Most recent movie you saw

Oh yeah, with all the talk about Elon Musk sucking, I rewatched Glass Onion. I liked it better this time, especially because I approached it as a murder mystery parody rather than a straightforward murder mystery with comedic elements like Knives Out. I still think Ed Norton is not the right actor to play the Elon Musk proxy, however; I suppose the character can also be seen as an amalgam of both Apartheid Clyde and Meta Male Markie Mark Zuckerberg, but even then, the character still comes across as way too charming and competent. Oh well.

I have also just realized that the character Peg is played by Jessica Henwick, who is Bugs in The Matrix Resurrections. Quite the contrast!

Edited by Rudolph

Huh, what do you know, they are about to release a Babylon 5 animated movie!

Not sure I am very fond of that animation style, but it will do, given the circumstances.

Edited by Rudolph

When the Wind Blows (1986)

This was....a strange one. The two mains seemed really dumb but I think they were meant to convey some naivety on what was happening by ordinary people. 

91R0Zxbi20L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Okay, I saw Babylon 5: The Road Home. Unfortunately, it is not very good.

It is not that it is particularly bad either (although Zathras is as painfully as ever), but it just feels like a rethread of the "War With No End" two-parter, except without much in the way of stakes and character development. Furthermore, a good chunk of the original cast has since passed away; while their replacements do a decent job at imitating their voices, it makes the whole cast reunion feel hollow. Also, aside from Bruce Boxleitner, most returning actors do not get much to do; it is actually jarring to see just how underused Peter Jurasik and Bill Mumy are here. Do not expect to see Walter Koenig to reprise his role as Bester either, as the character is not even mentioned.

I would say it is too little, too late, but quite frankly, Babylon 5 is not something that I feel needed to be brought back. Oh well... :S

Edited by Rudolph

I rewatched Beavis and Butt-Head Do America. I never watched it all the first time, but this time around, I saw the entire thing. It was kind of like the show "Beavis and Butt-Head", but longer and less music. If you don't know who Beavis and Butt-Head are, you need to watch this movie.
 I'm a big fan of these kinds of antics, so I see it as a kind of necessary experience. I simply say "Watch It".

The Island. It's the first and only Michael Bay film I will probably ever watch. The first half of the film is pretty good, with the sci-fi setting being pretty immersive and compelling. The second half was a bit boring, with the endless chase sequences (that go on for basically an hour straight) tiring me out. I've heard that Michael Bay films are just big explosions, chase sequences and product placement so I can hardly say I'm surprised, but a bit disappointed that he didn't stick more to the sci-fi setting at the start.

1 hour ago, enigma101 said:

The Island. It's the first and only Michael Bay film I will probably ever watch. The first half of the film is pretty good, with the sci-fi setting being pretty immersive and compelling. The second half was a bit boring, with the endless chase sequences (that go on for basically an hour straight) tiring me out. I've heard that Michael Bay films are just big explosions, chase sequences and product placement so I can hardly say I'm surprised, but a bit disappointed that he didn't stick more to the sci-fi setting at the start.

The Rock is also decent, if you can stomach some of the silliness early on, namely a completely useless chase scene and an effeminate gay hairdresser (because lol). The movie does get pretty good by the time the protagonists reach the titular island.

Would You Rather (2012) a film with a premise similar to that of Squid Game and chillingly starring Jeffrey Combs as the nutty millionaire responsible.

51QN2BUhf9L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

"Halloween" (2007) by Rob Zombie.
The film was good, though the time was not right, I really wanted to sleep.
Still, I love Michael Myers more than every other antagonists in horrors, cause watching a humanoid emotionless creature with great power is much scarier than watching a charismatic scumbag like Freddy Krueger.
Purely subconsciously, psychologically.

I watched the first Evil Dead movie, which I had never seen it before. I saw the reboot of Evil Dead a while ago so it gave me an idea of what to expect. It was not exactly the same as the reboot, but the reboot did give some insight into the direction that was taken in the first one. All in all, the movie was worth watching. One of the things I loved about the reboot of Evil Dead and this movie is that is has an artistic direction that is not-so-specific; It's open to your own interpretation instead of other movies cramming the idea down your popcorn blocked throat.

Another thing about Evil Dead (the first one, anyway) is the atmospheric sound. It's very unique.

If you like blood and horror and fright, watch Evil Dead or the reboot of Evil Dead. They're both a bloody good time.

Saw the first season of Fargo. Started off really strong, but began to meander after a while and for most of the season. I kid you not, there is a whole major subplot that spans quite a few episodes that directly ties to the original movie... and then it suddenly comes to an end without much of a resolution and it is never mentioned again. Like, really. And there is a very awkward time skip towards the very end and the main plot is resolved in a way that feels like the culmination of several seasons worth of a show, except this is only the first season that lasts only 10 episodes. Oh, and probably as a nod to the original movie, there are scenes that go absolutely nowhere for comedic purposes, but here, since this is a series, those scenes are much more numerous and as such feel like padding. Quite disappointing.

Hopefully, the second season is better.

