Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

fabian

Just a quick question: is large sprites popping in/out of view a core behavior that's being replicated here? With certain sprites (like the Spider Mastermind, Mancubi corpses, etc) I noticed that they will disappear completely as I turn away from them but before they've fully left view, then pop back in suddenly as I turn back toward them. Not sure if that's a bug, though.

Edited by bofu

• 2 weeks later...

@bofu Sounds like a bug, can you provide more info on your system/config/etc.?

I can't reproduce it btw, unless I misunderstand you. Here's a picture of the spiderdemon just outside of view.

nRxwiFsl.png

3 hours ago, plums said:

@bofu Sounds like a bug, can you provide more info on your system/config/etc.?

I can't reproduce it btw, unless I misunderstand you. Here's a picture of the spiderdemon just outside of view.

nRxwiFsl.png

Looks like it only happens if the center of the monster is in a sector that isn't visible to the player, such as a detail sector. I'll try to get some images later when I'm not on mobile, but I had a mancubus die in the middle of a light gradient sector that was about 8 units wide (it's easier to reproduce if you have a few of these), and that made this behavior happen.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:34 PM, bofu said:

Just a quick question: is large sprites popping in/out of view a core behavior that's being replicated here?

It's how also vanilla behaves. In one of my vanilla wads I had a decoration with large sprite and low radius and it was disappearing at some angles

That's what I thought. So not technically a "bug," at least not on Crispy's part.

That's why GZDoom introduced "renderradius" flag in later versions so you can evade the issue. The only issue with it happen if it's getting super big and occupying enormous spaces and it slows down like hell. Let's say if crispy ever introduces such a feature "mod" and increase render radiuses just slightly it's not going to take performance down by any matter.

Hello, in 6.0 seems that pausing the game makes the level music silent. Same happened in Woof before 11.03

5 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

pausing the game pauses the music, that's vanilla behavior I think

Yes, sorry, what I meant was that music keeps being silent even after un-pausing the game so you must restart the program

Edited by s4f3s3x

11 minutes ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

Does it happens with FluidSynth music module? If so, it was fixed, you may wish to try development build from Chocolate Doom autobuilds (latest.chocolate-doom.org/).

I'm afraid I can't use autobuilds since I'm on MacOs - I get Crispy via Homebrew - but yes, I do use FluidSynth (with a custom soundfont)

Edited by s4f3s3x

3 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

Yes, sorry, what I meant was that music keeps being silent even after un-pausing the game so you must restart the program

Yeah, that should be fixed for the next release. Until then, there's a workaround so you don't actually need to restart: save your game, start any new level with different music, then reload your game, and music should be back.

If you'd like you can also try out the latest snapshot of Crispy by running the following:

brew unlink crispy-doom

brew install --HEAD crispy-doom

This will build Crispy Doom from the latest commit on master branch. If you want to switch back to the released Homebrew binary I think you just run:

brew unlink crispy-doom

brew link crispy-doom

Edited by mikeday

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MrHellstorm17 said:

Does Crispy support -complevel 9?

Nope, vanilla complevels only. It does support a few extra cosmetic things like sky transfers, but that's not enough to run a boom map.

Woof does support cl9 ('-complevel boom') and is probably the most similar port, since fabian maintains both.

Edited by plums

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 2:07 AM, MugMonster said:

today I randomly decided to take all the "official add-on" wads from the unity port and run them through Crispy.  the only one that gave me issues was Revolution!.  I've attached screenshots of what it looks like in crispy vs the unity port (and it looks correct in gzdoom as well, didnt test anything else).  I'm not using anything other than "-iwad doom2.wad -file 14.wad" so it shouldnt be the fault of conflicting mods, but as usual I have no idea

This should/might be fixed as of today by the latest commit to the master branch.

On 8/18/2023 at 11:12 PM, MrHellstorm17 said:

Does Crispy support -complevel 9?

No. 

Use Woof or DSDA-Doom for that.

In fact, these two source ports including Crispy Doom are recommended source ports if you want to submit your demos to DSDA Archive.

Both these source ports are 100% demo-compatible with Vanilla, Boom, MBF complevels.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way so that, when in the automap and follow mode is off, you can keep the mouse for moving the player and not have it move the automap around? The only way I could find to do this was to toggle the overlay on, which is okay-ish, but I'd prefer if the mouse never panned the automap at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I hope this is an acceptable place to ask about something related to the linux flatpak release of crispy-doom (I don't even know if you @fabian are the one maintaining that so, super sorry in advance!). Basically not a biggie, everything works great but I would like to know if there is a way to re-bind keys in crispy-strife and the other non-doom games (crispy-heretic, crispy-hexen, etc.), the same way it can be done through the crispy-doom setup tool? The way Flatpak seems to install stuff kinda makes it difficult to find config files too (at least for a total newb like me lmfao). Again so sorry if this is not an appropiate place to ask this, and tysm in advance!

(I'm on linux mint 21)

EDIT: Found a way to do this! I edited the crispy-setup launch shortcut properties so it runs the setup for the game I want to. Right there where it says "--command=crispy-doom-setup", just replace doom with whatever game you want to run the setup program for:

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=crispy-(doom/strife/hexen/heretic)-setup io.github.fabiangreffrath.Doom

:p

Edited by Nimlouth

7 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Half a year without a new official release. When?

GZDoom recently released 4.11.0 after 10 months. Patience is key.

15 hours ago, DaBigNerd said:

This thread is about crispy, I don't need gzdoom thanks

On 10/9/2023 at 12:22 PM, DaBigNerd said:

I'm just giving an example of how releases can take a while. And plus, why make a release when everything is working fine?

Im not sure if this is a good or right place to ask this, but i uninstalled VirtualMidiSynth from my computer, and now Crispy Doom doesn't detect the normal windows midi playback anymore. I can still use fluidsynth / OPL, but i can't just use the default windows midi player now. It only shows up as "???" when looking for midi devices.

(Every other source port works still, including Chocolate Doom, PRBoom+, GZDoom, etc. It's just a Crispy Doom thing. And re-installing doesnt work either, i tried.)

image_2023-10-10_203224492.png

1 hour ago, Tycitron said:

Every other source port works still, including Chocolate Doom, PRBoom+, GZDoom, etc. It's just a Crispy Doom thing. And re-installing doesnt work either, i tried.

Can you check if Woof! is working? It has a similar MIDI code.

1 hour ago, DaBigNerd said:

I'm just giving an example of how releases can take a while. And plus, why make a release when everything is working fine?

because I want colored marine corpses back Q_Q

6 hours ago, rfomin said:

Can you check if Woof! is working? It has a similar MIDI code.

Sorry, just checked and yep only OPL3 and Fluidsynth are selectable options. I also noticed while trying to mess with Fluidsynth it doesnt detect a midi device for some reason... i dont know if thats related but thought i'd mention it.