What are some good wads for consistent less than 5 minute maps?

I've always considered the big shift from "easy intro" to "a test of your navigation skills" by e1m5.  I've looked at some cacowards wads and everything just feels "throw too much at you" (slaughterfest?).  I have played one called coffee break.

Zone 300

Zone 400

Doom 404

Demonfear

Khorus’ Speedy Shit

Confinement 256

Congestion 1024

Claustrophobia 1024

Plutinya

Mayhem 2048

1000 Lines CP

1000 Lines CP 2

64kb Vanilla

64kb Limit-removing

Demonic Destruction

Cliptucky Fried Chicken

Scythe (barring a couple maps towards the end)

Scythe 2 (the first half or 2/3, maps tend to get larger toward the end)

Bourgeois Deathmatch

Deathless

Micro-Slaughter Community Project

Congestion 384

50 Monsters

Glaive

Fruit Salad

GOTTAGOFAST

Edit: Forgot to include Swift Death in my list.

Edited by Shepardus

i'd recommend:

Bourgeois Deathmatch

32 piece Cliptucky Fried Chicken Special

A month ago i would've not known a single one, ha-ha!

If you are Zero Master, then literally everything is a less-than-5-minute map.

Edited by Kyka

Countdown to Extinction by Obsidian is a really fun one. I don't remember a level that features over fifty monsters in any of the maps.

50 Monsters by AD_79 is cool too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, do any of these have a lot of custom textures?  The ones I've tried so far look very vanilla but I guess not a whole lot of time is put into short maps. 

1 hour ago, deflatedhissy said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, do any of these have a lot of custom textures?  The ones I've tried so far look very vanilla but I guess not a whole lot of time is put into short maps. 

Most don't have custom textures, but out of the ones listed I know these ones do:
Scythe 2

Micro-Slaughter Community Project

1000 Lines CP 2

Fruit Salad

50 Monsters

1klinecp2 and MSCP use the OTEX texture pack, Scythe 2 and 50 Monsters use various sources including Gothic DM textures, and I'm not sure where Fruit Salad's textures are from (or if they're original).

Also, I'll add Going Down to my recommendations. A few are longer than what you're looking for, but most are pretty compact and can be done under 5 minutes if you play fast. This wad uses mostly vanilla textures (just a few custom signs and such), but it's creative in its use of them (and creative in every other respect, too).

Edit: And how could I forget, Crumpets is another great wad with consistently short maps (and custom textures).

Also try Donuts, which is a pretty recent release using OTEX textures.

Edited by Shepardus

8 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Also try Donuts, which is a pretty recent release using OTEX textures.

That wad actually runs as slowly as some of the first ones in last years' cacowards, any idea why?  The only boom map that's ever given me slowdown on this system (first gen i7, gt 710) is frozen time.

@deflatedhissy

Add Scimitar to your list. The maps are relatively small, and are designed to be finished in under 5 minutes (on average). The maps are also built so you can see part of the next map from the current map. It also uses a number of custom monsters and I think it also has non-stock textures.

9 hours ago, deflatedhissy said:

That wad actually runs as slowly as some of the first ones in last years' cacowards, any idea why?  The only boom map that's ever given me slowdown on this system (first gen i7, gt 710) is frozen time.

I didn't have a problem playing it myself - ran as expected for its size and level of detail (which is to say, smoothly). This was using the dsda-doom source port, in case that's relevant.

I love the aesthetic of joymaps and how they take place in just about every environment other than a typical doom one, are there any other wads like this?  I don't really care about size or whether they were a community project etc.

14 hours ago, Shepardus said:

I didn't have a problem playing it myself - ran as expected for its size and level of detail (which is to say, smoothly). This was using the dsda-doom source port, in case that's relevant.

How on earth do I download that?  On github I can only find pull requests and source code.  I've had trouble with this a lot on github and sourceforge, it's never made obvious where the actual download is.

Edited by deflatedhissy

1 hour ago, deflatedhissy said:

How on earth do I download that?  On github I can only find pull requests and source code.  I've had trouble with this a lot on github and sourceforge, it's never made obvious where the actual download is.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:30 AM, deflatedhissy said:

If youre playing on GZDOOM then is to be expected, Maps with lots of Linedefs and detail tend to kill performance.