Post your Doom textures!

Jimmy

@Wadmodder Shalton Appreciate the effort but those textures are not gonna tile horizontally at all, especially the bottom one with all those trees in the bottom-right corner. The only ones that will really look close to good in-game are the second one and maybe the third one - but even those look like you'll have to do some extensive pixel editing first.

On 3/16/2022 at 6:47 PM, kirbyguy11 said:

Turns out Triscuits are great for making wood textures

CWOODHQ.png

Original:

772139500_IMG_27271.JPG.4438df5f3830cce63b2507ddd0325461.JPG

Delicious and high on fiber!

22 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Greetings, mortal. Are you ready to press me like a switch?

SW1_KRX1.pngSW2_KRX1.png

SW1_KRX2.pngSW2_KRX2.png

I might have overdone the glowy parts. Fortunately, it's easily amended.

Nice. Is it possible to make switches with more than 2 frames in doom2?

Just now, Naarok0fkor said:

Nice. Is it possible to make switches with more than 2 frames in doom2?

In gzDoom, probably somehow.

In Doom proper (Vanilla through Boom) switch textures can be animated, but there can't be a transition that then stops.

12 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Look at OTEX for an example of animated switches (skull-on-circuitboard switches).

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. A texture within the range of animation can be also defined as a switch, and it'll animate. OTEX might not be the best example due overwhelming amount of textures in it, but the principle is there.

One more switch idea from hexen. Color might need some work.

sw1_snek.png

sw2_snekint.png

sw2_snekint2.png

sw2_snek.png

ezgif.com-gif-maker10.gif

Update: Speaking about animated switches.
Update 2: It would probably look better if I add light reflecting off the chain, I'll get back to you when I figure out how to do that right.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

I was going to propose something, and seeing that @ViolentBeetle has been into switches lately, I think this is a good time to do so.

How would you all feel about monthly texture jams - that is - a proposed "theme" every month in which people can choose to participate (allowing for regular ol' texture posting as per usual). 

I was thinking switches might be a fun and relatively easy one to tackle for the month of April, what do you guys think?

1 hour ago, kwc said:

I was going to propose something, and seeing that @ViolentBeetle has been into switches lately, I think this is a good time to do so.

How would you all feel about monthly texture jams - that is - a proposed "theme" every month in which people can choose to participate (allowing for regular ol' texture posting as per usual). 

I was thinking switches might be a fun and relatively easy one to tackle for the month of April, what do you guys think?

While I won't be able to contribute I frequently use various texture packs. May I suggest that if you do go w this theme that you compile all of the switches into a single switch-wall (or a few switch-walls if there are enough) at the end. You might also consider adding size 32/16/8 side and back paneling (which could also be compiled) as well as creating matching flats for exterior switches.

Good ideas @Egregor. I don't see why this can't be a goal. :)

I suppose if people nominate their textures to be part of the jam-pack when they post 'em, that would make things go smoother.

That way participation isn't mutually exclusive with having your work collected into the pack.

Edited by kwc

Sounds fun! Making textures is fun, and I'm kind of surprised I haven't made many of my own. A bit of direction might be what I need!

I never made it far in Hexen, but this thing was probably a switch and only rotated one way. So I added missing frames and now it just spins. I cropped it to not accidentally change border colours. It could be put in the center of original textures if necessary.

ezgif.com-gif-maker12.gif

(I wonder if Doom could handle animated switch that has 2 defined "switch" frames in 2 different pairs. I should try it out)

Edited by ViolentBeetle

Microsoft Plus XP's Mercury Pool screensaver cave textures for Doom, converted to the pallete as much as possible with a couple of variants.

Spoiler

CaveStalag

CAVESTAL1.pngCAVESTAL2.pngCAVESTAL3.pngCAVESTAL4.pngCAVESTAL5.pngCAVESTAL6.pngCAVESTAL7.pngCAVESTAL8.png

Spoiler

CaveStone

CAVESTON0.pngCAVESTON1.pngCAVESTON2.pngCAVESTON3.pngCAVESTON4.pngCAVESTON5.pngCAVESTON6.pngCAVESTON7.pngCAVESTON8.pngCAVESTON9.png

