Is is possible to make a scrolling linedef translucent?

Halfblind

Question

I think that it would be amazing to create a series of linedefs and make them both translucent and scroll-able. This would work wonders for transparent computer screens and waterfalls. I thought that there was a way to create the effect via scripts but, the wiki page said that there was no script for it "Action Specials." Is there a way to make a linedef both transparent and scroll-able. I would prefer using one of the Hexen formats in either Zdoom or Zandronum. Any help would be great, thanks.

4 answers to this question

ZDoom and Zandronum both support UDMF, in which you can make a line translucent by just setting its alpha property to less than 1. (0: invisible; 1: opaque, anything in between: more or less translucent.)

In Hexen, a line can be made translucent with TranslucentLine. If you use it to give it a lineid, you can then make it scroll from a different line with Scroll_Wall, Scroll_Texture_Both, or Scroll_Texture_Model.

Please mark best answer.

It makes those who wish to answer questions lives a little bit easier if we know whether or not the answers in the thread have satisfied the OP.

Thanks Gez, I forgot the mention that I already knew about the various translucent and scroll texture linedef actions. I did not know that you can trigger one linedef by adding another linedef somewhere else and then giving them both the same line ID. Than you so much.

In UDMF I think you can set the translucency of the line directly and also give it a scroll action right there on the line, no scripting required.