what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

2 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I'm loving those gold 'veins'. Black and gold is always a nice combo.

Thanks! You can't see it in the screenshots but at the start of the final fight the gold veins come to life and light beams travel through them and put on quite the light show

1 minute ago, Arrowhead said:

Havok DM 3: MAP05: Frag District:

Finished a new one! I may still change some stuff up still!

3ALS0Po.png

NJOO1Sx.png

XjgxLdj.png

:)

use of 3d floor stacking is top notch, very well done!

4 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

Havok DM 3: MAP05: Frag District:

Finished a new one! I may still change some stuff up still!

3ALS0Po.png

NJOO1Sx.png

XjgxLdj.png

How do you manage to make such large maps every day?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, K_Doom said:

How do you manage to make such large maps every day?

I think it comes down to mainly 7 things:

1) Having too much free time (lol)

2) Being 'efficient' w/ that time

3) Having made nearly 300 total (including currently unreleased) maps, you kind of get things down to a certain 'workflow' after a while.

4) DM/CTF seems to - on average, take less time to make a functional level than it does to make an SP level of a similar size - this is different for everybody, it's just what I've noticed.

5) How familiar I am w/ the texture pack. I can make an Otex1.1 map faster than say, this last map - as I'm super familiar w/ it after making a ton of levels w/ it.

6) Generally, I am considered a fast mapper - I can have a functional (and hopefully fun) DM map made from scratch in about 3.5-6 hours' total time.

7) A lot of my mapping is done without prior planning - I just start laying down lines. MP is more lenient w/ this than SP.

I started mapping in February 2021, and have made roughly 300 since, (published 210 so far, about to release 32 more 3 days from now) so I think that roughly on average one every 3-3.5 days?

There have been periods where I take breaks, but yeah after dozens and dozens of levels, you kind of get 'in the zone' easier.

Edited by Arrowhead

2 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I think it comes down to mainly 7 things:

1) Having too much free time (lol)

2) Being 'efficient' w/ that time

3) Having made nearly 300 total (including currently unreleased) maps, you kind of get things down to a certain 'workflow' after a while.

4) DM/CTF seems to - on average, take less time to make a functional level than it does to make an SP level of a similar size - this is different for everybody, it's just what I've noticed.

5) How familiar I am w/ the texture pack. I can make an Otex1.1 map faster than say, this last map - as I'm super familiar w/ it after making a ton of levels w/ it.

6) Generally, I am considered a fast mapper - I can have a functional (and hopefully fun) DM map made from scratch in about 3.5-6 hours' total time.

7) A lot of my mapping is done without prior planning - I just start laying down lines. MP is more lenient w/ this than SP.

I started mapping in February 2021, and have made roughly 300 since, (published 210 so far, about to release 32 more 3 days from now) so I think that roughly on average one every 3-3.5 days?

There have been periods where I take breaks, but yeah after dozens and dozens of levels, you kind of get 'in the zone' easier.

Wow, you are literally a map factory lol. I'm extremely slow and think a lot about how to do it. I have a problem with thinking one way and when I sit in front of the computer it doesn't seem so good... I wish I was like you ;-;

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 6:15 AM, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

A second map for local community project.

-snip

I love the use of classic textures in these shots. It demonstrates (I think) how much a few extra vertices along a wall and a few more sectors in a hall can bump up the quality in design without leaning on more advanced textures to do the work for you. Something I could definitely learn from! Great stuff, keep it up :)

Edited by Wo0p

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 2:03 PM, K_Doom said:

Wow, you are literally a map factory lol. I'm extremely slow and think a lot about how to do it. I have a problem with thinking one way and when I sit in front of the computer it doesn't seem so good... I wish I was like you ;-;

Same here. I too am extremely slow in making even the simplest map. The fastest I ever made was the one for the Doomworld Maximum Project 2023. I completed it in 10 days and that was very simple map lol :D Also, I can't give enough time in mapping because everyday I go on work on the morning and come at night, and then I do not have that much energy to sit and think properly. Only if I can manage to come home earlier on the evening and the Friday.