Spoiler

CaveWall1

CAVEWALL1.pngCAVEWALL2.pngCAVEWALL3.pngCAVEWALL4.pngCAVEWALL5.pngCAVEWALL6.pngCAVEWALL7.pngCAVEWALL8.pngCAVEWALL9.png

Spoiler

CaveWall2

CAVEBUMP0.pngCAVEBUMP1.pngCAVEBUMP2.pngCAVEBUMP3.pngCAVEBUMP4.pngCAVEBUMP5.pngCAVEBUMP6.pngCAVEBUMP7.pngCAVEBUMP8.pngCAVEBUMP9.pngCAVEBUMP10.pngCAVEBUMP11.pngCAVEBUMP12.png

Feel free to use them.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

Now here's Microsoft Plus XP's Mercury Pool screensaver tech textures for Doom, converted to the pallete as much as possible with a couple of variants.

Spoiler

Fan

FAN1.pngFAN2.pngFAN3.pngFAN4.pngFAN5.pngFAN6.pngFAN7.png

Spoiler

Light2

LIGHT0.pngLIGHT1.pngLIGHT2.pngLIGHT3.pngLIGHT4.pngLIGHT5.pngLIGHT6.pngLIGHT7.pngLIGHT8.pngLIGHT9.pngLIGHT10.pngLIGHT11.pngLIGHT12.pngLIGHT13.pngLIGHT14.png

Spoiler

Pipe4

PIPED0.pngPIPED1.pngPIPED2.pngPIPED3.pngPIPED4.pngPIPED5.pngPIPED6.pngPIPED7.pngPIPED8.pngPIPED9.pngPIPED10.pngPIPED11.pngPIPED12.pngPIPED13.png

Spoiler

PipeFloor2

PIPE0.pngPIPE1.pngPIPE2.pngPIPE3.pngPIPE4.pngPIPE5.pngPIPE6.pngPIPE7.pngPIPE8.pngPIPE9.pngPIPE10.png

Spoiler

MetalPlaceA3

PLATEA0.pngPLATEA1.pngPLATEA2.pngPLATEA3.pngPLATEA4.pngPLATEA5.pngPLATEA6.pngPLATEA7.pngPLATEA8.pngPLATEA9.pngPLATEA10.png

Spoiler

MetalPlaceB2

PLATEB0.pngPLATEB1.pngPLATEB2.pngPLATEB3.pngPLATEB4.pngPLATEB5.pngPLATEB6.pngPLATEB7.pngPLATEB8.pngPLATEB9.pngPLATEB10.pngPLATEB11.pngPLATEB12.pngPLATEB13.png

Spoiler

MetalPlaceC1

PLATEC0.pngPLATEC1.pngPLATEC2.pngPLATEC3.pngPLATEC4.pngPLATEC5.pngPLATEC6.pngPLATEC7.pngPLATEC8.pngPLATEC9.pngPLATEC10.pngPLATEC11.pngPLATEC12.pngPLATEC13.pngPLATEC14.pngPLATEC15.png

Spoiler

MetalPlaceD1

PLATED0.pngPLATED1.pngPLATED2.pngPLATED3.pngPLATED4.pngPLATED5.pngPLATED6.pngPLATED7.pngPLATED8.pngPLATED9.pngPLATED10.pngPLATED11.pngPLATED12.pngPLATED13.png

Spoiler

MetalPlateE3

PLATEE0.pngPLATEE1.pngPLATEE2.pngPLATEE3.pngPLATEE4.pngPLATEE5.pngPLATEE6.pngPLATEE7.pngPLATEE8.pngPLATEE9.pngPLATEE10.pngPLATEE11.pngPLATEE12.pngPLATEE13.pngPLATEE14.png

Spoiler

MetalPlateF

PLATEF0.pngPLATEF1.pngPLATEF2.pngPLATEF3.pngPLATEF4.pngPLATEF5.pngPLATEF6.pngPLATEF7.pngPLATEF8.pngPLATEF9.pngPLATEF10.pngPLATEF11.pngPLATEF11.pngPLATEF12.png

Spoiler

GreenGoo

GREENGOO0.pngGREENGOO1.pngGREENGOO2.pngGREENGOO3.pngGREENGOO4.pngGREENGOO5.pngGREENGOO5.pngGREENGOO7.pngGREENGOO8.pngGREENGOO9.png

MIXEDGOO0.pngMIXEDGOO1.pngMIXEDGOO2.pngMIXEDGOO3.pngMIXEDGOO4.pngMIXEDGOO5.pngMIXEDGOO6.pngMIXEDGOO7.pngMIXEDGOO8.pngMIXEDGOO9.pngMIXEDGOO10.png

Feel free to use them to create your own textures.

