Vigor | Now on Idgames

This wad was a long time coming! This was the OG Squonker Squad project, so I hope people can look at how the team came to be!

By the way, I had to reupload the file for a quick fix, please make sure you have the most recent version.

ooh, a scythe-inspired wad. you don't see many of those around (at least, not that i'm aware of)

i'mma start playing this right away, it looks really good!!

edit: just got done with the first 12 maps - i gotta say, i'm absolutely loving this megawad thus far. you guys did an excellent job with it :)

Edited by roadworx

Nice so far (map 03), speedy gameplay and my kind of difficulty on HMP, congrats on the release, muchos kudos

You're awesome, guys! I wish i could make megawads with such speed.
BTW size of RSKY3 seems to be wrong, so it could not be rendered in zdoom correctly
unknown.png

3 minutes ago, Chainie said:

You're awesome, guys! I wish i could make megawads with such speed.
BTW size of RSKY3 seems to be wrong, so it could not be rendered in zdoom correctly
unknown.png

the megawad was made over 8 months on and off. It was not made as fast as our other projects.

Spoiler

MAP08's secret teleporter isn't tagged properly.

Really enjoying some of the scythe references found in this so far!

8 minutes ago, Chainie said:

unknown.png

fixed!

This looks incredible! Gonna be streamed on my channel very soon...

You guys should hmu for a guest map some time btw :(((((

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

This looks incredible! Gonna be streamed on my channel very soon...

You guys should hmu for a guest map some time btw :(((((

:O :O :O :O :O yes!!! :O :O :O :O :O

Yay for the epic release! :D

I had to fix a few broken monster closets on my map, but thankfully that fixed version is now up so please download that before playing MAP19 :O

26 minutes ago, Breezeep said:
  Reveal hidden contents

MAP08's secret teleporter isn't tagged properly.

Really enjoying some of the scythe references found in this so far!

Spoiler

Sent the fix to Egg Boy lol, small result from removing some detail.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy it so far

I'm loving everything about this wad so far, very impressed what you managed to pull off visually!

If it's of any interest, I found a drawsegs overflow HOM in MAP05:

Spoiler

DOOM07.png.68876431cc9626b0d749fd407697d9cd.png

1 minute ago, maxmanium said:

I'm loving everything about this wad so far, very impressed what you managed to pull off visually!

If it's of any interest, I found a drawsegs overflow HOM in MAP05:

Hide contents

DOOM07.png.68876431cc9626b0d749fd407697d9cd.png

there are a small number of these throughout the wad, noticably in map10, and 20. Its one of those things I was a bit more lax on than others, but for the most part the wad is devoid of these.

Great mapset, played through the whole thing tonight!  I love Scythe-esque levels and I'm sure Erik would enjoy this as well.  There are some issue notes in the spoiler.

Spoiler

MAP05 - The imps in sector 124 didn't teleport in, even though the linedef trigger was crossed.
MAP06 - The map layout is doubled for some reason, with the copy being unreachable.
MAP08 - The secret teleport doesn't go anywhere, presumably it was meant for the soulsphere
MAP12 - One of the secrets had nothing in it, aside from acting as a shortcut to the start but I didn't know if that was intentional.  Looking at the editor, there is a deathmatch start and a multiplayer only BFG.
MAP16 - The blue door doesn't seem to work.
MAP19 - The monster closets in the north didn't work.  They look tied to the switch that lowers the yellow key but they never came out.

Edited by Vile

Congrats on the release! I tip my hat to the entire team who created Vigor. The maps look divine!

Just a note that playing this with a dehacked DOOM2.EXE v1.9 in DOSBox, the game crashes when entering MAP02. Interestingly this does not happen in Chocolate Doom.

Z_CheckHeap: block size does not touch the next block

You need to hit the exit switch in MAP01. Using the -warp parameter actually gives the more obscure error "Z_CT at w_wad.c:510".

31 minutes ago, Vile said:

Great mapset, played through the whole thing tonight!  I love Scythe-esque levels and I'm sure Erik would enjoy this as well.  There are some issue notes in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

MAP05 - The imps in sector 124 didn't teleport in, even though the linedef trigger was crossed.
MAP06 - The map layout is doubled for some reason, with the copy being unreachable.
MAP08 - The secret teleport doesn't go anywhere, presumably it was meant for the soulsphere
MAP12 - One of the secrets had nothing in it, aside from acting as a shortcut to the start but I didn't know if that was intentional.  Looking at the editor, there is a deathmatch start and a multiplayer only BFG.
MAP16 - The blue door doesn't seem to work.
MAP19 - The monster closets in the north didn't work.  They look tied to the switch that lowers the yellow key but they never came out.

The MAP19 monster cloister issue was “partially” resolved after you downloaded it.  I goofed up more than once with that same set of closets so there will likely be another patch in the morning now that it’s all fixed XD.  I hope you liked what you experienced though!

I'm surprised that my goofy Scythe-inspired megawad inspired people to make maps of their own. That reminds me: I need to get back to work on GOTTAGOFAST 2.

I played through it real quick and I must say that I'm impressed by the level of vanilla-compatible detail. A few of the design elements remind me of Scythe 2. Some of the fights were pretty fun as well. MAP06 is my favorite in that respect. 

However, I felt a large number of the fights were overtuned. They're unreasonably difficult and leave almost no room for error, and there's also a disturbing lack of health in most of the levels. Oftentimes it feels more like Swift Death than Scythe. I started to feel this way around MAP03. I had no idea how to properly deal with that archvile in the pit due to the splash damage from rockets, so I just plinked him to death with the shotgun. These feelings became even more obvious in MAP04. No matter what strategy I used, I kept getting overwhelmed by the chaingunners and archviles that would teleport in, so I just turned the whole thing into a UV Pacifist run. MAP10 was where I really got angry and frustrated. I kept dying mere seconds after the level began because it was dark, I had no idea where I was supposed to go, and I kept getting overwhelmed by all the monsters that kept teleporting in. In my last run of it, I managed to get farther. It was then I noticed a distinct lack of ammo in the level. Also, I hate, hate, hate the evil marines. I hated them in Scythe 2 and I hate them here. I was enjoying the slaughter fun of MAP15 until they showed up and instantly killed me.

Those were my first impressions. I'm not saying it's bad by any means. It's actually quite good. I just wish it granted a bit more leniency.

6 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

EDLx2vf.png

Happy birthday, @T.Will!

Vigor is a 20 map vanilla compatible megawad with a focus on fast and frantic gameplay. Inspired by @E.M.'s "Gotta Go Fast," Vigor is Scythe styled by design, a good number of the maps on display were made within a short period of time and feature tight, punchy gameplay. Vigor was tested in Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, and DSDA-Doom (complevel 2). Difficulties are implemented. Mouselook, jumping, and crouching should be disabled if you're playing on a port with those features. If you are playing on Chocolate Doom, you can load the Dehacked normally, or use the "-dehlump" command to load it directly from inside the WAD. A full map list and more can be found in the text file.

Mappers:

@Bobby "J
@DCG Retrowave

@Egg Boy

@Juza

@mxbobbie49

@Skronkidonk

@T.Will

@ZeMystic

Playtesters:

@Aurelius

@AD_79

Download: Vigor_RC1.zip

I can't help but wonder, what's the whole process of making and releasing a megawad like this?

Played the first four maps, they were superb. Did you decide to make this after playing Doom 2 In Spain Only? The texturing and midis appear very familiar ;)