you want listen to track, you need a gzdoom port.
  • I drew title pic and credit pic.

WESremake.zip

Edited by michealrockshim

Posted (edited)

I'm on MAP04 so far, so I'll have to write summary when I am done. But I think you should definitely post some screenshots, this is one hell of a good wad you've made. I'm getting some strong Thy Flesh Consumed vibes from this. Everything from level architecture to combat encounters are very well crafted.

One question though; are all door textures meant to be pegged? Almost feels like it's done intentionally.

Edited by Zesiir

9 minutes ago, Zesiir said:

I'm on MAP04 so far, so I'll have to write summary when I am done. But I think you should definitely post some screenshots, this is one hell of a good wad you've made. I'm getting some strong Thy Flesh Consumed vibes from this. Everything from level architecture to combat encounters are very well crafted.

One question though; are all door textures meant to be pegged? Almost feels like it's done intentionally.

umm... I don't know what pegged mean. forgive my lacks of english...

A pegged door texture means that the wall texture that's underneath the door moves with it when it opens. Commonly you can check the

"Lower Unpegged" checkbox in Ultimate Doom Builder so that the texture will not move with the door. I just wondered if it was intentional or not.

Like this one:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20240618_150318.jpg.2bfd5fb5a92fe59e2d650e994807e1ea.jpg

Looks like I'm stuck in MAP05. I've hit the switch that revealed the 3 Cyberdemons and killed them, but I haven't found the red key.

Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

I only completed the first 6 maps. I can only say that these are really big and monstrous in the embodiment of the maps, they will eat up as much time as possible. Sometimes the level goes on and on and you are already tired of it, but it still does not end. Why, for such a scale and grandeur in its imagination of the level, fights, and in general, caused me such fatigue from them? I will tell you why. You really need to pay tribute to such a work done, passing even such a small number of maps can take you more than one evening. So why did it impress me so much and still make me stop playing it. There are many reasons, but all of them are insignificant, the only thing that greatly affected was the monotony of the level design. There are two types of monotony: 1) level design - either the maps are angular in everything, as if I were playing Minecraft again, cubism in all its glory, or the maps are as if created by water itself and there are not even hints of any square object; 2) very low variety of textures. It feels like any map, grand in its scale, which can take 15-20 minutes to complete, is made in some unique design but using only one wall texture. The eye gets tired and blurry.

Otherwise, it plays great, you can see a lot of effort was put in, the combat does not get boring and is done at a fairly good level. The gameplay as a whole does not break your brain, and the puzzles, if I may say so, are done well enough that they do not break the flow of the game.

Edited by NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya

2 hours ago, Zesiir said:

A pegged door texture means that the wall texture that's underneath the door moves with it when it opens. Commonly you can check the

"Lower Unpegged" checkbox in Ultimate Doom Builder so that the texture will not move with the door. I just wondered if it was intentional or not.

Like this one:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20240618_150318.jpg.2bfd5fb5a92fe59e2d650e994807e1ea.jpg

oh, I didn't know about that. because I use only gzdoom builder for whole time. so It's not intentional.

2 hours ago, Zesiir said:

Looks like I'm stuck in MAP05. I've hit the switch that revealed the 3 Cyberdemons and killed them, but I haven't found the red key.

Any ideas?

redkeylocation.png.157baab5e6303dbc5cc9758c20ea2995.png

Posted (edited)

It's not there for me. Is it flagged for all difficulties? I'm on UV.

Screenshot_Doom_20240618_184613.jpg.9f57707815d3101d1da10228b3872b04.jpg

Edited by Zesiir

7 minutes ago, Zesiir said:

It's not there for me. Is it flagged for all difficulties? I'm on UV.

Screenshot_Doom_20240618_184613.jpg.9f57707815d3101d1da10228b3872b04.jpg

jesus crist I didn't check hard difficulty box. I replace it right now.

That's super cool dude! A really great job has been done. I liked the gameplay, especially the traps and teleporting monsters, while the elevator with the key descends and all that, it doesn’t let you get bored. The combat is really satisfying and very well balanced. Except that a third of the monsters are mostly locked in cells that you can simply ignore and not waste ammo on.

I agree with Mina's (@NenapoMinayuChtchiyasya) comments. Yeah, there is a lot of monotony, it’s like you’re watching a super cool lecture, but the lecturer says it in such a monotonous ASMR voice that you simply can’t help but fall asleep. Either way, I don't think it's that big of a problem. Most likely, it seems to me, although it does not seem to me, but in fact, when creating maps, two fundamental rules were not taken into account - “excessive symmetry” and “repetition of textures”. That's probably why I dropped the game too.

Anyway, my respect.

P.S.: I'm probably already playing the fifth such grandiose WAD made by one person, and I'm becoming more and more convinced that I shouldn't do this. Since the author’s handwriting is preserved throughout the entire WAD, and you simply get tired of it.

I made it until the last map, where I gave up. Slaughter maps are not my thing.

But I think it's still a decent wad overall, it's clear a lot of work has gone into it. The limited use of textures does not bother me that much, I get

the idea that each map has a theme. I had the most fun with the early maps before combat encounters just evolved into giant arenas filling up

with monsters.

But there's certainly something here for everyone if you're looking for pure, combat focused gameplay.

Having played the original, it's great to see something that didn't degenerate into RNG spamming by maps 6 or 7. I also remember playing it in a Boom port though, I think it would play fine here if the TITLEPIC wasn't animated.

The main issue was the repetitiveness of the action overall. Quite a bit of door-camping still, not enough of the heavy weapons to make things less monotonous. Last map stood head and shoulders above the rest. Despite the high monster count and BFG spamming, it's probably not the most difficult and actually was quite fun, other than the Revenant ledges maybe.