Doom Launcher - Doom frontend & database v3.7.4 (12/2023)

On 8/22/2023 at 4:29 PM, hobomaster22 said:

I don't think anything has changed, but that behavior is strange. When individual files are selected in an archive the selections are written to the database in that order and should come back the same.

I've experienced a similar thing. I've tried to load the Doom Zero widescreen wad after the main file but regardless of which order I select the files it always seems to load the widescreen file before the main file.

To solve the issue of order when both files are in the same zip, cut and paste the file you want to load last into another folder, then reinsert the file. Doom Launcher seems to load them by date, I've fixed this issue many times this way

3.7.3 Release
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases/tag/3.7.3

A lot more styling and DPI fixes this release.

Built in windows functionality is restored for the window and titlebar. It can now be resized/docked/anything else that Windows has built in. It took a lot of digging to find this magic Windows function. It doesn't give me full control on the styling of the titlebar but it allowed me change it from dark to light so it's the best trade off.

Among all the various fixes there is also the start of global profile functionality:
    When launching any file select the menu next to profiles and select 'New Global Profile'.
    Any additional files added and any settings will be applied to this profile.
    Global profiles are available in any file and are displayed at the top of the drop down list.
    Currently doesn't support selecting individual files.

Full details below:

Spoiler

Reverted titlebar back to default windows titlebar to restore resizing/docking/other default windows functionality with windows.
    Uses DWMWA_USE_IMMERSIVE_DARK_MODE. Tested on Windows 11, 10 and 8.1. Not tested on Windows 7 and using dark mode will likely still show the normal titlebar style.
Implemented simple global profile functionality.
    When launching any file select the menu next to profiles and select 'New Global Profile'.
    Any additional files added and any settings will be applied to this profile.
    Global profiles are available in any file and are displayed at the top of the drop down list.
    Currently doesn't support selecting individual files.
Added back tooltips to button groups.
Implemented dark theme styling to tooltips.
Implemented new check list control to match dark theme styling. Used for the search options drop down and visible views options.
Fixed tab rendering sizes for high DPI scaling.
Fixed missing dark theme styling for tag.
Fixed splash screen display for high DPI scaling.
Added System option to themes that automatically read the user's OS setting for light/dark mode.
Fixed issue if the last selected random play file was deleted.
Fixed checkbox rendering offsets for dpi scaling.
Fixed issue that caused the currently selected view title to be incorrect.
Icons for buttons are now scaled according to DPI settings.
Fixed issue that caused bad splitter values to be written when using the auto launch shortcut functionality.

15 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Tested on Windows 11, 10 and 8.1. Not tested on Windows 7 and using dark mode will likely still show the normal titlebar style.

Can confirm that everything works fine on Win7, but it has indeed reverted to showing the regular title bar in dark mode, as opposed to whatever that special bar was in 3.7.2. It doesn't bother me though, and I'm loving the dark mode all in all. Thank you!

I'm super excited for the Global Profiles feature. Thank you for all your hard work on this, adding features, and fixing/improving. It's really, really appreciated.

Edit: I just tried the Global Profile feature. It's frickin amazing. 

Edited by hatehatehatehate

Thanks for the update.

- The option to hide the tab headers are not working (It aways show the tab headers even if is set to "no" on settings) 

- In the bottom of the screen I can't see the screenshots, demos, etc. It only shows half of the tabs. Is it a bug or something with my screen resolution (1920x1080)?

DoomLauncher.png.72e64a4af4f227746478922d375dd307.png

Edited by Auron

9 hours ago, Auron said:

Thanks for the update.

- The option to hide the tab headers are not working (It aways show the tab headers even if is set to "no" on settings) 

- In the bottom of the screen I can't see the screenshots, demos, etc. It only shows half of the tabs. Is it a bug or something with my screen resolution (1920x1080)?

Turning off the tab headers seems to have been broken in the DPI fixes so I will work on that. You can resize that bottom area by dragging the splitter above the menu buttons.
splitter.png.ea54596c8a81fe34794821cdfb7a725f.png

4 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

You can resize that bottom area by dragging the splitter above the menu buttons.

Oh I got it! Thank you very much. I didn't notice the splitter button. XD

Edited by Auron

Is there a way to load my settings back? I lost power in my house this morning and now all my settings are gone? What should I do?

image.png.dfa1928e67aa9c42ae5f6e5fa6b36b6e.png

51 minutes ago, Auron said:

Is there a way to load my settings back? I lost power in my house this morning and now all my settings are gone? What should I do?

Doom Launcher saves backups of the database. If you are using the installed version it's installed in C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\DoomLauncher\Backup. Otherwise it would be in the Backup folder of your DoomLauncher folder.

In the app folder rename the DoomLauncher.sqlite file to something like DoomLauncher_save.sql to be safe. Then copy the latest backup and rename it to DoomLauncher.sqlite.

