The Doom Confessional Booth

I was pretty late to the party in knowing that there was a Spider Mastermind in Doom. We had the PSX port of Doom as a kid but I don't ever remember seeing the two Spider Masterminds at the end of the game (I do remember playing Redemption Denied but kept getting killed by that herd of Barons of Hell), I'm not sure what happened to our disc but afterwards I had a combination of PC Shareware Doom, Doom 64, and the SNES port of Doom. Obviously the Spider Mastermind does not appear in Shareware Doom, and I largely played Doom 64, where I knew the Cyberdemon existed.

I remember playing episode 2 of PC Doom on my grandmother's computer before I got the SNES port of Doom, and was absolutely surprised when I found the Cyberdemon in Tower of Babel (the Doom/Ultimate Doom manual makes no mention of the Cyberdemon/Spider Mastermind, but both are listed in every manual since, most likely as they are boss enemies in the first Doom and were to be kept secret). I hadn't played episode 3 on the PC yet so I still didn't know of the Spider Mastermind, and after months (maybe a year?) of a long struggle on the SNES port of Doom, I reached the end of episode 3 and was definitely freaked out by the Spider Mastermind (Mt. Erebus and Limbo were two huge sticking points for me, had a ton of trouble navigating the levels, I even found the secret exit by accident in Mt. Erebus before I even found the Blue Key).

On 7/31/2022 at 11:04 PM, peach freak said:

This is my shortcut icon for Chocolate Doom in my Ultimate Doom Chocolate Doom folder (I have a Chocolate Doom folder for each Doom IWAD):

image.png.8ffc3680e09e5604b2a84907b1b0be6d.png

My grandmother's Windows 95 PC that had an install of Doom on it had the MS-DOS icon for the shortcut, so it gives me memories of playing Doom on her computer and Doom is the first thing I think of when I see this icon.

I have the exact same memories of the many DOS games I used to play, and when I was a kid I thought this icon meant that the program is a game.

my earliest breakfast-related memories that stand to this day involve chex quest, in the box. i never did play it, but my brain remembers the icon? at that age, the dos prompt terrified me. still have yet played it. cereal box software was a wild era

I have bought a copy of Doom for every platform I own, I own PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and mobile versions.

I usually avoid piracy unless it is an absolute last resort/if it cannot be bought anywhere/anymore.

It's not out of principle mind you, I just do it because I can.

I just played through Mouldy's exciting new hit, Overboard, but with the -nomusic parameter and with whatever other background music I was listening to at the time when I launched it.  I am sorry Mouldy, nothing personal against you or your music.

1) I don't know how to access the secret levels in Doom I without the use of the console.*

*Fun fact I actually found the way to Fortress Of Mystery  (E2M9) without the console, needless to say I was so happy that I could not contain it.

2) I HATE Limbo (E3M7)

• 4 weeks later...

-My save-game names are usually titled whatever I'm feeling when it comes to the map I'm playing. For example, while on the last few maps of Scythe 2, my saves were called "FUCK YOU ERIK".

-Besides E3M9, I don't know how to get to any secret maps in Ultimate Doom.

-I can't find any enjoyment out of TNT after around MAP15. I've heard the reasons like it's atmospheric and whatnot, but the only redeeming quality of the wad to me is the music (which has had better uses in pwads).

At one point I found the French version of Doom 2. I was kind of pissed at where the missing maps went.

And that everything was in French.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:14 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

I never really liked how the vanilla shotgun sounds. It's too understated and needs a bit more base/thump to it.

I feel this way about the Super Shotgun. To me, it just sounds kind of underwhelming. Like someone slamming a door shut. I very much prefer the PSX Super Shotgun sound!

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I can be so angry at map that I can even use "Noclip" & "Resurrect" cheat-codes in the very dire situations...

Edited by RastaManGames

Never beaten Doom 2 legit, never beaten E4 of Doom 1, don't even have the Final Doom iwad.
I prefer a good handful of gameplay mods (Guncaster, High Noon Drifter, Project Malice) to vanilla doom.
I savescum and resurrect often.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

a blue floppy disk briefly shows up in my visual field's periphery at least 3 times a week.

That's just auto-save. Please make sure you don't fall asleep when you see this logo.

18 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

The SSG from Doom 2 is the worst weapon on the entire game.

I'm interested to know why you think that? This is not an attack; I'm interested in your perspective. Personally, I find myself usually playing mostly with the SSG and chaingun, and I think the SSG is quite a good weapon.

There are distinct negatives to the SSG, to be sure. The slow reload rate means that if you miss or fail to stun lock your opponent, then you would be vulnerable to the enemy's attack. It also chews through shells, so if they're in short supply, and you're not being careful, you can easily run out at an inopportune time. In my opinion, these negatives balance out the strength of the weapon (the SSG is about equivalent to a rocket minus the splash damage).

Nevertheless, I'm interested to know your thoughts on the SSG.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:27 AM, Spineapple tea said:

Besides E3M9, I don't know how to get to any secret maps in Ultimate Doom.

Similarly, I know how to get there, but I never did it while playing the game the first time (back in 1994). In fact, the only secret map that I found while playing either Doom 1 or 2 was E2M9. And I couldn't actually tell you how to get to it, which is why, in retrospect, I've always been somewhat amazed that I found that map.

I have a few.

I started mapping in...............

Spoiler

SLADE3

, in 2019.

I also think the single shotgun sounds weak too, but I used to like it because it sounded like one of the tanks from a fairly basic looking RTS I used to enjoy eons ago called "A.R.S.E.N.A.L: Taste the Power".

I think there's a lack of good gore flats that look similar to BODIES or the SKINEDGE/FACE textures, in vanilla or otex, even in Otex I've only found one skull flat, but perhaps I missed some since there's such a huge selection.

• 4 weeks later...

I still don't have a legal copy of DOOM II yet. Instead, I use the Unity version of Plutonia from my Steam copy of The Ultimate DOOM for my usual IWAD, in replacement of DOOM II. And yes, I'm gonna fix that mistake of not having DOOM II legally when the Steam Christmas Sale comes.Okay, judge me however you like.

Edited by taufan99

7 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I still don't have a legal copy of DOOM II yet. Instead, I use the Unity version of Plutonia from my Steam copy of The Ultimate DOOM for my usual IWAD, in replacement of DOOM II. And yes, I'm gonna fix that mistake of not having DOOM II legally when the Steam Christmas Sale comes.Okay, judge me however you like.

Same, didn't got a legit Doom II copy until few years ago (only have Ult. Doom atm). Actually, all my wads are in the Ult. Doom folder.

The fun part is that I was planning to buy Final Doom few months before the re-release and the merge of all Doom 2 iwads into the same folder. That was a great luck. B)

On 12/5/2022 at 4:17 AM, facespkz said:

I mouselooked the Icon of Sin on my first playthrough.

I always do that now. I hate the Icon of Sin boss. It's a lazy timed exercise. I finished it once or twice without mouselook to say I genuinely have finished it, but now when I play a megawad that features this boss, I always just use mouselook and get over it.

• 1 month later...