Share Your Sprites!

2 hours ago, Sonik.o.fan said:

Vertically spinning meatball
because i can
ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker.gif.2a89513f4f59ffe5ad09830b0231830d.gif

This is great! Would make a great knock-back effect, even moreso with full rotations that is ;)

On 12/22/2023 at 2:07 AM, Robo_Cola said:

I really like the top left imp you did.
This probably wasn't your intended purpose for it, but I think it would look perfect as a statue (specifically standing on a COL2A0 column re-palette to fit)

I already went ahead with second variant in my monster pack, but now that you pointed it out it does look like slightly mossy statue. Here are few sprites in case someone wants to use it as decor:

stone.png.3a23cab14684efac43b69e4d41adb5a3.png

On 12/24/2023 at 9:44 PM, ShallowB said:

I've been really unsatisfied with the quality of some of the frankensprites I've been making, not to mention how long they take.

Here's the results of about three days of effort. Still pretty rough, but I'm pretty chuffed with this as the first thing I've ever modeled, rigged, and rendered. And this is straight out of Blender without any cleanup or anything!  Pretty sure this is gonna be a game changer with just a little more work.

EDIT:

spinguy.gif.3d6ade8035287d86eedbd4727b0b7212.gif

What tutorials have you watched? I always knew that either blender or some 2D animation program is my only hope of ever escaping frankensprite hell and I tried getting into it a few times but I always bounce off.

8 hours ago, LukeGaming said:

What tutorials have you watched?

Aw man I wish there was something specific.  I just kind of bashed my brain into Blender for a couple of days and Googled "How do I..." every time I got stuck.  Which happened a lot.  I took some inspiration from @Nash's work, but as far as I know he's never written a guide or anything, so I was just looking at WIP pics he's posted and trying to copy what he did.  Really helpful for stuff like remembering to consider Doom's tall pixels and texturing in Doom pallet directly in Blender to make exporting easier.  Speaking of which, I used @Dieting Hippo's addon to do the actual export, although I had to mess with the lighting myself a bit because I don't think it completely works in newer versions of Blender or perhaps I'm just not doing it right:

I have the model all rigged up and everything, but I still haven't learned how to actually animate him yet which is why I've only rendered him standing so far. So that will be the next step, and then hopefully I can swap out his texture, head, gun, and other accessories, and easily make sprite sheets for various human-style enemies! I'm sure someone starting out with more Blender knowledge than me could knock this out in an afternoon but uh unfortunately I am just me.

Edited by ShallowB

@ShallowB Thanks for the mention! I updated it about 6 months ago and just remembered to update the Doomworld thread thanks to this. The thread's open to troubleshooting if you're hitting any issues, the latest version has been tested up to 3.6 and I think I recall it working OK on the latest (but do not hold me to that).

9 hours ago, ShallowB said:

Aw man I wish there was something specific.  I just kind of bashed my brain into Blender for a couple of days and Googled "How do I..." every time I got stuck.  Which happened a lot.  I took some inspiration from @Nash's work, but as far as I know he's never written a guide or anything, so I was just looking at WIP pics he's posted and trying to copy what he did.  Really helpful for stuff like remembering to consider Doom's tall pixels and texturing in Doom pallet directly in Blender to make exporting easier.  Speaking of which, I used @Dieting Hippo's addon to do the actual export, although I had to mess with the lighting myself a bit because I don't think it completely works in newer versions of Blender or perhaps I'm just not doing it right:

I have the model all rigged up and everything, but I still haven't learned how to actually animate him yet which is why I've only rendered him standing so far. So that will be the next step, and then hopefully I can swap out his texture, head, gun, and other accessories, and easily make sprite sheets for various human-style enemies! I'm sure someone starting out with more Blender knowledge than me could knock this out in an afternoon but uh unfortunately I am just me.

Does your model have rig? If not, add it ASAP.

On 12/24/2023 at 10:44 PM, ShallowB said:

I've been really unsatisfied with the quality of some of the frankensprites I've been making, not to mention how long they take.

So like a fucking idiot I went and learned Blender.

Here's the results of about three days of effort. Still pretty rough, but I'm pretty chuffed with this as the first thing I've ever modeled, rigged, and rendered. And this is straight out of Blender without any cleanup or anything!  Pretty sure this is gonna be a game changer with just a little more work.

