Share Your Sprites!

11 hours ago, NeoWorm said:

It would be probably nice to have a custom sprite database somewhere. With credits and search etc. Not that I can do it or manage it.

Hey guys, I started a thread strictly for posting finished spritesheets labeled "The Menagerie".  If you're interested in having your work all in one easy to browse place, consider uploading there.

It's meant as a compliment to this thread, strictly for stuff you don't mind other people using.  Take a look if you're interested, if we get enough participation I think it could be a pretty cool thing, nah?

Edited by Burgish

A forum thread isn't a good solution, unfortunately. People who see the thread may post their own art, but there's no guarantee they'll keep it up to date, and there's no way to edit other folks' posts to keep it up to date either (unless you're a moderator :P ) -- There needs to be a way to curate sprites made by other people (e.g. go through this thread and sort and tag things), else the concept is DOA.

There's also no tagging and limited searching -- once page 2 gets hit, it's not really much better for end users (people searching for sprites to use) than trying to poke through this thread, unfortunately.

I'm not sure offhand what websites or off the shelf solutions there are for this, but the concept is sound enough to maybe start poking some folks who have web dev skills and get something made.

That reminds me: someone on /vr/ came up with "wadsup" which was like a database for wads using a "booru" sort of format with tags.

Not sure if DW allows this link but here's an example: http://clovr.xyz/wadsup/doku.php?id=memento_mori

I assume a similar format could work for any sort of resources?

I think even Realm667 itself could benefit from something in this vein.

Ok. UDB is f$#^% with my pistol-replacement-aka-assault rifle. It work well when playing but it doesn't use my mods for the pistol during editing. Hope this will help ward-off the bug...

TARPA0.png

Ideal would be something that support tagging, dependencies (this monster is based of this monster), expansions (I made these new frames for this monster) and both sprite sheets and cut graphics in pk3/wads.

boneboiis.png.acdec34eb5f60c5b9241f2e9279ce29f.png
Anyone got feedback on what can be done to make these guys look a bit more chonky?
The torso looks decent as both a hollow ribcage AND as a shadow filled segment.
The legs look a tad too skinny, but at the same time they are bones and I'm adverse to slapping meat on there like the revenant pants.
Arms and blades will be augmented as the sprite gets further along.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:28 PM, Xaser said:

I'm not sure offhand what websites or off the shelf solutions there are for this, but the concept is sound enough to maybe start poking some folks who have web dev skills and get something made.

The boorus I've seen (example 1, 2) support tagging/searching and basic parent/child relationships, and have code on GitHub (danbooru, moebooru), so it may be a good place to start.

2 hours ago, Desfar said:

Anyone got feedback on what can be done to make these guys look a bit more chonky?

I would leave the arms and legs spindly, maybe even make them longer.  If you're looking to beef er up, I'd add to the head.  That imbalance causes dissonance with natural forms, and should make them creepier and more monstrous looking.  Maybe oversize the lower jaw with big teeth, or add some horn-style protrusions around the edges dino-style.

1 hour ago, Craneo said:

Just a concept based on one of the covers from the Doom novels, no plans to finish it.

Credits to Id Software, 3D Realms, JoeyTD

Gargantua.png.72b3650d67294c07c79b4624412c285f.png

Original:

Hide contents

image.png.13988dba008bc1004c1c2ed393661eb2.png

Shit, now I want to read that. 

The sprite looks sick! 

Edited by NecrumWarrior

2 hours ago, Craneo said:

Just a concept based on one of the covers from the Doom novels, no plans to finish it.

Credits to Id Software, 3D Realms, JoeyTD

Gargantua.png.72b3650d67294c07c79b4624412c285f.png

Original:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.13988dba008bc1004c1c2ed393661eb2.png

Are the old Doom novels any good? The ones from Doom 3 are pretty meh. 

On 2/1/2024 at 6:28 PM, Xaser said:

A forum thread isn't a good solution, unfortunately. People who see the thread may post their own art, but there's no guarantee they'll keep it up to date, and there's no way to edit other folks' posts to keep it up to date either (unless you're a moderator :P ) -- There needs to be a way to curate sprites made by other people (e.g. go through this thread and sort and tag things), else the concept is DOA.

There's also no tagging and limited searching -- once page 2 gets hit, it's not really much better for end users (people searching for sprites to use) than trying to poke through this thread, unfortunately.