Hobomaster22 has been kindly helping me in private msg to transfer my old Doomlauncher database and collection of 300+ wads to the latest version, even fixing my DoomLauncher.sqlite from the old v2.6.0.0 version so it wouldn't give me an unhandled fault error on start up, but I continue to have issues that I decided to take here to this topic in the event others have similar issues and it may help them.  All the zipped wads, source ports, and iwads are in their appropriate directories but I get this whenever I try to launch a wad.  Any ideas? 

Desktop_2023_09_10_21_02_31_156.jpg

Edited by cacomonkey

8 hours ago, cacomonkey said:

Hobomaster22 has been kindly helping me in private msg to transfer my old Doomlauncher database and collection of 300+ wads to the latest version, even fixing my DoomLauncher.sqlite from the old v2.6.0.0 version so it wouldn't give me an unhandled fault error on start up, but I continue to have issues that I decided to take here to this topic in the event others have similar issues and it may help them.  All the zipped wads, source ports, and iwads are in their appropriate directories but I get this whenever I try to launch a wad.  Any ideas?

Go to the IWAD tab and select Doom 2. Then click 'Select Individual Files' and make sure DOOM2.wad is selected.

2 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Go to the IWAD tab and select Doom 2. Then click 'Select Individual Files' and make sure DOOM2.wad is selected.

I'm not worthy!  Hobomaster22 saves the day yet again.   It was obvious in the error msg what was wrong and what I needed to do but I got confused if it was the iwads or the pwads that needed to be checked.  It's working perfectly now that you steered me right.  Thx, man.

Just an unrelated observation:  I was playing a few minutes of a cpu-intensive Hexen mod called Hexen Curse of the Lost Gods with an equally old version of a source port (GZDoom 3.1.0 x64 that was configured with my old build of Doom Launcher) and noticed the framerates were dire, going from my normal 120 FPS to around 30.  So I updated to the latest build of GZDoom 4.10 x64 and voila!  Right back up where it belongs.  Moral of the story - always use the latest build of a source port.  I'm frequently reluctant to upgrade any useful program I have because of the Mad God Bloat but in the case of source ports you gotta stay current.  Just gotta.

41 minutes ago, cacomonkey said:

Just an unrelated observation:  I was playing a few minutes of a cpu-intensive Hexen mod called Hexen Curse of the Lost Gods with an equally old version of a source port (GZDoom 3.1.0 x64 that was configured with my old build of Doom Launcher) and noticed the framerates were dire, going from my normal 120 FPS to around 30.  So I updated to the latest build of GZDoom 4.10 x64 and voila!  Right back up where it belongs.  Moral of the story - always use the latest build of a source port.  I'm frequently reluctant to upgrade any useful program I have because of the Mad God Bloat but in the case of source ports you gotta stay current.  Just gotta.

One really nice thing about DoomLauncher that I routinely leverage is the ability to maintain not just different source ports, but different versions of source ports.  Some WAD files may not run in newer gzDoom versions, or may require specific versions in order to run properly.  So simply create a new source port using a specific version and you can easily switch between ports/versions when you need to launch a WAD.

41 minutes ago, cacomonkey said:

I'm not worthy!  Hobomaster22 saves the day yet again.   It was obvious in the error msg what was wrong and what I needed to do but I got confused if it was the iwads or the pwads that needed to be checked.  It's working perfectly now that you steered me right.  Thx, man.

Frankly, none of us are worthy of the support we get from hobomaster, and are SO fortunate to be using the best Doom launcher/library manager there is.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a humble feature request for statistics in more ports like eternity and doom retro. Also, your launcher is better than steam, you're a hero. This app is incredible, it's turned my desktop cluttered with like 13 folders with different doom installs and wad folders into a clean way to just run games with a nice ux. (I hope it works on linux, because if it does, you'd be a superhero, but I'm not sure how friendly .NET is with non-windows operating systems. Is it wpf?)

Edited by BarbarianGrunge

15 hours ago, BarbarianGrunge said:

Just a humble feature request for statistics in more ports like eternity and doom retro. Also, your launcher is better than steam, you're a hero. This app is incredible, it's turned my desktop cluttered with like 13 folders with different doom installs and wad folders into a clean way to just run games with a nice ux. (I hope it works on linux, because if it does, you'd be a superhero, but I'm not sure how friendly .NET is with non-windows operating systems. Is it wpf?) 

Thanks for the kind words. As far as I know, Doom Launcher will unfortunately not work on Linux because it was developed using the .NET Framework for Windows. As for stats, Eternity and doom retro would need to support some sort of statistics output for Doom Launcher to read. If you click the more info link next to save statistics, it lists the ports that are supported and the parameters it uses. If a port has a statistics output that Doom Launcher doesn't know about, I would be happy to add it.

• 3 weeks later...

Loving Doom Launcher!

Would it be possible to have a temporary text file generated containing the below:

Sourceport:

Iwad: 

Pwad1:

Pwad2:

Pwad3:

etc

Ideally this would be specific to the game-session, so if the iwad and pwads change then this list would be updated to what is current.

