The Doom Confessional Booth

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Well good news, no actor is Doom is infinitely tall, they all have explicitly defined heights. ;)

Right, but I mean the part where you can't cross a gap because a pinky is down there and he's blocking your way (and you fall down and he bites your nose off). Of all of Classic Doom's limitations, it's the only one I don't find endearing, because it otherwise offers pretty generous mobility.

Look at this pour soul having his Nightmare run ruined.

I always turn it off when playing GzDoom, because sometimes it's fun to run on top of a bunch of pinkie heads

I'm a self proclaimed continuator of Team TNT ideas and design (even when i don't really know them, just guessing from their mapping and designing style), but lately, i been greatly enjoying Doom 2 and the Sandy Petersen abstract style maps.

I sinned even further, i started to write a thread with all the megawads and projects that i found are more in line with the Sandy Petersen abstract galore, but i feel soo bad about it that i deleted the thread before i completed it.

Now i feel a guilty pleasure every time i boot up Doom 2 and enjoy it quircky abstract design not matching at all the map name (Catacombs, i'm looking at you).

I still feel that TNT: Evilution mix of abstract and realistic is the perfection of the formula for Doom maps.
I gives a sense of place, but also surprises you with abstract touches.

I don't understand why people doesn't get that is the same design that a lot of megawads refined and perfected later on.
Alien Vendetta, 2002: A Doom Odyssey, Vile Flesh, Kama Sutra, Valiant, REKKR, Eviternity, Three is a Crowd, CPD are just good examples of this trend.

I created a deathmatch level that was thematically based on the most hated TNT map of all time. Yes, that one.

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I sinned even further, i started to write a thread with all the megawads and projects that i found are more in line with the Sandy Petersen abstract galore, but i feel soo bad about it that i deleted the thread before i completed it.

oh that's a shame, I would love to see that! 8D

15 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I'm a self proclaimed continuator of Team TNT ideas and design (even when i don't really know them, just guessing from their mapping and designing style), but lately, i been greatly enjoying Doom 2 and the Sandy Petersen abstract style maps.

I'm much the same, I love pseudorealism like you can see in TNT at times, and I really enjoy Sandy's approaches to level design (even if not so much visually). It's why E2M2, E2M6, and E2M7, are some of my very favorite iwad levels.

• 1 month later...

I used to think that a good number of classic wads - Alien Vendetta, Kama Sutra, the two Scythes, the two Epics and most importantly, the 1024 series, just to name a few - had unique soundtrack composed solely for them (barring the OST and the Duke Nukem 3D ones) while they didn't have, except for a select very few maps. Probably attributed this to the fact that this was the very thing in case of similar-tier names like Memento Mori I-II., Requiem and nearly anything (co-)created by PCorf post-millennia (whom I used to be a rather embarrassing fanboy of.)

I genuinely don't know what made me believe in this so hard that when I found out the unabridged truth about all the soundtracks, I basically went "THERE IZ OTHER GAME AND ALSO MUZAK FROM OTHER GAME?! IMPOSSIBRU!!!" inside my mind.

Edited by Cell

And I myself have not played a wad since July. Touched some for the Ironman League, but that's it.

Here’s one that will probably give you all a giggle :-P

As a kid, I didn’t know you could run in DooM and because of that, I hated map 2 of DooM 2 as jumping over the gap to where the red key is without running is pretty much impossible XD

Only way I could do it was by SR40ing the gap so on the plus side, at least my young, stupid, naive self taught me how to SR40 years before I ever learnt SR40 was a thing XD

A month ago I found out the Imps are brown coloured. I have colour blindness, so for years I always thought imps were green. Wasn't till my partner asked wtf I was talking about green fireball throwing demons while playing Doom.

Unrelated I also handed in homework for school where I had coloured grass brown :/

On 12/1/2020 at 3:50 PM, HLRaven said:

I prefer to use GZDoom more than other sourceports because of how convenient it is and how many mods there are for it (I will still go PRBoom but only for gigantic monster counts)

GZDoom is the only source port i use. other confessions? well....

• i dont like bolognese [i prefer nashgore]
  • i still havent beat Doom 2 yet [i just beat Doom on UV yesterday, not including thy flesh consumed]
  • im not the biggest fan of thy flesh consumed........[is this just me?]
  • i am still scared of the cyberdemon 
  • just recently i ramped up my difficulty to UV

Also, who needs a chainsaw when you got a berserk pack? i love going full on Saitama on those Pinky Demons, hehehehe....

