Most recent movie you saw

Captain America: Civil War on Amazon Prime.

Damn good movie. It felt like an actual Avengers film and the second best one after Infinity War and Endgame. 

At this point, I've caught up every single MCU film released prior to Spiderman: No Way Home (which I still haven't seen yet and want to after we get back from our overseas trip), not counting the GoTG Holiday Special and the shorts and the tv series, which I don't, but wouldn't be opposed to watching. And I saw every MCU film currently released after that save for Thor: Love and Thunder and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever at the time of this post. 

6 hours ago, Wyrmwood said:

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. To be honest despite being a comic book fan I've got very bored with MCU stuff, skipped most of the recent movies and only watched (the pretty damn good) Moonknight TV show. Thought I'd give this a go though as it's a Sam Raimi movie.

Visually, in places, it's one of the visually lush movies I've ever seen. In others not so much, the Eye-ball demon near the start (sure he's in Marvel vs Capcom 2) looks pretty dodgy for example. Stories pretty boring given the premise and I was expecting more from the Multiverse concept. Patrick Stewart's brief return as Prof X was pretty fun but think the whole idea was underused. There is quite a bit of Raimi's style to a lot of the scenes featuring Scarlet Witch and she just about saves the movie, but overall another disappointing movie especially given the budget, director and talented actors involved. Wish Benedict Cumbernatch would return to Sherlock, rather watch a new movie of that.

Saw that one as well. Pretty fun and good. But sad that a certain character that my best friend really likes had to die in the end.

Gonna have to say from what I've read and seen so far on MCU's next slate of movies, Phase Five is definitely gonna be garbage and shit. Lack of variety and interesting stories compared to the previous ones. Probably even the worst phase so far. 

But Phase Six with two more Avengers films on the other hand...

Edited by SealSpace

Unpopular opinion: I actually prefer Phase Four of the MCU films over first three phases of the MCU. 

Outside of mainly Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame (and maybe the Hulk film and Thor: Ragnorok) at least. 

I had been curious about silent movies for awhile, because their history as most of them being lost fascinates me, plus the idea of a movie that mostly relies on a live soundtrack, title cards for dialogue, and a lot of acting to get the point across is such an interesting idea and finally decided to watch "Metropolis" since it's been on my to-watch list for awhile. It was definitely an interesting watch, with some genuinely interesting things with how they did certain effects, and there were some downright disturbing moments that made me go "this was made BACK THEN?!" I dunno, but there is something about unexpectedly dark or creepy or whatever things in older films I can't quite describe. It's just very dreamlike, this film.

Finally got to see Knives Out. I think I liked it better than Glass Onion overall, but at the same time, I do appreciate the latter being set during the early stage of the COVID-19 pandemic and making Elon Musk to be the butt of the joke.

Watched Small Soldiers with my son. I remember this being a briefly popular movie but I'd not watched it before. Pretty good Gremlins styled kids horror movie, the Barbie scenes quite creepy but for the most it's perfectly pitched for kids who like darker things but are not quite ready for proper horror stuff. My son loved it and got to say I didn't mind it myself.

Recognized Tommy Lee Jones straight off as the bad doll but wasn't till the end credits I realized that the Gorgonites were all the members of Spinal Tap! 

Watched Terminator 1.

I really love this movie for its dark nature and the reason for it is because its not your basic pew pew and large explosions movie, unlike its sequels.

(Well... I like Terminator 2 but 1 is pure 24K gold for me.)

I managed to watch The Battle At Lake Changjin two-parter. Questionable acting from the American characters aside, it was very impressive, especially in a time where I thought I was essentially done with war movies. It helps that they were co-directed by Tsui Hark, a director I am particularly fond of.

Speaking of Tsui Hark, I also recently saw The Taking of Tiger Mountain. The events depicted in this one are entirely fictional, but it is still nice to see the People's Liberation Army as protagonists and not some kind of villains whom we should be afraid of all because our governments are telling us so.

Edited by Rudolph

Trees of Peace

It's not really recommended for anyone who's bored at movies where the central characters are constantly in one place but as a sort of character exploration piece and realization of the need to change things, it's quite intimate.

The unfortunately-named Andor.

Not a movie, but a series, and an incredibly good one at that. It is hard to believe it is part of something as campy as Star Wars, as it feels like an original intellectual property most of the time not just because of the gritty tone and the much more grounded acting and characterization, but also due to the relative lack of Star Wars staples and more outlandish elements. It is just a shame that it has to be a prequel to Rogue One, a movie that I am not particularly fond of for a number of reasons, because we already know what is going to happen to its lead character.

I say it is unfortunately named, because why the hell would you pick a title that sounds exactly like the forest moon of Endor? I mean, what is next? A Star Wars spin-off named after a protagonist called Deg Obah? :P

Edited by Rudolph

Reign of Fire (2002), starring pre-Batman Christian Bale, Gerard Butler with his native Scottish accent, Izabella Scorupco (Natalya from Goldeneye, here struggling to do an American accent), Alexander Siddig (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Dr. Bashir) and Matthew McConaughey chewing at the scenery, is a surprisingly decent post-apocalyptic movie set in the dystopian future of... 2020!

Here is the best scene in the entire movie (which happens early on, so no spoilers):

5 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

The Duncan Jones film Mute, where the sci-fi aspect feels actually more played down.

Is it any good? I really liked Moon, but I hear Mute was not too great.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:26 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

Blade Runner 2049.

Your thoughts? I personally think it trumps the first movie in every way imaginable. Mostly in terms of narrative and characters.. or character should I rather say, since the only character who is fleshed out is K, who is far more likable than Deckard, and even develops near the end. The plot is a lot more interesting than the first movie as well, since the first movie is very by the numbers. There's a element of mystery to 2049 that I really like. Having a mystery unravel and climax is always interesting, to me at least. The cinemaphotography is also stunning. Every frame is beautiful. 2049 and the original have that in common.

Sorry for the long post. It's not often I get to discuss one of my favourite movies.

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

@ducon What movie would that be? The image you posted was hotlinked, it says, and we cannot see it.

Sorry: Minions 2 Rise of Gru.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:34 PM, Rudolph said:

Is it any good? I really liked Moon, but I hear Mute was not too great.

It's more character-focused which is something I really like. But yes, the mute lead is annoying and not entirely sympathetic, 

4 hours ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Your thoughts? I personally think it trumps the first movie in every way imaginable. Mostly in terms of narrative and characters.. or character should I rather say, since the only character who is fleshed out is K, who is far more likable than Deckard, and even develops near the end. The plot is a lot more interesting than the first movie as well, since the first movie is very by the numbers. There's a element of mystery to 2049 that I really like. Having a mystery unravel and climax is always interesting, to me at least. The cinemaphotography is also stunning. Every frame is beautiful. 2049 and the original have that in common.

Sorry for the long post. It's not often I get to discuss one of my favourite movies.

Blade Runner is still an excellent movie and has a certain magic that 2049 doesn't but that said, 2049 was also considerably more compelling or had more going on over the long haul.

7 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

It's more character-focused which is something I really like. But yes, the mute lead is annoying and not entirely sympathetic

That is a shame. Moon was fantastic, Source Code was good until its unnecessary reality-bending ending and the WarCraft movie just looks... bad.

I hope Duncan Jones does not become the next M. Night Shyamalan!

Edited by Rudolph

The Stanford Prison Experiment (2015) by Kyle Patrick Alvarez. Makes you think.

Edited by Geniraul