[Community Project] Second Mix! Combine your favorite classic maps! (6 Slots Open)

Posted (edited)

If I'm forced to I will change my map choices though it would kill the hilarious idea of double Hanger/Hangar. XD

EDIT:

Guess whose a moron and forgot which IWAD Hangar is from? XD

Can I change DooM 2 MAP01 for me to E1M1? XD

Actually since no one has picked these two maps I would like to try a tricky approach:

DooM 1's E2M1

Plutonia MAP16

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn
try to unconfuse the map list

Damn, I have made midi mashups for Nuclear Plant/Waste Tunnels, Containment Area/Spirit World, and Deimos Anomaly/Hanger (this one is subpar though) and sadly they can't be used here because one or more of these maps are already used with another. :( 

15 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

If I'm forced to I will change my map choices though it would kill the hilarious idea of double Hanger/Hangar. XD

I shouldn't need to force anyone to change, it's up to you!

2 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

Damn, I have made midi mashups for Nuclear Plant/Waste Tunnels, Containment Area/Spirit World, and Deimos Anomaly/Hanger (this one is subpar though) and sadly they can't be used here because one or more of these maps are already used with another. :( 

Don't worry, people are free to use whatever music they like anyway. I don't expect everyone to have a cool midi mashup on hand for their maps!

Changing my mind a little (so to not clashing with WASFDDDDD):

First Map:  Map05 : Ghost Town (Plutonia)

Second Map:  E3M9: Warrens (Doom)
Desired Slot: MAP04

4 minutes ago, mr-around said:

So basically, what is first map and what is the second one in spreadsheet?

That just shows what maps people have chosen to mix together into their new map.

1 minute ago, Cutman said:

Don't worry, people are free to use whatever music they like anyway. I don't expect everyone to have a cool midi mashup on hand for their maps!

Well it's not mandatory to use mashups, but it does add to what the project is going for and also a challenge for musicians to try out.

Jimmy and Silentzorah have done their own handful of mashups for people to use along with any new pieces any musician would like to throw into the ring. ;)

4 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

Jimmy and Silentzorah have done their own handful of mashups for people to use along with any new pieces any musician would like to throw into the ring. ;)

There's also the Amalgoom ost, both the A and B sides for people to use however they want.

I made a handful of songs for it, and there's a lot of talent in there too, so i recommend checking that out.

You know, I do have some screenshots of what I've cooked up so far (These were taken with the -nomonsters flag set)

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20240621_120200.png.a353609a28ae27fde6b2fe4e81e0824d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240621_120210.png.22a406dc285049488c94cab573a1700c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240621_132715.png.288273d1da3435891bfaa99fff4e1830.pngScreenshot_Doom_20240621_140302.png.cecea17624babb8bd8ec27c44153c792.png

I call it "Undertrenches"

It's got a very wartime aesthetic, especially with the prominent pipewal2 trenches (Undertrenches as I like to call them, from which this level gets its name)

I tried to make the Underhalls influences very prominent in the interior areas and the undertrenches themselves, and keep the Well of Souls influences as more of an undertone throughout the whole map, being most noticeable in the exterior areas where the sky and the mossy, gray cliffs can be seen

Any thoughts?

4 minutes ago, DankMetal said:

There's also the Amalgoom ost, both the A and B sides for people to use however they want.

I made a handful of songs for it, and there's a lot of talent in there too, so i recommend checking that out.

True, but the Amalgoom project was more strict on the maps/mashups being in order (E1M1+MAP01, E1M2+MAP02, etc) rather than creative freedom this project provides; plus there's TNT and Plutonia involved here too. It can make finding matching map(s) a bit difficult imho.

17 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

True, but the Amalgoom project was more strict on the maps/mashups being in order (E1M1+MAP01, E1M2+MAP02, etc) rather than creative freedom this project provides; plus there's TNT and Plutonia involved here too. It can make finding matching map(s) a bit difficult imho.

Yeah, but i hope someone finds something that they like for their map anyways.

Maybe a good soul can make mashups for this project? I would offer myself as a volunteer if it wasn't for the fact that my brain is expert at procrastinating.

Well, it's been a while. Might as well contribute to something after still being bedridden for a few month.

I am assuming the whole list of maps below are the taken ones, and if this is the case. Hehehe~.

I would like to claim Map26.