10 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

im not the biggest fan of thy flesh consumed

i really love E4M1. was never able to beat E4M2, so i don't know about other E4 maps. ;-)

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

i really love E4M1. was never able to beat E4M2, so i don't know about other E4 maps. ;-)

i also really like E4M1, i beat E4M2, but after that i was like......meh......

6 hours ago, DooM Bear said:

Here’s one that will probably give you all a giggle :-P

As a kid, I didn’t know you could run in DooM and because of that, I hated map 2 of DooM 2 as jumping over the gap to where the red key is without running is pretty much impossible XD

Only way I could do it was by SR40ing the gap so on the plus side, at least my young, stupid, naive self taught me how to SR40 years before I ever learnt SR40 was a thing XD

I think I was worse, I remember the Doom Key FAQ on GameFAQs had some weird descriptions for some of the keys. For the E4M8 Red Key, he mentions to "push the mural" (that wall with the Icon of Sin face that acts like a door). I thought you meant you had to physically push it by walking up against it or something, thinking to myself "Does Ultimate Doom add the ability to push things?"

In E4M9 which only has a Yellow Key, his locations for the Red/Blue Keys are something like "When Spectres fly". When I was a kid, I didn't know that was a figure of speech, I thought the key would appear when you saw Spectres appear out of thin air and drop down to the ground (since that's how some monsters in some of the Doom 64 levels spawn, so the idiot in me totally believed it).

I don't like TNT, at all. It's just too ugly and long for me. I only like a couple maps. Honestly the only reason you can like it is if you're someone like MtPain27 who grew up with TNT and has nostalgia for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to hold a contest where the goal was to count all the tiles in E3M5. But I backed out, because it's a terrible idea even by joke standards (and also due to the fact that I couldn't have provided a reasonable prize for the winner.)

In hindsight, most if not all of my Doom ideas were godawful.

[EDIT] @Scypek2 is an absolute madman. O_O I hope he didn't even write, like, a C program for solving this.

Edited by Cell

13 hours ago, Cell said:

I was going to hold a contest where the goal was to count all the tiles in E3M5. But I backed out, because it's a terrible idea even by joke standards (and also due to the fact that I couldn't have provided a reasonable prize for the winner.)

FLOOR0_7 tiles: 2048 per pixels each, 2 per each 64x64 square.

(19x64^2 - 64x16)
All the little doorways, one of which is slightly smaller than all the others for SOME reason

Left soulsphere area:
Leftmost bit is 3*96^2 + 2x64*2. That adds up to 8.75 64x64 squares.

Upper and lower protrusions of it total 6.5 64x64 squares.

Diagonal protrusions are 2.5 of a 64x64 square each, totaling 10 64x64 square.

The central part remaining is a square, adding up to 36 64x64 squares.

The only part left is the entrance, with the antechamber itself totaling 11 64x64 squares, one of the doors 2 64x64 squares in size... and the other door being 8 units narrower for no reason, meaning it's 120x64 in size. So the entrance is 14,875 64x64 squares in size.

So in total, the left soulsphere area equals 76,125 64x64 squares!

Besides the doorways and the soulsphere area, it's just the bottom area!

The starting door is 64x16, so I could add that up to that one missing doorway bit nicely to get a whole 64x64 tile total.

The starting nook is 15 64x64 tiles.

The rest of the starting area is mostly 56x4 + 3x4 64x64 tiles, totaling 236 64x64 tiles, but the two hanging bodies above the rightmost door also have those tiles above them! And they're a weird diagonal shape, but I can tell you they contain 10 16x16 squares each, so 20 16x16 squares, and one 64x64 square contains 16 16x16 squares so that means 1.25 squares.

That concludes the starting room, but I'll add the 4 starting room doors to get it over with. No weirdness there fortunately, nice 8 64x64 squares.

So in total, the starting room is 259.5 squares!

The rest should be pretty simple. The room with the lite amp secret... 13 non-secret squares, then 9+26.5, 22.5 total.

The square imp-filled room is 12 64x64 tiles.

The curved corridor is problematic, but it's also symmetrical, so that helps! It really is symmetrical, I double-checked.

The part of it that's not annoying is 46 64x64 squares.

The part that is... equals 5 64x64 squares... and also 5 48x48 squares, and one 128x48 square, minus one 16x16 square. Whatever.