On 3/30/2022 at 6:52 AM, Geodesic Dome Enthusiast said:

SKYVNUS1.png

Those are pretty skies, but I feel like it could be better if clouds were to move so they don't recede on the same spot as the mountains in the middle.

Some splatted tekwall4 alternates :)

tekvar5.png.d1f2e8bfde68ba9d74c87f84e34e1230.pngtekvar4.png.d8fd3b81a6ffda9ef200977403449e92.pngtekvar3.png.e420adf6c69a04ec6c2066e58dc6edd8.pngtekvar2.png.9cb3d2385887aa79c878daf756238721.pngtekvar1.png.9b901e3b576aa5fca298b663ddc6c385.png

Edited by kwc
paletted

14 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Now here's [...] textures for Doom

I don't want to come across as harsh, but I really think you would benefit from not simply grabbing random images and shoving them into pallette willy-nilly. Some of these assets certainly could make for good base textures (really not sure how the 3dfx faces could possibly be used, but I digress) - I feel your work would benefit so, so much more from manually editing these assets, especially when it comes to seamlessness, palette conversion, and preservation of details. 

51 minutes ago, kwc said:

Some splatted tekwall4 alternates :)

Always good to have alternatives for textures, but I don't see much difference between these, just very slight shifts and distortions on what is an otherwise low-repetition, very noisy texture. Also there's more than 256 colours per image here, heh. ;)

-----

As a general assessment, I really do think the below is worth reiterating and/or somehow pinning to this thread. 😅

On 10/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, ukiro said:

I'm definitely someone who encourages people to make their own textures, but a general piece of advice—not aimed at anyone in particular but broadly from observing the posts in here over the last few months—is to try mapping with your textures before posting them here, and ask yourself if they work well or if they could use some additional effort. If you're going through the effort of sourcing, scaling, tweaking, tiling, and palette converting stuff for Doom, add that extra step and it'll all be a lot more worthwhile.

Edited by Dragonfly

10 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Always good to have alternatives for textures, but I don't see much difference between these, jsut various little shifts and distortions. Also there's more than 256 colours per image here, heh. ;)

I understand, I'm a big fan of variety in small details (and sunk-cost features :P), I understand it's not a super big deal to most players/mappers, but when I use a lot of one texture, the seams become a lot more apparent. And yeah, the textures aren't indexed -an oversight after working on them- but look pretty much identical when I checked in committing them, I've since updated with indexed textures just for clarity's sake. You're right though, it's very much rough around the edges compared to my previous tekwal4 stuff, definitely a quick-and-dirty type job. 

Edited by kwc

2 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

I've also made this to serve as a shootable switch specifically:

warn_lite.png.02bc2cfca2c68935c69a59623f6f2970.pngwarn_litebrkn.png.994a21ab0131f65c81289edd06a8d48e.png

This is something I've been planning on tackling this month, I think some shootable switch alts and specific shootable trigger stuff will be fun to work with, great work :D

I'm removing this post, hopefully temporarily, to avoid temptation and/or confusion. I didn't exercise good enough judgement before sharing them without permission.

(I sent a message to the author of the post asking for permission to use those. I'll update or remove the post based on the reply. It's probably best to wait until I have results, I was just too excited to share my results)

Edited by ViolentBeetle

59 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

-snip-

These look excellent!

Although the idea of nabbing stuff off of one's artstation page betrays the general grey-area nature of texture-modding in a strange way that leaves me kinda uncomfortable. It's not much different from grabbing textures from other commercial games, something I would do gleefully and have done with done with Darksouls, Doom or Duke, but when it comes to directly grabbing from people's artstation pages, I have resisted the urge in the past. I think I feel this way because the point of artstation is expressly to display their own work, and to use it without permission seems a bit of a raw deal for the artist. I feel sort of weird bringing it up, it's not (can't stress this enough) a dig against yourself or your work and I worry positing doing so as a moral issue in the texture thread may risk a big derail, I guess I just needed to say it. 

Edited by kwc