Doom 5 (2030) should have/be...

DOOM has amazing arenas that rely on spawn timers and triggers. Enemy placement is a big factor but the developers are seemingly afraid to have rooms start with higher demons already spawned. The only ones that kick into high gear from the start are the last arena from the last level (Argent Dnur), and the I am Vega level arenas. These are my favorites. In between fights there's more doom like enemy placement (like a pinky charging you in a small corridor with a soldier and hell razer behind it). For a sequel, expanding on the ideas from the original, I would fucking love to see a combination of the arenas presented and more classic enemy placement challenge rather than progressive spawning clusterfucks. Not that they aren't fun but it can be expanded upon for more difficulty and fun. The hardest arenas and the most fun imo combine platforming, jump pads, and enough demons on the map that you're forced to strafe though it all basically doing laps. At least thats what I found myself doing to win. All this only applies to nightmare, the game feels very different and more trivial on lower settings.

Basically I want more intricate arenas that rely on platforming and fast movement, more creative enemy placement and challenge, and of course bring on more Doom 2 enemies! Arachnoids are a must, maybe a lesser form of the Cyberdemon that we can fight with other demons spawned! They should use some WADS as inspiration, I became more passionate about the game trying to make shit in Snapmap. Learning that made me see how much better the game can be. For example, Wolfenstein TNO wasn't nearly as creative with its level design and enemy placement as The Old Blood was. TOB properly expanded on the ideas presented in TNO by making it harder in the right way. I just hope there WILL be a Doom 5 and they dont take another decade to make it so I can stop replaying this one.

Lastly, do away with the runes and suit upgrades. Not that theyre all bad (slow motion one is badass), but combined with mastered weapon mods it makes you very overpowered. Which would be fine if the demon count was raised and demanded such upgrades but that never happens. Either make the game really hard so we need the upgrades or rely more on the player skill over upgrades. I happen to like Glory Kills and minor cinematics, this is a modern doom reimagining, not Doom as it was in the 90s. Really loved this game, dunno about anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Voros said:

But Samuel and Olivia are NPCs aren't they? You "talk" with them don't you?

Only in scripted sequences. They don't count.

NPC: Non-Playable Character

They are non-playable and they are characters.

They most certainly are NPCs.

Storywise I don't care as long as the environments are visually appealing. I have some problems with Doom 2016 which I hope they can address, because they are the only thing keeping it from being my favorite game of that year

1) Every big combat section took place in predictable open wide arenas with little to no variety between them, with not many memorable or exciting moments in between aside from the occasional Baron or Summoner, and only made worse by...

2) Every monster while different in design/health/damage/speed, basically behaves the same way except for the bosses and Mancubus. They all rush towards you to do melee attack while shooting fireballs. I get they really want to do the whole gottagofast thing and that's great, it works fine, but when every enemy behaves the same way, attacks similarly and follow a very simple pattern then there is little to no strategy input by the player. There is no priority given to what monster to kill first beyond what is closest to you, rather than using the environment (which again was very samey), available ammo and disposable health, or knowledge of the map because, aside from the similar looking arena it takes place, the map plays no part in it.

3) As shown by this video, the max amount of enemies the game can handle at once is downright pathetic, depending entirely on spawning them as they die rather than carefully placing them as part of the level design, which again, further proves the maps didn't matter much.

4) Minor nitpicks now: 

Still not as fast, watch any Doom 4 video and change the speed to 1.5 or even 1.25 and it feels SO much better.

Don't like the design of the former humans, too bland. Zombies were fine with the weird faceless heads though.

Felt like there was a lot of brown/orange filters, I get its Mars and Hell but even if they were vibrant they could evoke dread.

I didn't really like the music but that is just personal taste, and I don't know if it was just a bug with me but it seems nothing played between fighting arenas so when I was exploring it was all just kind quiet and boring.

Edit: The gibs in the game from explosions are pretty sad looking, they just go *fart* spawning 4 or five bits of flesh and drop to floor.

Doom 4 was excellent but it still has a lot of design problems which I assume are based more on technical limitations from id/Bethesda rather than their own vision for the game, but if they can work those out then Doom 5 could take place in Disney World for all I care but still be one of the best games of this generation.

Edited by Red

3 hours ago, Voros said:

NPC: Non-Playable Character

They are non-playable and they are characters.

They most certainly are NPCs.

I know what NPC means. I'm talking about coming across interactable human NPCs like in Doom 3. Their names appear when you hover your crosshair over them, and they would talk to you when you click the mouse button. This is one of the interesting features that Doom 3 has over Doom 2016.

2 hours ago, Red said:

Storywise I don't care as long as the environments are visually appealing. I have some problems with Doom 2016 which I hope they can address, because they are the only thing keeping it from being my favorite game of that year

1) Every big combat section took place in predictable open wide arenas with little to no variety between them, with not many memorable or exciting moments in between aside from the occasional Baron or Summoner, and only made worse by...

