Ultimate Doom demos [-complevel 3]

13 hours ago, kuckkuck said:

E1M8 UV-Max 0:57:83

Probably should've told you this earlier but I got occupied and forgot.

You should use "." instead of ":" to separate seconds and milliseconds. For example, this run should be 0:57.83 instead of 0:57:83. "0:57:83" means 57 minutes 83 seconds :P

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Probably should've told you this earlier but I got occupied and forgot.

You should use "." instead of ":" to separate seconds and milliseconds. For example, this run should be 0:57.83 instead of 0:57:83. "0:57:83" means 57 minutes 83 seconds :P

Damn, now you've exposed me, since I thought that no one watched the demos to the end and noticed, that my times were actually minutes long and not seconds O_O.

Thx for pointing it out. I swear that I always saw a : instead of . between seconds and mileseconds, only now I see it correctly. Nice mandela effect I guess. I fixed it everywhere.

Edited by kuckkuck

3 hours ago, kuckkuck said:

Thx for pointing it out. I swear that I always saw a : instead of . between seconds and mileseconds, only now I see it correctly. Nice mandela effect I guess. I fixed it everywhere.

Honestly people use all sort of weird stuff as separator for non WR demos... and there are a few instances I asked people to fix these and it went weirdly, so I did hesitate a bit heh.

Though, WR is a bit different so I hope it can be marked correctly heh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

GG, good candidate for best demo of the year so far. Probably not a record that will be taken anytime soon, unless kuckkuck4 appears.

Edited by Kinetic

Paging megasphere308 and Billa...

Nightmare-stroller sweep; 8 runs for Doom 1 incoming!

One day, almost two months ago, I woke up and thought about a video called "Ultimate Doom - 5 levels on Nightmare-Stroller" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWpyTHPoGMQ), made by megasphere308.

I don't know why I thought about it and wanted to see it again. Last year, when I saw it for the first time I just thought to myself that it was a rather ridiculous thing; something amusing to try perhaps but certainly not for me. Now, seeing it again, I realized that nightmare-stroller is (and always was) a real thing, a real, natural category of Doom speedrunning that just has to be there on the speed boards. (I'll make a thread about that soon, a petition to get the category on DSDA.) Anyway, as I started investigating it with fresh eyes, I became quite intrigued.

There was this line of text under megasphere308's video: "I don't think that others levels would be doable, however I'd be happy to be wrong!" I was like, "hold my rum cola". I started looking into maps and chose one by intuition: E2M3. It was a tough learning curve for sure. My favorite part of strolling is formulating strategies and solving an area. With nightmare-strolling, these aspects became more important than ever. In fact, on nightmare-stroller there are not many maps you can just breeze through without a tightly executed plan. To learn to get through certain areas I made a practice wad where I modified the player to start (sometimes with armor) right at a difficult part just so I could practice a specific part again and again and find viable strategies. The approach paid off; without it I would never have solved certain parts during real attempts, such as the dark maze in E2M3.

As my skills got better I started to get ideas for other maps, but I kept grinding E2M3 until I got it; I didn't want to try any easier ones until I had the map in the bag.

As mentioned, I was on a nightmare-strolling spree of 8 runs. 1 of them is a time improvement for a map previously run by megasphere308. 7 of them are for maps not previously nightmare-strolled (as far as I know). I'll begin with E2M3 (next post), then post others in an order that is not linear, and end with a run that was either the hardest or second hardest, I can't decide which one it was but I can say it was painful... Enjoy the show!

Posted (edited)

E2M3 nightmare-stroller 1:20.06

n2m3str120.zip

It looks quite chaotic at times but almost everything here is carefully executed strategy (or so I like to think). Took me about 4960 attempts to get this one exit.

Edited by slowfade
fixed upload

E2M2 nightmare-stroller 32.40

n2m2str3240.zip

This is the one that improves megasphere308's run. I don't care about this map much but I wanted to show that the poison route can be done with some zig zagging. About 45 attempts.

E3M2 nightmare-stroller 34.77

n3m2str034.zip

This is the easiest of the bunch. Took about 10 attempts. Much to improve for those who want to.