The annoying part adds up to 5 64x64 squares + 11520 pixels + 6144 pixels - 256 pixels. So 5 64x64 squares plus 17408 pixels, so 9.25 squares total.

And that concludes the corridor, totaling 55.25 squares!

All that together...

18.75 (small doors) + 76,125 (soulsphere area) + 259.5 (starting rom) + 22.5 (lite amp area) + 55.25 (curved corridor).

All that adds up to... 454,625 64x64 squares! And with two FLOOR0_7 tiles per square, the final number is...

909,25 FLOOR0_7 tiles.

If this post gets 1500 likes I'll count all the other tile textures too.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:45 PM, AtticTelephone said:

I don't like TNT, at all. It's just too ugly and long for me. I only like a couple maps. Honestly the only reason you can like it is if you're someone like MtPain27 who grew up with TNT and has nostalgia for it.

hey! i really like TNT, and i didnt grow up with it!

it just fun, thats all!

i like it for its fun and challenging gameplay.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:59 AM, Cell said:

[EDIT] @Scypek2 is an absolute madman. O_O I hope he didn't even write, like, a C program for solving this.

I guess I could've used some kinda map image exporting tool, then floodfill select the relevant sectors in paint.net and have it tell me the amount of pixels in the entire area, and calculate the amount of tiles from there. But doing it manually seemed like it fit the spirit of the challenge, plus there's no rounding errors with the non-orthagonal stuff. When I counted it manually I could just mentally cut every triangle into two pieces to create a rectangle. Or put two identical triangles together, more commonly. Learning maths in school paid off at last.

If you have no reasonable prize to give me, feel free to give me an unreasonable one. Like a quirky map or something, that E3M2 remake was pretty good.

One of my dreams is that old id software crew would unite for one more time to make oldschool megawad or episode... It would be so great, but reality is different beast. At least we have Romero's Sigil and other couple levels. 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:26 PM, Scypek2 said:

If you have no reasonable prize to give me, feel free to give me an unreasonable one. Like a quirky map or something, that E3M2 remake was pretty good.

Wish I could, but the laptop I store all my executables on has broken down recently, so I better re-purchase everything from scratch first. Sadly this also means that the good number of map stubs and chunks from the same device are also lost for good, so I either nail them 100% from memory or move onto different things.

Funny you mentioned the Middle Finger map though. The idea was not 100% original, I - partially - modeled the idea after the (unfinishable) Facepalm map.

But I gotta admit, it still gives you a good fight at least.

So, all I can say now, the best way to expect anything from me is not to give me a deadline, that way it would still see the light of the day sometime later. I still can work wonders, even if it's only happening 859 years later (number I grabbed from a random prime generator.)

Spoiler

I am not going to elaborate what kind of quirky wad I would've made for you sometime earlier, that joke's been around for 9 years and it really wore out its welcome by now. Woof woof.

I have a few confessions, really.

- Despite playing Doom for years, I can't play proficiently above Hurt Me Plenty. I know plenty of people in old discord servers I've been in that were like "Ultra Violence is the only way to play" and I'm just sitting here shrinking in my seat like "oh okay." I don't feel bad about it, I just find it a little bit funny.
- I've been a lurker on the Doomworld/ZDoom forums for years, I've only just recently created my account and started talking little by little is because I wanted to one day create Doom maps, no matter the quality.

- My time of being a lurker led me to downloading nearly 100 GBs of Doom 1/Doom 2 PWADs, to which I would play and "review" in text documents on my computer.

- I enjoy playing Classic Doom 1 + 2 more than Doom 2016 and Eternal. 

Here's some "sins": i hate most sourceports that aren't gzdoom or zandronum, i used to play on iddqd mode back in the 90's, i do not like the original skulltag weapons, and im not very fond of most of doom 2's maps.

8 hours ago, Elzatraz said:

My time of being a lurker led me to downloading nearly 100 GBs of Doom 1/Doom 2 PWADs, to which I would play and "review" in text documents on my computer.

Post 'em up on here, dude!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, Elzatraz said:

- My time of being a lurker led me to downloading nearly 100 GBs of Doom 1/Doom 2 PWADs, to which I would play and "review" in text documents on my computer.

@Endless would love reading these if you ever want to publish them.

I rarely play on Ultra-Violence. Most of the time, I play on HMP with carryovers, the exception being for levels that feel really boring on HMP.

Also, my first experience with many of the Doom II monsters was in Freedoom Phase 2, and for a while I thought the Dark Soldiers (equivalent to Revenants) were Arch-Viles.