The Ultimate Doom II : Doom II levels reimagined

• 2 months later...

So what maps are left now?

Saves from previous versions don't work so i think i'm gonna wait until this awesome megawad is finished.

Edited by TasAcri

• 2 weeks later...

Remaining Maps 21, 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32

"Map 21 should be released..."

SOON_tm (8 months later)

Edited by StalkerZHS

Progress is slow as I'm too busy with my job and other stuff + feeling rather uninspired. Progress on Map21 was halted as I ended up making the level a bit too large and ran outta ideas, happens. At least work on Map23 started and thus far roughly 1/3rd of the level's complete and I'm satisfied with how it's shaping up thus far. Several old maps received some minor touchups and bugfixes. The project is not dead but I just haven't been in the best mood and didn't have enough time to properly focus on it. I'll bump the thread once another map is complete, but right now I just don't have enough new content to brag about. Some screenshots of Map23 will show up once I'm done polishing enough of what's already been done. It should be noted that map24 is actually complete, but one of my friends who made it requested that I touch the level up for them and I just didn't get to properly work on it just yet. Sorry for the long wait but doom's been a very low priority for me this year, those are pretty difficult times, but once I feel the drive to get back into doom mapping, I promise to finish this mapset as soon as I can, already put too much effort into it for this to simply go to waste. I'd just like to thank Guardsoul for being very  inspiring and helping me with completing this project. Please for the time being follow his work and projects while waiting for this giant mess to be done. I'll provide an update whenever it's ready. xP

27 minutes ago, Gardevoir said:

EDIT: First post had a pretty outdated download link. Current version is 3.1.

What's the difference with version 3.0? 3.1 has almost the same file size.

1 minute ago, TasAcri said:

What's the difference with version 3.0? 3.1 has almost the same file size.

Possibly just some very minor hotfixes. The point is the first post had version 2.9 attached and I preferred to send the most recent version I had prepared.

• 2 months later...

Very good, although i have 1 issue, the difficulty, there is already a cacodemon in the second map 

I've played the first 2 maps and really like their clean look, though they are quite large and have a lot of monsters, especially Map02. Not a really big complaint, though, because the action is good and the secrets are very cool. I also like the atmosphere, which really captures the Doom 2 mood through all those gritty textures.

My only real complaint is that both maps have some fairly meaty enemies, and Map02 has a lot of them, but I'm walking around with 200 bullets and no chaingun. I'm guessing that you want to follow the IWAD weapons progression, but it gets to be a bit much with so many Cacos and Shotgunners, though I did like the fight against the Baron to grab the SSG quite a bit.

I'm currently playing UV continuous for a (sort of) relaxing playthrough. Not sure I'll ever go back to playtest the early maps after you get a full megawad finished, but a pretty good chance I'll test the maps that aren't in this version, which all seem to be in E3.

I played Map03 today and found it to be a very pleasant experience. GZDoom showed 351 monsters on UV, but even so, the map was pretty easy, even relaxing, As expected, we finally get the Chaingun here, and the Chaingunners are mostly responsible for my first death, since I found myself in a crossfire in the water and couldn't quite get out in time.

I think you did a great job expanding the basic Gauntlet structure and again, somewhat to my surprise, the fairly low-detail look of Doom 2, as you do it, looks really good at a higher scale. It gave me a sense of being at home.

For the second map in a row, I managed to UV-Max it. The secrets were fun and somewhat easier in this map than the first two. The fights were maybe a bit tame, but I'm sure nastier stuff is to come, so no biggie. I also saw evidence that continuous play is either intended, or that you're putting in items especially for continuers. In this case, I found a cell-charge pack, in a map with no cell weapons.

The final fight was, IMO, a bit mechanistic and way too easy. Even though the large arena was visually impressive, the combat went on too long, IMO, and perhaps you could have more columns lower at once, and be careful to minimize monster infighting by choosing the monster types with that goal in mind. Really, the best fight of the bunch was the very first one. After that, it was basically a lot of clean-up. All that said, I still enjoyed it, and I like the way this map looped around on itself, too.

I'll try to maintain my map-a-day pace. Cheers.

Is there a guide anywhere for this wad? I'd like to know where the secrets are, i never play the next level unless all secrets are found but in map 6 there's 1 secret i haven't found for a long time now and i'm stuck.

So I have found myself playing 5 or 6 different "remade/reimagined" original levels recently and really been enjoying the experience of this fake nostalgia trip. Well lo and behold people have brought this wad back up with recent posts and it couldnt have worked out better for me. I am LOVING every second of these levels. I had stated in a post for a wad named "Based Refeuling" that I wished someone would make an entire set of these levels and you sir had already done it years ago. I just finished Tricks and Traps and every one of these levels goes above and beyond what I was looking for. I cant wait to see all the rest but I already want to go back and replay from the start. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! for premptively knowing exactly what I desired to play and taking the time to so maticuosly craft the perfect maps to satisfy my needs. Truely a top notch class act youve created. Thanks again.

only played map 01 so far but... damn... if the other maps are as good as the first then this will be a super cool map set

edit

played 2 and 3 now as well... "oddly familiar" but better... cant figure out how to get blue key in map 3 though

Edited by Amiga Angel

Map04 is my favorite so far. I always loved The Focus, and you captured the coolest parts of it, such as the light-switch dynamic, and amped-up the size. Your layout is excellent, the big scale is beautifully executed, and the combat is the fiercest so far, good enough to kill me 3 times, IIRC. Keep in mind that I'm a terrible player, but I play on UV anyway. ;D

I missed one of the secrets this time, and a couple monsters, too. I really like your take on the ending. Great job all around.