E3M3 nightmare-stroller 1:09.09

n3m3str109.zip

As I got better at my E2M3 attempts, I started thinking this map might be doable as well. It was interesting to return to this map and do it differently after the nightmare it was for normal strolling. Instead of trying to drop down after getting the blue armor I'm backtracing to the lift and get through the corridors and stairs. This brought constantly good results, and because I did over 12,000 attempts of this map in summer, I just couldn't face the idea of dropping down after collecting the armor which is what I did in my normal stroller... Instead of trying to push through the imp room, which might be impossible on nightmare-stroller, I lure them away and walk past them. This one took about 1000 attempts.

E3M8 nightmare-stroller 1:07.03

n3m8str107.zip

About 30 attempts. Due to the furiousness of the nightmare monsters, I expect this time to go much lower than the ordinary stroller record which is still 6 seconds faster than this! But I'm not very interested in the boss maps so I won't be doing that.

E1M2 nightmare-stroller 1:12.77

n1m2str112.zip

A bit more interesting run here. The zombie pistol RNG can be so brutal. Most times I died soon or right after opening the red door. But on this run I had some great luck. I do the rather counterintuitive strategy of running into the secret area filled with shotgunners. But strangely enough on nightmare-stroller this strategy usually works well and I get away with about 150 health. Not this time. I also get blocked after getting the red key and lose even more health. About 150 attempts.

Posted (edited)

E2M5 nightmare-stroller 1:19.09

n2m5str119.zip

This one's great, in my opinion. The map feels very doom-y to run on nightmare-stroller. The atmosphere. Long tight corridors. Chasing monsters everywhere. This run has several subtle movements that may not be apparent to the casual viewer, but which are nevertheless necessary to perform to ensure good results, or even to survive. Like for instance near the end I step out the door only to step back immediately as fireballs fly past from both directions, but that moves the imps, opening up a better way for me to get past them. About 1100 attempts. Edit: Could've been an easy 18 but I literally forgot how to use the exit switch as I was so excited to get there.

Edited by slowfade

E2M1 nightmare-stroller 1:25.43

n2m1str125.zip

This was a challenging one. Quite likely the most difficult of them. About 2980 attempts. I had to practice this map in sections to find the strategies and learn to do them.

To begin with, right at the start you have to get past 10 pistol zombies. This was the most annoying part for me because of the hitscanner RNG. It may look like you'll survive with 80 health but then pow pow pow your health is 20. The actual rattling of the guns could annoy me so much sometimes. Ok, this section done. Off to the teleport! Only to face... 5 pistolmen, 3 shotgunners, 9 imps -- all firing at you like there's no tomorrow. But with the correct maneuvers it becomes possible, viable, statistically doable... I get through, I snatch the green armor, then the medkit, then head for the next teleport. Surely this was the worst of it?! NO! Hehe.

Now I have an area that took the longest for me to find a somewhat viable strategy. This relatively small space boasts 7 pinkies, 2 shotgunners, 1 imp. It is so brutal! You can have 100 health and 100 green armor, and two pinkies aligned around you can kill you in less than a second. It was just trial and error to find a way. If I could use TASing tools things might have been easier. Eventually I found this strategy: I hit the switch, then back to the corner, then turn to face the specific pixels you see me facing. Then I wait for the horde of pinkies to make its move. Ideally a few run past me to right. I start moving. Then it's just chaos. But this setup gives me a good headstart sometimes and I get through this time. But just barely getting through isn't enough, you'll need some good health for the next sections...

After teleporting in, I immediately go for the switch to raise the stairs before the caco, then I activate the caco, then run back to the teleport I used to get here. I count in my head for a while and then go back. If things have gone well, and they often do with this strat, the caco has descended the stairs. I run up the stairs, hit the switch, run for the lowering teleport.

Never has there been a caco as scary as it is here, on nightmare-stroller, solidly standing in front of the exit door! I wait a bit for infighting to go on in the room I teleported from, then I walk forward to lower the wall, let the caco see me, and go back to the teleport. I spend a little time in this room, trying not to get hit by anything, while elsewhere the caco moves away from the exit door. Then I teleport back. As predicted, the beast has moved to the right side of the room. I run for the exit. There'll be a blocking imp behind the door... I run back. The caco shots have a tendency to take large portions of health in this room, and several times I died right here, trying to dodge them while trying to get the imp to hit the caco. This time I have excellent luck with that and it happens immediately. They start fighting, and just as the caco demolishes the imp, I sneak past and go for the exit, getting a ball in the back on the way. Luckily its RNG is low this time but it could've killed me just as easily. I hit the switch.

Good job. That beat's Light_speed's time by 1 second in his UV fast movie. He also doesn't need to take the rocket launcher.