Btw, this year I hope to complete my Mystery 2 which I was working on a long time. The layout is almost complete, now time to setup things and perhaps difficulty I think.

914564369_mystery2(editarea)at2024_03.0812-11-26.117R2787.jpg.f9c776d3e14b761b072fdb6b8b03f3b5.jpg

@Arrowhead Man, you are too good in making UDMF maps, wow! Do you happen to make anything that resembles map from Doom 2016? Like Kadingir Sanctum or any other? 

Edited by Yousuf Anik

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Yousuf Anik said:

Thanks!

Nothing like that yet - I may branch out into more stuff like some singleplayer, soon, though!

Spoiler

I actually haven't finished Doom 2016! Could be cool to try to recreate something from new Doom eventually.

Spoiler

I've got some ideas for a UDMF pack focused on replicating Quake 3 maps in the Doom engine - but I haven't started that yet. I've got a new megaWAD coming out tomorrow, I may start something new soon!

Edited by Arrowhead

3 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

Hide contents

I actually haven't finished Doom 2016! Could be cool to try to recreate something from new Doom eventually.

Ah that's fine. I never got to play Doom Eternal still now. I played Doom 2016 just 2-3 times, that too with the lowest settings possible. 

Hide contents

I've got some ideas for a UDMF pack focused on replicating Quake 3 maps in the Doom engine - but I haven't started that yet. I've got a new megaWAD coming out tomorrow, I may start something new soon!

That's cool! For a long time I was thinking to create something from one of my very favorite game I used play on my childhood. A mapset or maybe all in a single map, in Doom style, like Doomguy went there to fight. That's the idea. And recently I've started already. Of course it will be in UDMF style and from what I have observed so far, it won't be easy for a beginner like me. Nevertheless, I've started learning and experimenting UDMF mapping.

Ordinarily I'd post screenshots alone, but I figured I'd take a bigger bite for this.

Currently blocking this map out and seeing how GZDoom plays nice with a wad combination that has Boom format and UDMF format maps working in concert.

To speak simply, this is going to be a wad for a wad so you can modify Doom while you modify Doom.

5 minutes ago, Treehouseminis said:

Your stuff always has such a unique aesthetic. Nice work!

:D

1 hour ago, Frank Harper said:

Ooooh boy - this statement has not age well. I spent a lot of time finding the balance between looking good and being able to run in vanilla, fighting with drawseq limits and little bit of visplane overflow. And just when I thought it was over running final testing and suddenly I encounter an unexpected crash. My dumb ass realised that looking at drawseq and visplane is not enought - there is also blockmap limit. After spending a couple of hours unsuccessfully trying to solve this problem, I even thought about splitting the map in half (which I really don't want to do). As a last resort I tried making some of the arenas simpler and thank goodness it worked and thankfully not too many things were cut.

-snippity

What's the saying? While mortals make plans, God laughs. Or something like that :P But for real I like reading these anecdotes from other creators. Makes me feel less incompetent when I'm struggling with my own creation problems x)

Well done pushing through it! You embodied the spirit of humanity; struggle and overcome :) Thanks for sharing.

Hi guys,

Here is a small map I have made a proof of concept for a wad based on Alien/Aliens. Please let me know what you think :-) if people like it I hope to make more (I already have the majority of enemies prepared)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/m0dcpdf07biwbyv/Map1-_Arrival.wad/file

Sprites for facehuggers and eggs are from Alien Trilogy.  The aliens themselves are stop motion photos from the kenner toy line.

The map should only take 5-10mins to complete 

Made on GZ Doom

Vertical aim ok

No jumping 

Doom 2 wad

This is made to be a first level, hence low enemy count. If any further info is needed let me know. If any problems running let me know,  this is my first time using DEHACKED files to change enemies 

Any and all advice/opinions/criticism welcome :-)

enjoy!!