@Amiga Angel - Love your nick! Which reminds me that I look forward to playing Breathless on my A500 Mini. And maybe an Amiga Doom port, too.

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

Map04 is my favorite so far. I always loved The Focus, and you captured the coolest parts of it, such as the light-switch dynamic, and amped-up the size. Your layout is excellent, the big scale is beautifully executed, and the combat is the fiercest so far, good enough to kill me 3 times, IIRC. Keep in mind that I'm a terrible player, but I play on UV anyway. ;D

I missed one of the secrets this time, and a couple monsters, too. I really like your take on the ending. Great job all around.

@Amiga Angel - Love your nick! Which reminds me that I look forward to playing Breathless on my A500 Mini. And maybe an Amiga Doom port, too.

Thanks! :)

I havent even tried any of the doom like games on amiga yet... but I think I might do that soon.

Edited by Amiga Angel

This quickly became one of my favorite wads ever. The fake nostalgia coupled with the fact that everything else hits so exactly dead center of what I dig. The size of the lvls, the exploration, the secret hunting, the over packing of combat, most of it just non stop incadental but with a definative ramp up of difficulty that starts throwing in set piece arena style and culminates in what I almost call abject slaughter. I just really want more and I dont know if I'll ever be able to play stock Doom 2 again. This wad gave me feels like I havnt experienced since the 90s when I first encountered the game and fell in love learning the lvls. I do have a couple of questions though. EXACTLY HOW MANY LEVELS ARE THERE? I played through lvl 20 with 2 secret lvls but i could have sworn i saw talk about up to lvl 25 being completed in the past posts. IS THERE STILL ANY PLAN ON COMPLETING ALL 32 LEVELS? this had to be a massive undertaking to create and the end maps have got to be the most work and hardest to build so I can understand the delay but I have my fingers crossed. THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS!

• 1 month later...

Is there a walk-through anywhere for these levels? I'm trying to go for 100% secrets but in some maps i can't find them even when using full map and no-clip cheats.

In Twilight Descends i found all keys and the secret door but i'm still missing a secret and one obvious door in the UAC boxes room that i can't find how it opens. I scanned the whole map with no-clip and still can't see anything.

I also found a bug in Industrial Zone, in the room behind the blue key door, it's possible to get trapped here:

Screenshot_Doom_20230512_100114.png

Edited by TasAcri

• 3 weeks later...

Great wad!

Does something similar exist for Plutonia?

Also MAP13 deserves to be it's own separate wad.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 8:03 AM, Guardsoul said:

Allow me! My latest contribution for the project: Map 28! (All areas shown here are from the very beginning of the map, lava and crackle coming later!)

01WQEyI.png

4Ch948P.png

zattFBV.png

nPdqRhg.png

NgDbn0T.png

KrpRdZJ.png

6DM2a9u.png

what map is this in the latest version?  For some reason after map 26 I think , it just reverts to regular doom 2, starting with map Monster Condo.  I can't find this map and I'd love to play it it looks amazing

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Gardevoir said:

Map23 is progressing smoothly, layouts for 24 and 27 are pretty much done and just need a lot of polish...

Then 29, 30 and 32 are all that's left. I've been waiting since 2015 for the BEST DOOM 2 REMAKE OF ALL TIME

On 9/1/2023 at 8:38 PM, Gardevoir said:

Hello, long time no see. Map21: Nirvana is finally complete, I've been taking a long break from doom mapping to focus on other things and my mental health isn't in good shape, sadly I have not made much progress on this for people who are still following this project. I am still working on it though, it will be done eventually. Map23 is progressing smoothly, layouts for 24 and 27 are pretty much done and just need a lot of polish. I did some more polish for previously complete levels and did more bugfixing (map15 softlocks are finally gone). Therefore, here's the download link, you can now play the wad from maps 01 to 22 without any holes in between levels!

[Download] (Version 3.2)

Thank you for holding on to this project for so long! I hope your mental health improves, mental issues are a real rock tied to the neck, especially when working on a long-term project like UD2.

I'll be glad to try your work of art in Nugget Doom.

Played and loved level 21! And as a bonus I found out lvl 22 and lvl 25 are complete and included in the wad. I had previously played through map 20 and thought it ended there. Ive got 2 more maps to play, yay me. Thanks again for sharing this amazing and massive undertaking. It truely is one of the absolute best wads ever created!

• 4 months later...