Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project - v2.0 Release (updated 11/28/22)

1 hour ago, Notsee said:

I seem to have found a bug causing the sprites of the dead marines to clip through the floor

That's not a bug. Most sprites clip through the floor. This is intentional.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Notsee said:

I seem to have found a bug causing the sprites of the dead marines to clip through the floor

Sprites clipping through the floor (visually) is a flaw of hardware renderers, not the sprites themselves. Software renderers draw sprites over the floor even if part of them are sunk into the floor. If you're using GZDoom, you can try adjusting the sprite clipping option in the hardware renderer settings, for some reason loading the WAD seems to affect whatever logic GZDoom uses to handle this sprite.

Edit: It looks like GZDoom defines its own sprite offsets, which is why you don't see the dead marine clip through the floor normally, even with "adjust sprite clipping" set to "never," but this goes away as soon as you load a new sprite over it, even if that sprite is identical to the one from the IWAD.

Edited by Shepardus

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I just noticed that apparently some of the fixes work for me (are shown in game) while others don't?! 

For instance, the heavy weapon dude not moving back and forth anymore works!

But I still get to see a hole in the rocket launcher when firing it!

Anybody able to help?

I use them like this: (via ZDL)

2.JPG.a557e643c166ee2df7bd9decde03b899.JPG

It makes no difference if I use a custom WAD or just the original Doom II IWAD, I've tried both and it's the same with both.

Edited by Bedingungsl.Grundeinkommen

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2024 at 7:17 PM, Bedingungsl.Grundeinkommen said:

I just noticed that apparently some of the fixes work for me (are shown in game) while others don't?! 

For instance, the heavy weapon dude not moving back and forth anymore works!

But I still get to see a hole in the rocket launcher when firing it!

Are you certain you're actually loading the sprite fix WAD? The only way part of the sprite fixes could be working while other parts are not is if there's an additional PWAD being loaded at the same time which overrides a portion of the sprite fixes.

To be absolutely certain you're loading the sprite fixes, can you take a picture of the Rocket Launcher firing frame with the visible hole and also a picture of the Super Shotgun in its idle state (to see if the erroneous brown pixel is there)?