On 2/1/2024 at 5:42 PM, Burgish said:

Hey guys, I started a thread strictly for posting finished spritesheets labeled "The Menagerie".  If you're interested in having your work all in one easy to browse place, consider uploading there.

It's meant as a compliment to this thread, strictly for stuff you don't mind other people using.  Take a look if you're interested, if we get enough participation I think it could be a pretty cool thing, nah?

So I thought about the idea of a searchable database (stuff won't get burried) and I have a partial solution. I tried doing this myself but the site is a bit confusing to use. What if we were to use a Ragic archive? People would send spritesheets and stuff to whoever has the archive, they upload the stuff, and the archive is searchable? There could even be a spot for stuff that is complete with code (such as some of my stuff that I eventually need to finish and put on my repro). There could also be a spot for unfinished/abandoned projects that people can pick up if they want.

Edited by ak47fu2

16 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

I read first two (the image is from third I think).
First one is actually quite cute, you can even recognise some levels and secrets and characters are basic but enjoyable.
Second one is has a mormon army doing guerrilla warfare against aliens... so yeah...

On 2/3/2024 at 5:06 AM, Cascade said:

Freedoom saw (free to use just credit))
saw3.png.e932ef19e16594cad53d8ad6c573618a.png

That's a lovely sprite! Any chance of a 'clean' variant in the future?

Edited by osjclatchford

Revisiting the first major thing I made.
It was a direct 3d render of a 3d model, and had a few issues with it.
And in addition it also lacked elements of artistic flair which I hope I have developed over my time here.
This one already has more charm to it than prior ones, in addition to have a more flat footing.

GOLWA1.png.191a56af4bbe9136ea4de72529068d50.pngNew(er)               GOLWA1.png.5fe1663703c6adcf223469fe64fbe313.pngOld

Feet are now cleanly against the floor, and the highlights will work better (i darkened too many elements on my original work)

CorpseSpin.gif.041c574b4cbf8dc9fbc67eb4b379c581.gif
This is gonna be a very slow project, as i gotta figure out how to minimize the frames several animations use. the walk cycle alone goes from A thru O.

Edited by Desfar

50 minutes ago, Desfar said:

GOLWA1.png.191a56af4bbe9136ea4de72529068d50.pngNew(er)               GOLWA1.png.5fe1663703c6adcf223469fe64fbe313.pngOld

Jesus Christ!  That thing is horrible!  I love it!

On 2/2/2024 at 6:09 PM, Desfar said:

The torso looks decent as both a hollow ribcage AND as a shadow filled segment.
The legs look a tad too skinny, but at the same time they are bones and I'm adverse to slapping meat on there like the revenant pants.
Arms and blades will be augmented as the sprite gets further along.

It's a pretty cool looking monster. Kind of reminds me of the Kleer Skeletons from Serious Sam. If you want to make it more "chonky," I think maybe adding some horns to the skull, almost like how the Lost Soul looks (maybe use the Lost Soul sprites minus the flames). I think it might give this creature a cool look as well as a menacing aura. Keep up the good work :)

-Alando1

On 2/4/2024 at 8:45 AM, NaliSeed said:

They're not great, but there is some Kitsch value to them. The audiobooks are on YouTube.

2 hours ago, LukeGaming said:

Zombieman-cacodemon

-snip-

Alternate title: Cacocart :D

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2768351

Damn it! That Space Marine Sword again!

No, Craneo, there are no complaints about you: The Sprite has been perfectly redone so that there are no associations with "W40K"! Really cool!

I just don't know about others, but I don't like that Carrot replaced the Chainsaw with this Weapon in "CVP". Is it unusual? If Carrot ever updates the Mod, then let him insert this Sprite!

...Yeah...

1583189145_Jerrymugshot.png.918bcae8955a2401f5ac47b69a0ef689.png

...So I was pretty bored and I did a "Wheel of Doom" thing, adding a bunch of fnf oc's from "nowheresville" that I like (I genuely like them, so don't judge me pliz), the one who would got five result, that would be the one who would win, and you can see who won.

For now he has a mugshot, but when I end with another simple project of mine, I will make a proper spritesheet of Jerry (the character on the picture).

Spoiler

Here's his original ref:

2007844196_Jerry(colorbymemoryedition).png.6cd274b89cbaf060c0f332499b8b5b6c.png