Edited by Rudolph

Pigs (1973)

A woman escapes with a mental hospital and goes to work for a guy who's basically like a real life version of the serial killer Robert Pickton that was busted more than 20 years after the movie was made. What does that mean? I've probably said enough. Safe to say that Lynn (the woman) is no innocent victim.

p42866_p_v8_aa.jpg

The Exorcist (1973)
Very atmospheric and spooky film, especially for its age.
Always wanted to watch this film because of its cult status and popular screamer, also musical theme, but never actually saw him until the end because I thought that it's too overlong, but now that I look at it, I don't see what the point of my earlier complaint was.
"Prom Night" from 1980 is drawn out in a dickish way, but "Exorcist" is not.
I really appreciate Friedkin's work, although I watched this also like a comedy, because I'm a weird dick.
10/10 to my humble opinion.

Edited by Vanilla+Unicorn

I rewatched Fire In The Sky. The saw this movie for the first time a long time ago. I was pretty young, so I was scared by the scary parts. I found out (by watching the credits), those parts were actually done by ILM (it looks like ILM too, and is well done special effect goodness). I wasn't as scared this time, but it was still fun.
 This movie has a lot of powerful dramatic elements, plus real looking characters. That is to say, it is a pretty good story. Fire In The Sky is actually based on a true story, I don't know exactly how good the adaptation is. The truth of the story is that Travis Walden is abducted by extraterrestrials, and his friends witness his abduction, adding to the truth of the fact that he was picked up by a UFO in the middle of the night. I remember seeing Travis Walden interviewed on a tv show, and it sounded kind of different than this director's point of view.
  It's easy to spark controversy here because the actual abduction event happened in the 1970s, and the movie itself came about in the 1990s -- both before the Internet was even popular. I know some people on the Internet look like extraterrestrials for an old, down home, honest to goodness alien abduction in the backyard.
 Not to drag you along as long as a cigarette, I just prefer this kind of movie. 

I say watch it.

@LadyMistDragon Ha, I own the Vinegar Syndrome release of Pigs aka Daddy's Deadly Darling (it was a blind buy). I used to try trading it away to users on r/boutiqueblurays but no one in their right minds has a desire for a physical copy of friggin' Pigs.

Screenshot_20230909-022635.jpg

Edited by lunchlunch

Just finished watching Joker (2019)

I'm not much of a movie person, and I have particular distaste for superhero movies. But Joker really impressed me. It impressed me because it didn't care to play the whole good guy / bad guy routine. It showed how much really needs to go wrong in one's life to push him over the line, the cost of cutting on social services, the cost of inadequate mental health care, social standing disparity, and so much more. It surprised me how politically charged it is, how directly it critiques the contemporary situation. It's not by-the-numbers design by committee like so many movies feel, it has something to say. I appreciate that.

14 hours ago, lunchlunch said:

@LadyMistDragon Ha, I own the Vinegar Syndrome release of Pigs aka Daddy's Deadly Darling (it was a blind buy). I used to try trading it away to users on r/boutiqueblurays but no one in their right minds has a desire for a physical copy of friggin' Pigs.

Screenshot_20230909-022635.jpg

Ya, it's disturbing but moreover is a little boring if you just want to see nothing but blood and guts, though it's not like it doesn't satisfy in that category where it counts.

Mostly movies here and there that I've skipped through.

I think the last beginning 'till end watch for me was Prey.

• 2 weeks later...

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

Johnny Depp does an amazing job imitating the Gonzo writer, Hunter S. Thompson, mostly due to the fact that they're both from Kentucky and Depp was good friends with the man and lived with him for about a year. 

I really like this move because it opened me up to more of Hunter Thompsons work, a very smart, misunderstand man who took what he wanted from life and when he didn't feel like it no more, went out on his own terms.

What strikes me the most about this movie is that it's very true to source and just like the source doesn't quite have a story or moral, it's just a trip from start to finish.

A truly unique movie, too weird to live, too rare to die.

image.png.3cd82c8ee179c207d0136b8c611b38be.png

Perpetrator (2023)

So this girl discovers she has vampiric-esque powers - but instead of craving blood, she feels the emotional states of others around her. The culprit of the teen girl disappearances was predictable once things were narrowed down, but it was tense, taut, and nice!

Tried to watch Homunculus - a Japanese "horror" film about a homeless guy who allows an odd medical intern to drill a hole through his forehead and into his skull to open the doors of his perception but it's too filled with the typical Japanese weirdness (like the way they tend to fetishize sex or bizarre sexual fantasies about female high school students, and, naturally, of course, there's a very strange, unpleasant sex scene between the middle-aged protagonist and a high school student wearing her short skirt school uniform) to finish.  It reminded me of Videodrome slightly with us seeing his strange hallucinations but I grew bored after the 2/3 point.

Edited by cacomonkey

Observance (2015)

Not terrible but billing itself as a horror movie when there was a minimal amount of effort put into that was strange. If just a thing or two more had been explained more, it could've been that much better.

p12940906_p_v8_ac.jpg