2) Every monster while different in design/health/damage/speed, basically behaves the same way except for the bosses and Mancubus. They all rush towards you to do melee attack while shooting fireballs. I get they really want to do the whole gottagofast thing and that's great, it works fine, but when every enemy behaves the same way, attacks similarly and follow a very simple pattern then there is little to no strategy input by the player. There is no priority given to what monster to kill first beyond what is closest to you, rather than using the environment (which again was very samey), available ammo and disposable health, or knowledge of the map because, aside from the similar looking arena it takes place, the map plays no part in it.

3) As shown by this video, the max amount of enemies the game can handle at once is downright pathetic, depending entirely on spawning them as they die rather than carefully placing them as part of the level design, which again, further proves the maps didn't matter much.

4) Minor nitpicks now: 

Still not as fast, watch any Doom 4 video and change the speed to 1.5 or even 1.25 and it feels SO much better.

Don't like the design of the former humans, too bland. Zombies were fine with the weird faceless heads though.

Felt like there was a lot of brown/orange filters, I get its Mars and Hell but even if they were vibrant they could evoke dread.

I didn't really like the music but that is just personal taste, and I don't know if it was just a bug with me but it seems nothing played between fighting arenas so when I was exploring it was all just kind quiet and boring.

Edit: The gibs in the game from explosions are pretty sad looking, they just go *fart* spawning 4 or five bits of flesh and drop to floor.

Doom 4 was excellent but it still has a lot of design problems which I assume are based more on technical limitations from id/Bethesda rather than their own vision for the game, but if they can work those out then Doom 5 could take place in Disney World for all I care but still be one of the best games of this generation.

I just want to point out, that video from 3) is from Snapmap which has a lower demon cap than whats found in the singleplayer. People like to throw this video around but its not representative of the actual demon limit. 

Another thing Doom 5 needs to do is change the Possessed.

The Possessed are incredibly generic. Plus, their name is rather misleading. I mean come on. You've got a melted, zombie-like creature, and the best name you can come up with for it is "Possessed"?

Behavior-wise, they're your basic, shambling zombie that you see everywhere else. They can only sprint when following a scripted path(like in SnapMap, when following an AI Path/Combat Point set to sprint), which is complete bullshit.

Each Possessed type re-uses the same character model. The zombies in Doom 3 had a variety of skins; there were scientists, maintenance workers, technicians, Marines, and office clerks. You see absolutely none of that with the Possessed. It's always the same scientist with a hole in his head, the same worker with only one arm, the same engineer with a gas tank in his chest… I could go on and on.

Oh, and the Unwilling are a complete waste of space for an enemy. They have the exact same stats as the Possessed Scientist.

The Possessed Soldiers. The only thing that makes these guys a successor to the zombieman is the fact that they are formerly human. Doom 3 had the Pistoleer(a true successor to the zombieman), the Shotgunner(the Shotgun Guy), and the Machine Gunner(aka the Machine Gun Guy). The Possessed Soldiers ALL have plasma guns(despite the fact that the soldiers in the holograms are all carrying Heavy Assault Rifles).

Then there's the Possessed Security, the Shotgun Guy with a shield. He has the same character model as the Soldier, which means he has the exact same plasma gun fused into his arm, but it fires SHOTGUN shells instead. How original.

I'm all for immersion when it comes to the Possessed.

3 hours ago, ATP2555 said:

The Possessed are incredibly generic. Plus, their name is rather misleading. I mean come on. You've got a melted, zombie-like creature, and the best name you can come up with for it is "Possessed"?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Zombieman

The zombieman has the type name MT_POSSESSED in the Doom source code, and the sprite prefix POSS, while the analogous MT_TROOP and TROO are given to the imp. The zombies were called "demon-possessed humans" (or simply "possessed humans") in the Doom Bible (section 7.2), having been "possessed in their sleep".

It will actually be called DOOM 2030 and not Doom 5 ... I think

Edited by A7MAD

Doom 5 should probably set someplace cool like Venus. We're all tired of Phobos & Mars by now and Earth... every game is set on Earth. Doom 5 needs to be groundbreaking and full of violent acid and ammonia hurricanes. Then during the story it can be revealed the reason why Hell technology (hellnology) failed is because it didn't come from hell, it came from heaven. Oh and find cool things from movies as Easter eggs such as Luke Skywalker's hand and Shao Kahn's helmet.

1 minute ago, geo said:

Doom 5 should probably set someplace cool like Venus. We're all tired of Phobos & Mars by now and Earth... every game is set on Earth. Doom 5 needs to be groundbreaking and full of violent acid and ammonia hurricanes. Then during the story it can be revealed the reason why Hell technology (hellnology) failed is because it didn't come from hell, it came from heaven. Oh and find cool things from movies as Easter eggs such as Luke Skywalker's hand and Shao Kahn's helmet.

Venus? That wouldn't make any sense, it's like 350C degrees there. That basically would be hell throughout the entire game! :)

7 minutes ago, CzechMate29200 said:

Venus? That wouldn't make any sense, it's like 350C degrees there. That basically would be hell throughout the entire game! :)

Mars... is -195 degrees F. Don't get me started on Phobos. The moon is covered in a fine dust that would act like quicksand. The reason why Doomguy doesn't jump In Doom 1 is anything moving more than 24 mph - 47 kph could leave Phobos orbit.

Edited by geo