There's the temp folder which contains copies of the all wads which have been used in a single session, but they accumulate rather than refresh whenever a new combo of iwad/pwad is loaded. A self-refreshing txt file separated by lines would be amazing. 

My idea is that this could be read by something like Streamerbot to make a simple !wads command in streams so people can see what is being used during the stream

Edited by CravenCoyote

On 10/22/2023 at 2:02 PM, CravenCoyote said:

Loving Doom Launcher!

Would it be possible to have a temporary text file generated containing the below:

Sourceport:

Iwad: 

Pwad1:

Pwad2:

Pwad3:

etc

Ideally this would be specific to the game-session, so if the iwad and pwads change then this list would be updated to what is current.

There's the temp folder which contains copies of the all wads which have been used in a single session, but they accumulate rather than refresh whenever a new combo of iwad/pwad is loaded. A self-refreshing txt file separated by lines would be amazing. 

My idea is that this could be read by something like Streamerbot to make a simple !wads command in streams so people can see what is being used during the stream

Yeah, I think I can dump out a text file for the next release.

Edited by hobomaster22

49 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

Yeah, I think I can dump out a text file for the next release.

Thank you so much, this would be amazing!

Whether they're comma separated, line separated, or just a long list with spaces between them, it'd be super appreciated.

Thanks again, can't tell you how useful this would be!

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way to add thumbnails to wads that don't have one? I'm playing memento mori and the launcher isn't finding the wad on idgames so it won't show any thumbnail and it is starting to bug me. I'm trying to add the intermission screen as the thumbnail but i can't find the option.

11 minutes ago, danidf96 said:

Is there any way to add thumbnails to wads that don't have one? I'm playing memento mori and the launcher isn't finding the wad on idgames so it won't show any thumbnail and it is starting to bug me. I'm trying to add the intermission screen as the thumbnail but i can't find the option.

You just need to add a screenshot. On the bottom of Doom Launcher, click "Add File" and select your image you want to be the thumbnail. It will use the first screenshot you have as a thumbnail.

vUYIJed.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 4:26 AM, 3saster said:

I have fixed (probably) both bugs with this file that I mentioned here:

On 7/1/2022 at 12:58 AM, Deil said:

First, if you saved manually on last level, FinalLevelStats will end the level right after reloading this save, so you either have to complete the final level without save-loading, or you have to restart Doom since you can load the save from main menu fine.

Second, it's can't be used with "hub" wads, where you can freely move between levels back and forth. It probably uses the same events. On the other hand it saves stats without FinalLevelStats perfectly fine. Example: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hellfact

Now it's possible to save-load in last level, and it won't restart the hub levels anymore.

FinalLevelStats_fix.zip

Edited by Deil

Is there a way to sort WADs in tags alphabetically or otherwise? Nvm, I just had to sort by title.

Edited by Dweller Dark
Correction

4 hours ago, Deil said:

I have fixed (probably) both bugs with this file that I mentioned here:

Now it's possible to save-load in last level, and it won't restart the hub levels anymore.

FinalLevelStats_fix.zip

You don't even need extra files in GZDoom to record the final level stats, just get to the end of the map (or kill the boss if E2M8/E3M8), open the console and type changemap map30/changemap e1m8/changemap e2m8/changemap e3m8/changemap e4m8 or whatever the final level is if nonstandard, and the level will exit and then repeat, creating an autosave for the stats.

Found it! so glad there is a program which tracks and keep record of completion of every IWAD or custom WADS played...

I was working with the scorecard spreadsheet file but it was awkward in the end,

so now it's going to be automatically recorded and tracked.

Awesome... I hope to give the initial feedback soon...

I just downloaded this launcher and it is awesome. It feels a lot more organized and overall nicer than the launcher I was already using (AceCorp Launcher). Being able to just select the mods I want to use instead of having to make pre-sets or manually add mods I want to use. 

Edited by OnionTaco22

3.7.4 Release

Spoiler

Added call to set form to the front when adding files. Previously drag and drop would leave other windows focused causing Doom Launcher to be hidden.
Fixed spacing on file management select dialog.
Included checks for mapinfo.* and zmapinfo.* and read support reading multiple mapinfos.
Fixed crash for getting the next tile when changing pages or using arrow keys.
Fixed issues with rar/7zip transformations if the file existed. Show error on transformation to zip failure instead of crash.
Fixed database update handling for source ports when updating from a really old version.
Fixed tooltip names for export and export all buttons.
Cleaned up styling in screenshot edit form.
Fixed icon buttons to use disabled color from theme.
Fixed tooltips for button groups.
Fixed double click to work the first time in screenshots tab if screenshot is not selected.
Updated tab control to support hiding headers from configuration.

Added option to disable tooltip.
Added option to control tile image size.
Update nugget to support levelstat and loadgame.
Added VKDoom.
Added rar and 7z to add file dialog.
Updated default message boxes to use styling to match dark mode.
Added default tile images for iwads. If a file has no screenshots the appropriate default iwad image will be used once an iwad is selected.
Source port name will only be automatically changed if empty when selecting new location.