REKKR - V1.16

You can change cheats within dehacked, but GZDoom won't read them. But yeah, I put in some changed/new ones. Godmode makes your view height taller, and reflects projectiles. There's a mirror mode cheat. Aforementioned rabbit (who is killable, just has a lot of health).

And yeah, vanilla cheats are disabled with the rekkrgz.pk3

Edited by Revae

17 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

Thanks! Here are the widescreen assets presented in wad form. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. 

REKKRSL-wide.zip

What does this add that REKKRSL doesn't have already? I loaded it after REKKRSL and didn't notice a difference.

Just now, MrDowntempo said:

What does this add that REKKRSL doesn't have already? I loaded it after REKKRSL and didn't notice a difference.

This patch is for sourceports that can handle widescreen, but don't support W file suffixes or non-Doom gfx lumps. Instead, of wide assets being a supplement, they are explicitly replacing their 4:3 counterparts. 

15 minutes ago, Charlie Love said:

This patch is for sourceports that can handle widescreen, but don't support W file suffixes or non-Doom gfx lumps. Instead, of wide assets being a supplement, they are explicitly replacing their 4:3 counterparts. 

AH! Okay. I was testing in DoomRetro, so I suppose it just supports the included windescreen assets out of the box. Whereas an even more uh 'primative' engine would need your wad to override the 4:3 assets.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Seems to work well in Chocolate Doom like that. Any plans on making it compatible for other ports as an IWAD? That seems to be a common issue with any port that's not ZDoom-based.

This exactly. The Hacx 1.2 release could run standalone in DOS - Didn''t @MrFlibble use MBF for that, i don't see how ReKKR Sunken Land couldn't.

Ideally, through its own custom exe with DeHacked, but that runs you into legality issues. So, perhaps a DOS build/WAD and using FreeDoom just then?

I'd love to see how that game actually faires on a 486 PC in all of its 320x200 glory.

Turns out Zandronum can't do spawnnums in the mapinfo so I gotta find a workaround for that I guess, or wait til zandronum adds it to a dev build or something. Something something decorate something. It's always something. I didn't test it before release in Z&ybam. Was more concerned with making sure my little gzdoom MP gui worked. Ah well.
As for editing it to make it recognizable as an iwad to other ports: yeh, maybe. Just figured it was a more niche request than it turns out to be. I don't want to update so soon after release though out of fear of breaking saves.

19 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Is there a way to enable all GZDoom options for this, like Supplice did?

hit ~ to bring up the console, and type menu_options. But they're off for a reason, really. I assume you want freelook, so you could also type freelook 1, and m_pitch 1 in the console and that should work too. Fudge, maybe I'll just throw a toggle in the menu.
Just fixed it not working in Zandronum, but I might wait to throw an update out. Although I don't think it'll break any saves since I didn't change any maps. But an entity did switch from ZScript to Decorate so who knows. Not me, that's who not.

40 minutes ago, Revae said:

hit ~ to bring up the console, and type menu_options. But they're off for a reason, really. I assume you want freelook, so you could also type freelook 1, and m_pitch 1 in the console and that should work too. Fudge, maybe I'll just throw a toggle in the menu.

Awesome, thanks!

Freelook is nice, but what I want most is to be able to disable things like screen wipes and autosaves, adjust the HUD and the automap, change transparency mode from "Fuzz" to "Translucent", things like that. Quality-of-life stuff, basically.

Edited by Rudolph

NP.

There should be automap options there I think... Maybe I'm misremembering (on my phone atm).

Screen wipes and such I might put in the options I suppose. autosaves for sure should be in there, I'll look at that. There shouldn't be any transparency anyway except the player when they pick up the cloak of invisibility (which is only in one level anyway because it makes it harder to predict projectiles and there aren't any hitscanners for it to benefit from).

Edit X2: Some of the automap options are sorta cheaty which is probably why I didn't include them. Showing secrets and trigger lines and such... The rotation and overlay etc options are in the keybinds, so that's probably what I was thinking. The statusbar will be scaleable (someone else mentioned this), and I'll throw autosave options and automap in a misc section in the "gameplay" section. wipes will be in graphics... not the fuzz effect though, because it's kinda a non-issue in REKKR.
And some things won't be there like particle options and such because I'm trying to consider REKKR more of a standalone thing (because it is now I suppose) and particles don't match the aesthetic I'm going for I guess... Things like jumping and crouching won't be in, and similarly freelook shouldn't be either as it's also minorly sequence breaking... But we'll see. You can always console these options in but you should know it's CHEATING AND YOU'RE A CHEATER. :-)

Edited by Revae

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

This exactly. The Hacx 1.2 release could run standalone in DOS - Didn''t @MrFlibble use MBF for that, i don't see how ReKKR Sunken Land couldn't.

Ideally, through its own custom exe with DeHacked, but that runs you into legality issues. So, perhaps a DOS build/WAD and using FreeDoom just then?

I'd love to see how that game actually faires on a 486 PC in all of its 320x200 glory.

I've done this with v1.16 without issue, so I think with some tweaks Sunken Land shouldn't be too much of a problem. I also plan to add custom par times in the DOS REKKR EXE I'm putting together, because I see that Sunken Land comes with them. That and perhaps some non-dehackable text strings (quit messages, etc.) as well.

