You ever feel like life is pointless

I just completed high school and fallout 2, and I have no goals or taskes given to me.

everyday I just wake up in my uncle's apartment, play some games listen to music, then go to sleep

I can't get a job due to not having papers required for a ID and I have struggles making friends and the few friends I do have are too busy with IRL stuff (not that I blame em, I understand there's nothing I can really do about that)

sometimes I wish I could feel something, I feel trapped in a state of limbo which it's easy to hear my regrets and sorrows and I just wish I didn't feel like this

I feel empty.

Im sorry you feel that way. I generally also feel sort of purposeless when school’s out. Even though I do work a job, it’s more or less a student position not meant to be a long term career, so it doesn’t really give me the same sense of purpose as school does.

But when I’m not at work I’m usually just in my room playing video games or watching YouTube, finding it hard to be motivated to work on any long term projects or reach out to friends.

I don’t have any advice or anything, I guess I’m just in a similar place, and I hope things get better for you.

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time but you got to try to find a way to stay positive and get meaning out of life besides high school and Fallout 2

As for having no goals or tasks givin to you, get out there and try to find something to strive for & create your own goals and tasks

There might be some things out of your control for the moment but you can find other ways out of the rut and even just get out and go for walks get some endorphins

I know we've had some unfortunate situations in the past working together and stuff but I do see that you're trying to make amends and stuff and being a better person and you also have that art thing too so

Keep your chin up man

Life kinda is pointless but on the flipside that means it's up to you to decide what you wanna do. The hard part is figuring out what exactly you wanna do. I'm 35 and I still don't know the answer to that question.

Probably the best advice is to find something you enjoy doing and hone your skills at it. I noticed your art thread and while your piece are to the rough side as you scroll thru that thread there is apparent improvement. If you keep at something you'll improve. Being in limbo as you say isn't the worst place to be, you've got time to sort out your thoughts and try to figure out what kind of goal you wanna set for yourself

Honestly I think you might have some goals already. If you're needing to get an ID to get a job, then you need to start figuring out a plan for getting the paperwork you need so you can start on that. Having a job means you'll have some semblance of a routine, and having money coming in means you'll start to build a mechanism to do more for yourself than just "get up and play games all day".

Keep this in mind: You're probably not the only person running up against the same blockers as you are currently facing w/ regards to getting a job. This means it's very likely that there is a way forward AND that there might even be specific guidance out there for it.

Frankly games and music is what got me through the years living in a broken home, when there's literally no other options present what are you suppose to do? Eventually life decided to make huge changes for me, by getting my home foreclosed lol. Either way, if you just keep going and stay kicking, you'll eventually end up where you want to be. You can't just always make the change you want yourself. Hopefully your life situation never gets that crazy though.

dear grungo, art is the most valuable experience a human can have other than meaningful relationships with others. While pointless in the grand scheme, try to enjoy what time you have where you can lounge and experience art, because these moments can be rare in one's lifetime so it's worth trying to enjoy them as much as you can. I wish you luck on your goals of getting government papers sorted out, that can be a real bummer to deal with. 

You and me, bud. I just had to block my mom's phone number and all socials because she wouldn't stop calling me a drug addict. The hardest drug I use is nicotine. She wakes up every day and smokes weed until she can't form sentences.

I'm sorry to hear that. If you have a religion, pray more. God gets me out of tough situations and loves us all.

I'm not forcing anyone to get a religion. Just a recommendation.

Life has no point.

It's up to YOU to give your life meaning. It's YOUR life. Enjoy it! =)

(Obligatory comment: "Ahhhh to be so young again.")

Well you're going to have to find a way to get a job eventually unless you can find someone to leech off of forever.

Or you could just go play the rest of the fallout series instead, that works too I guess.

3 minutes ago, DiavoJinx said:

Life has no point.

This.

To put it another way: life is a blank canvas. Paint the life you desire.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, DiavoJinx said:

Life has no point.

100% this. It's natural to get down at times, and feel like the struggle isn't worth it. And I can absolutely understand younger people being more prone to feeling this way in the current world climate. There's such a cycle of wars, pandemics, not ideal economic conditions etc that it all seems a bit hopeless. But there's nothing new here. We are not currently experiencing anything that hasn't happened before (even climate change has happened, albeit by more natural means), and yet we always seem to muddle through somehow. Nothing and no one is going to hand you a sense of purpose. You have to find it. You have to fight for it.

Edited by Murdoch

Posted (edited)

One of the most important things I ever did for my mental health was discovering philosophical nihilism. It helped me look past all of the constructs we've built around ourselves. Nothing in our society is permanent, inviolate or inherent. All our art, culture, morality, wealth, and knowledge, will disappear eventually. All our arguments about what economic system is best for society will cease to matter. There are things we learned two thousand years ago that have been long-forgotten. In a hundred years nobody is going to care about anything that happened today; in a thousand, nobody is going to care about anything that happened this decade. On a long enough timeline, there won't be anybody to care at all.

And that's okay.

Because we're not going to live a hundred years. We're definitely not going to live a thousand. We're living right here, right now. The most important moment in your life is the one you're living right now. So show some love to your loved ones, enjoy life free from the shackles of believing that you're here for some purpose because you're not, you were brought into this world without your consent just like everyone else. There is no fate but what we make.

The sound of rain on the roof.

The quiet ocean noise of passing cars.

The gekkering of foxes at play.

The way people express their culture through food.

The simple joy of getting that package you ordered.

Treating yourself to ice cream on a hot day (might do that myself this weekend!)

The day that video game you wanted finally came out.

Discovering a new movie you like.

Going to your favorite restaurant.

Going to your other favorite restaurant that's on the other end of town so you don't get to go much.

Discovering just how good a weighted blanket feels.

Finding new joy in stuffed animals. (You deserve a stuffed animal. They're little guys made to be loved.)

That sense of success when you manage some minor but annoying adult task (like getting your ID stuff sorted out, which you really should do.)

Posting on a decades-old forum in character as a caveman (or various Arnold Schwarzenegger characters, I guess.)

Pizza rolls, fresh out of the microwave.

Take joy in these. Take joy in the world around you. Find your own meaning in life.

Edited by june gloom

The only one capable of giving life a meaning is yourself. If you don't feel like it, your life won't have a meaning. That's my everyday's life, just living.

All the time. Much of the time, that ideation occupies the majority of my thinking. This place (among others) have gave me the sort of community feeling I've had to struggle far too much to find elsewhere. Sure, maybe I'll go attend an event or two at times, maybe volunteer, but that all feels kind of artificial. If you can find some kind of valuable connection with someone things will greatly improve. At least half of my struggles are because of not putting in enough consistent effort. There's never any guarantees but still, doing nothing always, always makes things worst. 

I'm gonna pop a lock on this thread for the sake of keeping things above board and decently civil, but I will say that I agree with the general consensus that life has as much meaning as you give it. MtPain27 gives some excellent advice in terms of stepping outside of your comfort zone and I'd add that removing yourself from your regular surroundings is a good way to clear your mind and reflect as you need to: some places end up as reminders and reinforcement of your own negative emotions if you stay in them for too long and it can potentially hamper your efforts to change. And of course, don't be afraid to ask for help from the important people in your life.