Most recent movie you saw

After getting the news that the movie director passed, I'm watching Cannibal Holocaust. It's really stomach-churning at times.

Edited by MrFroz

Veteran. Korean movie who, wait for it, stars as its titular character a tough-guy cop who doesn't play by the rules. Honestly, it works out much better than you might think from that premise. At least I wasn't bored like most similar movies. Probably that extra little bit of flair

Red Joan. It's based on the life of Melita Norwood who was exposed as having been a Soviet spy in her 80s who'd helped give Russia intelligence which heavily contributed to them developing their own nuclear bomb (which is to say nothing of their foreknowledge from their observations of the American program, pre the end of WWII)

Pretty neat. In many ways, it reminds me of Disney's TaleSpin, albeit set in Fascist Italy.

However, and maybe it is a Japanese social norm that I do not get, but it feels really weird - if not downright uncomfortable - seeing all sorts of older men being visibly enamored with not just a bunch of schoolgirls, but also a much younger woman of unknown age who later on is reduced to little more than a prize to be fought over by the protagonist and his rival, who literally wants to marry her.

Edited by Rudolph

On 12/29/2022 at 4:13 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

Veteran. Korean movie who, wait for it, stars as its titular character a tough-guy cop who doesn't play by the rules. Honestly, it works out much better than you might think from that premise. At least I wasn't bored like most similar movies. Probably that extra little bit of flair

I love the part at the end where the car starts spinning around on top of the motorcycle.

Oh, and the part where Don Lee shows up for five seconds and does nothing.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Not too long ago, I have finally watched Richard Donner's Superman and honestly, I did not like it very much.

I mean, the casting is fine (especially the late Christopher Reeves as Superman), the John Williams score is legendary, the cinematography and special effects have aged fairly well... But damn, the movie did not need to be so fucking long. I swear, there are so, so many redundant scenes - Superman alone gets introduced at least three times - and as such easily two thirds of the movie feel completely superfluous. Then again, I understand it was a troubled production, so I can at least understand and even forgive its pacing issues, which I am sure could be - and most likely already have been - easily addressed in editing. I guess I would ultimately call the movie an unpolished gem.

Edited by Rudolph

Operation_Fortune.jpg

Just came back from the cinema. Very enjoyable and funny spy action flick, as are most of Guy Ritchie's films. Just entertaining.

Interstellar -- first time watching it and it fucking blew my mind. Amazing sci-fi! wasn't expecting it to be so detailed and scientific and I really liked that aspect to it. You had to keep focused and it made you think. As much as I like "easy" watches I do like a good brain worker too.

Just started watching B't X, which is an anime adaptation of a Masami Kurumada that is not Saint Seiya.

It is alright so far, but you can tell that Kurumada either did not care or does not have the most fertile imagination, as the whole thing basically feels like Saint Seiya with cyborgs and robots instead of demigods and ancient mythology. Even the protagonist looks, behaves and fights very much like Seiya!

Unfortunately, Seiji Yokoyama did not compose the soundtrack. :(

Edited by Rudolph

Glass onion, very funny. Between Agatha Christie and the Cluedo game.

glass-onion-a-knives-out-mystery-button-

Edited by ducon

World of Kanako.

A Japanese movie with a sort of femme fetale-esque character, only she's a teenager and her loser detective father has been tasked with finding here. Only thing I'll say further is that I'm just really attracted to these sorts of movies with such peculiarly-villanous females (probably something not quite feminist here, but who cares; there's just so many virtue signaling dweebs that don't even understand what it is they're defending on much more than a surface level; besides, I really liked it!)

2 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

A Japanese movie with a sort of femme fetale-esque character, only she's a teenager and her loser detective father has been tasked with finding here.

When you put it that way, I cannot help but reminded of the premise of Searching, which is a really good experimental movie in its own right.

Satan's Slaves: a competent but entirely unoriginal and unscary Indonesian film that uses every cliche in the book to no avail. You'd think that a movie with such a title would be a little more hardcore than what's being offered here. Supposedly the sequel is better, but that's not saying much.

Also watched "The Sadness", another Indonesian film that is notorious for its gore. I thought it was lame and many of the effects are so OTT it's like watching a cartoon. The characters and plot are a snore-orgy.

A 1975 Giallo called Strip Nude For Your Killer, before that was 1972's All the Colours of the Dark. Both starred Edwige Fenech. I've seen her previously in The Case of the Bloody Iris and The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh.

The latter three are all different from the first in that she very much is in the central role and they all make use of her stage presence. She has the most expressive eyes, and she does illicit sympathy above the norm I think because of it. Colours of the Dark overall was pretty good, the reveal of the mystery going on was kind of weak but the movie itself was psychological and visual in satisfying ways. There's some interesting direction.