DUDESPRITE.gif.84984860a3fb57c307f48ad74d5489a8.gif

EDIT:

spinguy.gif.3d6ade8035287d86eedbd4727b0b7212.gif

Okay, I tinkered with the export settings and the model a little and now he's looking much nicer, and comes out scaled almost perfectly for Doom. Still have to adjust things a little because I think Blender's lighting is screwing with Doom's palette a bit, and the texture could really use some work.  Not to mention I've clearly got his helmet all wrong, or at least it looks wrong after scaling.

Here is a screenshot of the raw model in Blender:

doomguyrender.png.1f689656dee5376a44baa77896d24703.png

Pretty basic, but it's about all I'm capable of at the moment. Luckily that's about all you need for sprites this small!

This is really great news ! Hopefully once you finish it you'll make it public so making new Doomguy sprites doesn't require drawing everything.

On 12/26/2023 at 7:44 AM, ThrashFanbert94 said:

so it be like strife style but doom leaning?

I'm pretty sure the intention is for it to be fully Doom styled.

12 minutes ago, Grieferus said:

Does your model have rig? If not, add it ASAP.

He said it does have a skeleton, he just doesn't know how to animate it. I did link him a video guide on basic keyframe animation though on the ZDoom Discord.

10 hours ago, Dieting Hippo said:

if you're hitting any issues, the latest version has been tested up to 3.6 and I think I recall it working OK on the latest (but do not hold me to that).

Thanks! It really simplified getting everything exported as sprites! Like I said, I’m not terribly knowledgeable about Blender, so any issues I’m having could just as easily be my own mistakes.  Mainly I was having some trouble with the lighting, so I ended up setting up my own lights which are probably not optimal.  I didn’t want to necro the thread, but if it’s newly updated, I’ll probably post updates and questions there instead of here!

On 12/29/2023 at 10:50 AM, Cascade said:

Funny zombie (made from scratch)
Axolotl2.gif.58ae1ba1c056df07c7219d808b9e2557.gif

This is outstanding! Like doom4's unwilling zombies (or 'hell-zombie' in Eternal's vernacular) should a full spriteset be expected in the future? 

Would look great alongside the edit of amuscaria's wight I did (in these colours as a possessed). very similar design but as I say, would be great as a hell themed fodder enemy!

Fantastic work.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:10 PM, Kan3 said:

Going to share my attempt at making a critter

x6ttp8N.png

It is so cute!!! the little face is awesome and the texture of the fur and the bloody teeth are so gritty it looks digitized. very neat

5 hours ago, _sink said:

It is so cute!!! the little face is awesome and the texture of the fur and the bloody teeth are so gritty it looks digitized. very neat

Thank you!

I directly took the critter from the 4th movie poster x)

zlIzTCg.jpg

Here's my first good looking Weapon sprite set as my first time posting on here (I think I dont have a great memory)

LewisGun.zip

LWGFA0.pngLWGFB0.pngLWGFC0.png

LWGFD0.pngLWGNA0.pngLWSAP0.png
Feel Free to use just give me credits

Edited by Mach 7

On 12/28/2023 at 8:10 AM, Kan3 said:

Going to share my attempt at making a critter

x6ttp8N.png

Walk, leap and scratch frames are basically done, but still I'm having a really hard time with rotations T_T 

It looks at least as good as the movies. Maybe Sonik.o.fan can help you with the rotations. 

Sharing the sprite sheet of the new "weapon" I'm making, based on the sprites from Medieval Doom and the Baphomet Heart from Realm667

NKVhg8n.png

It needs some polishing, especially in the "gonna eat this heart" frames (close up at the bottom), but I'm cool with it in game

Posted (edited)

Gotta figure out a better way to make this work.
Its half way to decent.

Poke.gif.2911630cf04e2d449d53687a15f02eb4.gif

Delayed Sneaky post.
summonable ghost designed to be my own version of the hexen wraiths.
Turned out pretty good for a rough draft.
1694172023_poisonskyull.png.1bf7c81b61a78d2c17a7a63a518f6c84.png

Edited by Desfar

Spoiler

InShot_20240101_192257241.png.891df0ec50bf86bce9a4f4b988f0492a.png

Spoiler

I've been working on a f-zero simulator now called F-DOOM (fast doom) and this dood constantly reminds you to not reach the core in the five maps...just a sprite I thought was funny, my textures are dope original, this is cutting and pastin..but I like the voice I gave him which says "bro bro BRO!"

22 hours ago, Desfar said:

Gotta figure out a better way to make this work.
Its half way to decent.

Poke.gif.2911630cf04e2d449d53687a15f02eb4.gif

Could try making the whole hand glow on cast, and exaggerate the finger spark a bit more.

All I can tell you is to do more of what you're doing, your weapon sprites are always amazing