TNT Evilution-Map22, and DOOM-E2M1

@Cutman
I'm incorrectly listed as using Plutonia Map02 instead of Map08 (It's correct on the spreadsheet)
Also you misspelled my name but that doesn't really matter lol

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Cutman said:

@Gothic chose TNT MAP16 first before @Cutman 999 did. Could you work out a replacement map to use if your heart isn't set on it?

Someone already took tnt map 12 already?

Edited by Cutman 999

4 hours ago, mr-around said:

Changing my mind a little (so to not clashing with WASFDDDDD):

First Map:  Map05 : Ghost Town (Plutonia)

Second Map:  E3M9: Warrens (Doom)
Desired Slot: MAP04

I'm sorry, I already claimed ghost town. I can try to think of an alternative if you've got a clear-cut gimmick in mind already

For community projects like these, it's generally best to not reserve specific map slots (aside from special places like 01, 30, the secret exits, maybe 07), or at least reserve the right to reorder the maps before release to fit, otherwise the difficulty curve is going to fly all over the place. The theme itself doesn't require an exact ordering, since mappers are free to combine whichever two maps they wish.

Relatedly, you're probably best off not targeting exactly 32 maps, unless you're willing to open up more "slots" and then take the best-of-32 at the end of it. Inevitably, many people that claim a slot will end up dropping it for some reason, and even with the 3-week expiration, you'll inevitably wind up in a situation where there are less than 32 finished submissions at the end of it. In cases like that, it's best to release what you've got rather than overextend the project to try and hit exactly-32 -- lots of projects "bleed out" in this phase. Plus, if you're using UMAPINFO, you can tie off the set in a nice bow at the end of it (for ports that support it) regardless of length.

I may be choir-preaching, just seen plenty of projects fall into these pitfalls, so I gotta give my usual cautionary spiel about it. :P

15 hours ago, Cutman said:

Nope, just nothing offensive.

The slots are filling up but we have some more duplicate map entries!

@Gothic chose TNT MAP16 first before @Cutman 999 did. Could you work out a replacement map to use if your heart isn't set on it?

@Cutman 999 chose Plutonia's Well of Souls just before @Quin and @WASFDDDDD. Could you discuss if you're willing to change that map? Also slot 11 was taken so I moved Quin to slot 12.

I wanted to gauge interest before setting a strict deadline, however 3 weeks after someone claims a slot I will badger them to see progress. I'll set a hard deadline once every slot is filled and I'm confident it can be met.

Is Map19 taken? If not, that will replace my second choice.

1 hour ago, Xaser said:

For community projects like these, it's generally best to not reserve specific map slots (aside from special places like 01, 30, the secret exits, maybe 07), or at least reserve the right to reorder the maps before release to fit, otherwise the difficulty curve is going to fly all over the place. The theme itself doesn't require an exact ordering, since mappers are free to combine whichever two maps they wish.

Relatedly, you're probably best off not targeting exactly 32 maps, unless you're willing to open up more "slots" and then take the best-of-32 at the end of it. Inevitably, many people that claim a slot will end up dropping it for some reason, and even with the 3-week expiration, you'll inevitably wind up in a situation where there are less than 32 finished submissions at the end of it. In cases like that, it's best to release what you've got rather than overextend the project to try and hit exactly-32 -- lots of projects "bleed out" in this phase. Plus, if you're using UMAPINFO, you can tie off the set in a nice bow at the end of it (for ports that support it) regardless of length.

I may be choir-preaching, just seen plenty of projects fall into these pitfalls, so I gotta give my usual cautionary spiel about it. :P

May I add to this? I think this project would benefit more if the cap on whichever map is taken is removed. Who cares if we get a lot of E1M1s and/or MAP01s mixed with other maps. As long as they are all unique and original, I'd play them.

Posted (edited)

Here is the first (early) version of the Map 24 (Doom 2) + E1M3 map.
The Destroyed Refinery
What this includes
-Full level

-UV Max possible
-Coop and Deathmatch starts + Deathmatch weapons

What this does not include
-Correct Sky texture
-Difficulty settings other than UV and NM

Feel free to critique certain aspects as well as the difficulty weather it be too easy or too hard.

Spoiler

project3.png.f4eb291bc77128997a1792efde561f89.pngproject4.png.21d12297ebef3e7ef31b697bcc5acf6e.pngproject2.png.fb42e52692ec7349a0e41cf04ec51e2b.pngproject1.png.5fdc212c89cd6a79a866c41e1b7217e6.png

Edited by Bendy1