DBP45: Vrack Botanicals

Neat, who doesn't like space themed techbases. 

MAP01: Kush Control by @40oz - Fair to say that the opening vista is very inviting. In general this is a little bit on the mixed side. I must confess that this map is probably on the easy side even without the SSG (As such it is questionable that it is given right off the bat). Still this was pleasant enough, I do like the area with the switch that opens up the red key, probably the most tense and atmospheric part (Though it is a map01 so don't expect to be riddled with bullets). An ok opener that is best at the start and end (red key approach onwards).

MAP02: Xerak Station by @JadingTsunami

An interesting little gimmick to this one where you have a choice of what key/weapon you want to grab to reach the end goal of the yellow key. This one is pretty serviceable, nothing spectacular but the combat on the whole was fairly entertaining. Not sure if it is possible to get 100% kills/secrets here. Not that it is a fundamental issue of course.

1 hour ago, cannonball said:

Not sure if it is possible to get 100% kills/secrets here. Not that it is a fundamental issue of course.

Yes, using either path one can achieve 100% kills and secrets.

35 minutes ago, Krenium said:

Can someone shed some light on what Vrack means? Google is not helping here

Vrack is a series of large techbase maps which increase in detail across each entry. They use a lot of silver and variations on silver textures. You should take a look at them for they are quite enjoyable.

Made a little more progress.

I liked Map03, it felt quite quaint and neatly presented (A nice marriage of the dominant silver and the botanic greens). Wasn’t sure that the rocket launcher was necessary until I reached the exit. There was a pair of hell knights behind a door that felt unnecessary, but that is my only complaint. A very fine map.

Stopped on Map04 as it seems to be a rather lengthy number and skimmed through the rest, the whole package does look rather mixed with some maps looking pretty neat and some that are less so (To put it kindly). I will try to play fully through some more of these at some point.

Edited by cannonball

9 hours ago, cannonball said:

Made a little more progress.

I liked Map03, it felt quite quaint and neatly presented (A nice marriage of the dominant silver and the botanic greens). Wasn’t sure that the rocket launcher was necessary until I reached the exit. There was a pair of hell knights behind a door that felt unnecessary, but that is my only complaint. A very fine map.

Stopped on Map04 as it seems to be a rather lengthy number and skimmed through the rest, the whole package does look rather mixed with some maps looking pretty neat and some that are less so (To put it kindly). I will try to play fully through some more of these at some point.

Thanks for playing, I like reading these little write ups. Map 03 is interesting to me because its kind of an atypical map for Fryuko as he usually does longer and more set piece based stuff, so its cool to see him do something a bit out of the ordinary and pull it off so well. Very pretty map too. And yes, Map 04 is a long one - it, Map 08 and maybe Map 09 are the longer ones in the set.

Map 3 is my favourite, great blend of visuals and gameplay.

Map 5 has a great layout, giving the player a lot of manouverability in the central area