54 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I've done this with v1.16 without issue, so I think with some tweaks Sunken Land shouldn't be too much of a problem. I also plan to add custom par times in the DOS REKKR EXE I'm putting together, because I see that Sunken Land comes with them. That and perhaps some non-dehackable text strings (quit messages, etc.) as well.

Go right ahead! Id love to see this!

I feel like freelook is kind of necessary to aim at those floating enemies, as I was never a fan of auto-aim.

Anyway, it has been a while since I played REKKR, so I had forgotten about the soul ammo drops that disappear after a couple of seconds. I guess it is a good thing, since it prevents me from having too much ammo. Does this game replace the Shotgun, however? I do not remember: I got the Supershotgun replacement already, so I was wondering.

Edited by Rudolph

5 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Anyway, it has been a while since I played REKKR, so I had forgotten about the soul ammo drops that disappear after a couple of seconds. I guess it is a good thing, since it prevents me from having too much ammo. Does this game replace the Shotgun, however? I do not remember: I got the Supershotgun replacement already, so I was wondering. 

The holy relic (slot 6) is basically a faster shotgun.

14 minutes ago, brightentayle said:

The holy relic (slot 6) is basically a faster shotgun.

Okay, but does it use the same ammo type?

I got to say, I like that the Lost Soul replacement resurrects enemies; in hindsight, I wish the Lost Soul could do as much in Doom.

However, I did notice that the grey monster with the Baraka blade arms has two different sprites: one with red blades and hooves and one without. Are there any difference between the two monsters gameplaywise or is it purely cosmetic?

10 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I got to say, I like that the Lost Soul replacement resurrects enemies; in hindsight, I wish the Lost Soul could do as much in Doom.

However, I did notice that the grey monster with the Baraka blade arms has two different sprites: one with red blades and hooves and one without. Are there any difference between the two monsters gameplaywise or is it purely cosmetic? 

The husk with the red arms (red eyes, pre-Sunken Land) has more HP

5 minutes ago, brightentayle said:

The husk with the red arms (red eyes, pre-Sunken Land) has more HP

Oh, so it is REKKR's equivalent of the Hell Knight/Baron of Hell dichotomy?

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Oh, so it is REKKR's equivalent of the Hell Knight/Baron of Hell dichotomy? 

Not quite, it's more similar to palette swaps in Build engine games - and Rekkr has a lot of enemy variations like that.

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I feel like freelook is kind of necessary to aim at those floating enemies, as I was never a fan of auto-aim.

My issue with auto-aim isn't how it works, but the fact that you're left in the dark about what gets targeted. Most ports have either the native ability or mods that let your reticle snap onto enemies. I find this to be a nice middle ground between vanilla gameplay and more modern conveniences.

Steetshot launcher and holy relic don't use the same ammo. Red monsters are faster/stronger than non red ones. There are variants for husks, imps (floaty heads), big skelly boys, former king/dukes. You don't often see the former kings or red skeletons after the E2 boss though, if ever...

Ah fuk, yeah. I missed that apparently. Another level fix is coming tonight so I'll fix that too. Help me out and blow yourself up with that staff there.
I'll make it escapable too while I'm at it, since people seem to dislike it when I don't.

Oh yeah, completed all of it today (or most of it, rather, since I didn't go for 100% secrets).

8dac99a1-0ff2-4a54-9236-7f72acfc8aa9.jpg.ce698ee0ac5afa80863e12ec7f91b561.jpg

(more like five-ish hours w/savescumming)

Going through Sunken Land felt like replaying bits and pieces of The Birth and Post Mortem - hell, E4M7 is basically a condensed Hexen hub, much like Blood's E5/6M7. Compared to both of those add-on episodes, though, SL feels more like a fever dream, switching between the mundane and the mystic seemingly at the drop of a hat, with recognisable themes and elements of Rekkr's eps 2 and 3 sprinkled throughout. The doomcute game's still strong, though, even with barely noticeable things like tiny frog statues and jackalope wall trophies; pity that none of the fridges in the game can be opened, and the one could be is gone, wink wink.

Admittedly, doing a blind run of the whole episode four really makes me feel like Sunken Land has more Broadway maps (akin to E1M3, pre-patch, and E1M7) than all the other three episodes combined, though it's likely just me trying to adapt to it. Either way, if anyone's gonna have Doom maze fatigue, that's normal, take a break.

Oh yeah, there's also small changes to the base game overall, such as... the bow no longer being completely obsolete when you pick up the soul launcher, yay! Also maybe slightly faster SSG reloads, that one took forever. Probably no one else will notice it, since everyone playing with the new HUD (and the old Doom one can't be scaled from the options menu), but the rekkr's face now has visible eyes, too. Definitely an improvement in my book. nvm i thought they now show up when he's at 100% health but apparently not

Also, toilet quota fulfilled, four bucks well spent.

P.S., spoilers for the boss battles

Spoiler

I like how Gardien's now the only hitscan enemy out of the bunch, yet fighting him still felt significantly easier than trying to mop the floor with DeathRaven - both in E3M8 and the much more confined rematch in E4M6.

Edited by brightentayle

You are playing REKKR on a Game Boy-size computer?!? :o

Anyway, I had forgotten just how brutal E1M9 was. In fact, I must ask: was this secret level present in the original release? It has been so long.