Strip Nude For Your Killer is what happens when the premise is decent but the film making is just not there, and the sleaze goes too far bordering on gross at points. I think contrary to what some might assume, I believe from what I've seen that most Giallo films do like to be sleazy but most of them don't go too far with it; to imply more than they show. This one, ugh, bit uncomfortable. I will say despite the title there was no connection between the killer and the sleaze scenes, they literally had nothing to do with one another. The more famous of these films mostly are because of inventive direction, particularly for making the murder sequences memorable. It was mostly absent in this movie. 

Fade to Black. Centers around this guy that gives off some rather obvious present mass shooter vibes who's obsessed with movies, to the point of homicidal fury, as it turns out. I thought it was strange they had a psychologist sympathetic to his situation when he was essentially some Howard Unruh-styled nerd that was hard to sympathize with.

• 2 weeks later...

This Movie has some very serious logic Errors.

- If they want to claim the Planet for themselfs and force Piece, why would they only hunt down one Man and his Family?
- Why wouldn't the Humans attack the Wood Folk when the Family flees from there, they want to conquer, they have to attack all Clans and they have no Idea about that they run away.
It makes no Sense at all to flee and think they save someone.

- Why at all are the Humans as focused on that Planet? They can't breath there, they have to terraform it. They could just take a dead Planet, Water is everywhere in some Form in the Universe, this is no Excuse and with that Technology, they just could take Ressources from everywhere or build a big habitat Space Station for Humanity.

- Why aren't there Diplomats? I hate the all Humans are dumb ruthless bad (white) People Approach, i like more the Star Trek Way, that Humanity is stepping forward in civilizatoric Ways.
We went so far in Human Rights and Wisdom about Nature, i can't imagine that we will travel Space and act like in medieval Times.

- Where did all the Sea People went in the final Battle? Did the Clan Leader and his Wife stop carrying about their Daughter?

- And a not so serious Point, they have Mana Trees, why don't they use the Mana Sword :P

On 12/29/2022 at 3:50 PM, MrFroz said:

After getting the news that the movie director passed, I'm watching Cannibal Holocaust. It's really stomach-churning at times.

I don’t get why Cannibal Holocaust gets all this stuff said about it. It was nothing to me when I watched it. After I watched it I was like “that was it? This is the movie that everyone says should be banned and has made people sick???”. I mean maybe I’m just desensitized to that stuff, but I mean to each their own I guess.

Last movie I watched was Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie. I guess it was serviceable?

On 1/28/2023 at 11:12 PM, Spooner5020 said:

I don’t get why Cannibal Holocaust gets all this stuff said about it. It was nothing to me when I watched it. After I watched it I was like “that was it? This is the movie that everyone says should be banned and has made people sick???”. I mean maybe I’m just desensitized to that stuff, but I mean to each their own I guess.

Cannibal Holocaust is a film that at least coming from my general movie watching experience, is disgusting on many different levels. I have seen rape scenes in movies before, but those scenes tend to be somewhat relevant to the plot and its usually a single scene that lasts a few minutes (The Last House on the Left is an example that comes to mind). Cannibal Holocaust throughout its relatively short duration throws you more than one such scene, and then there's the real animal killings which are appalling to see, especially one that involves a turtle. In the end I thought it was vile trash, and reading about the actual making of the movie on TV Tropes pretty much sealed the deal. Like there was an instance during shooting where one of the actresses thought it was unnecessary for her to appear topless at one point, and the director dragged her off the set and screamed at her until she agreed to do it. This amongst other reported incidents give me the impression that had this been made more recently, the director would have been metoo-ed in record time.

Edited by MrFroz

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. To be honest despite being a comic book fan I've got very bored with MCU stuff, skipped most of the recent movies and only watched (the pretty damn good) Moonknight TV show. Thought I'd give this a go though as it's a Sam Raimi movie.

Visually, in places, it's one of the visually lush movies I've ever seen. In others not so much, the Eye-ball demon near the start (sure he's in Marvel vs Capcom 2) looks pretty dodgy for example. Stories pretty boring given the premise and I was expecting more from the Multiverse concept. Patrick Stewart's brief return as Prof X was pretty fun but think the whole idea was underused. There is quite a bit of Raimi's style to a lot of the scenes featuring Scarlet Witch and she just about saves the movie, but overall another disappointing movie especially given the budget, director and talented actors involved. Wish Benedict Cumbernatch would return to Sherlock, rather watch a new movie of that.