Make a map in 1 hour & beat the map above you - speedmapping fun thread

Not too hard a map to finish though I didn't do it 100%.

DynaPipe.zip

also:

Name: GrayStation

IWAD: DooM 2 [MAP01]

Format: BooM (-complevel 9) (map may be possible to finish in vanilla since I used only vanilla effects)

Tested With: GZDooM + WooF

Music: Megaman Battle Network 3's Net theme

Screensies!

Spoiler

GrayStation.jpg.efd25ad9a493c94f19beaccd392134f2.jpg

Downloadies!

GrayStation.zip

Hey OP, love the idea. Currently working on my submission. I'm curious if this will be compiled as a wad if \ when you retire the thread? If so, I'd love to help; I have a lot of experience with compiling clean wads :D

Anyway, love speed maps, so this thread is such an awesome concept!

Edit

Here's my level, sorry it took me so long to get to making it.

Film Starring Gregory Peck

Time made: 1 hour and 15 minutes

Theme: CChest style

Map: Map01

Music: E1M9 Doom (my favorite Doom 1 midi :D)

Compatibility: MBF21 

Peck.zip

Here's the demo of graystation as well!

Fun map.

graystation.lmp-00002.zip

edit for two things:

1. Yes, it's another Dusty map that has a title that is an obscure Bob Dylan reference.

2. The demo is recorded in MBF21. Since this will be compiled, it will all have to be played in MBF21 anyway - I figure I should start now. This was recorded in Woof! if it matters.

Edited by Dusty_Rhodes

Quite interesting initiative!

I guess I'm beating the level made by @Dusty_Rhodes whenever it's ready, and then starting to work on my own map.

This sounds like fun!  Guess I'm off to make one

Edit:

Name: Server Room

IWAD: DOOM 2 [MAP01]

Format: BOOM (-complevel 9) (does not use any Boom features though)

Tested With: BOOM (but would work on anything pretty much)

Time: 58 minutes

One hour isn't a lot for my OCD level of mapping.  I had envisioned a nice outdoor area but it was too much and I had to cut that (and this also messes with the doortraks) but hey, it gives it a shovelware feeling :D

Pretty newbie level map, anyone should be able to UV-Max it.

Screens

Spoiler

DOOM01.png.5e35afb4eb7ff85119387e42ae0c0847.pngDOOM02.png.9d4f81d1165dea902b6f169e6c27a9a2.pngDOOM03.png.a453def8b83fcba1c0ffc705ab0edd6e.png

I'll do a video once Astro X has finished the map.

Map: serverroom.zip

Edited by Gibbon

I guess I'll make one following up @Gibbon's map then. Definitely a very interesting community speedmap idea!

EDIT: Map is done!

Name: Rage Rampage

IWAD: DOOM2.WAD [MAP01]

Format: BOOM

Tested with: prboom+ 2.5.1.4, GZDoom 4.6.1

Time: 1 hour (had a few seconds to spare, the final texturing pass was super rushed lmao)

Download: ragerampage.zip

This was super fun! I'm relatively new to mapping (I've been messing about with Doom Builder for years but never really made a proper map until recently) and this was a rush! Trying to throw together something in an hour was incredibly stressful but satisfying once everything was finished. The texturing is not good at all since I made the mapflow and general gameplay a priority.

This is a small techbase run-n-gun map where you grab the chaingun, go through the first door, hold down the trigger and don't let go! Just follow the enemies and they'll take you through the map. No secrets, just you, your chaingun, and a bunch of hitscanners (and a nice surprise or two). Use those barrels!

A hint just in case someone gets stuck at the red key door:

Spoiler

You're meant to go through the window in the red key room facing the red key door. There's a line there that'll open the hallway behind the door and let you keep going.

Screenshots

Spoiler

Builder_inpxaznHib.png.58cadb135ba401ef2b3849c78dc15ed4.png

Builder_Ue7sNlfklY.png.cd0c56f6502a723b4de56fa3a78ef649.png

Builder_VbGICzL8EW.png.aff81c440acc6e37f63875bb803bc18b.png

And here is my recording of my playthrough through @Gibbon's map. I liked it, the secrets were funny, and the detailing was nice!

Playthrough:

Overall, this was fun! Can't wait to see other people's maps!

Edited by SirPootis
Added my map submission, Rage Rampage, and also uploaded my playthrough of Gibbon's map

Thanks @DynamiteKaitorn for the demo and for the map and thanks @Gibbon for the map.

I can see that folks began to self-organize which is good and the order has been established so far - so it is @DynamiteKaitorn, @Dusty_Rhodes, @Astro X and @Gibbon - each beating your predecessor's map. You don't need to wait for the person above you to submit the map - you can submit your map and submit demo/video of your predecessor once it's ready, in a separate post (which is the approach @Gibbon took).

For the future - there is no need to "reserve a slot" - just build a map whenever you have time, submit it and then record a demo of the map above you. So it's fine for @SirPootis to submit a map and record a demo of @Gibbon's map but a completely new person can also do this - in this case @SirPootis will record that person's map instead of @Gibbon's. For that reason I think it makes sense to build your map first, have it ready for submission and then have a look whatever map is last in the thread and record a playthrough for it.

Remember that you can only spend 1 hour mapping!

4 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Hey OP, love the idea. Currently working on my submission. I'm curious if this will be compiled as a wad if \ when you retire the thread? If so, I'd love to help; I have a lot of experience with compiling clean wads :D

I didn't intend to compile those maps in a wad originally but if there is general interest and desire I don't rule this out, in such case any help would be appreciated :)

The general idea of this thread was to see how much of a map you can build in 1 hour, I think the quality of the maps will be low in general and I treat it more as a mapping learning exercise than a community project. The idea of demos/videos is to make sure everyone gets feedback and I think seeing other people play your maps is the best feedback you can get.

I can see that the thread is gaining some momentum so let's see how it goes!

I feel sorry for whoever will have to max my bullshit slaughtermap, but... them's the rules. Sucks to be you :)

Woodnbone.wad

Will edit this post with the run of... whoever's map is my turn to play. @SirPootis I'm assuming?

EDIT: @SirPootis thelokk deep lore: I suck at demos, so you get a YT video. Fun little map, early jump on hitscanners let me UV max it with no damage. And, as Batman (or Superman, or some other capes**t) would say, my job here is done! You can add this to the pile @jacnowak

Edited by Thelokk

@jacnowak I love the idea of seeing what can be done in an hour of mapping, I actually released a wad under that premise , so I'm a big fan. And yeah, the maps won't be perfect, not ne any means. But that's definitely part of the fun when it comes to speedmapping. 

Sorry about not uploading a wad, it was late when I started getting resources, so I never placed any linedefs! I'll get to playing @DynamiteKaitorn's level and submitting my own after work today.

q.zip

1-hour-demo.zip

My contribution to this I guess. It's a pretty small and simple map for Ultimate Doom, I spent a bit too much time on looks and didn't really get to include much gameplay. But yeah, its just a good old nuclear plant map, something I surprisingly haven't made before. This is my first speed map, and I hope for a first its fine. I had to go a bit over 60 minutes sadly to make the map finishable and to do a little bit of testing. Overall probably 65 minutes.

Ok, attached the demo now. I liked this level quite a bit, it was very enjoyable and a good level of challenge since I could play it using vanilla controls.

Edited by Melemesh
Added demo

4 hours ago, Thelokk said:

I feel sorry for whoever will have to max my bullshit slaughtermap, but... them's the rules. Sucks to be you :)

Woodnbone.wad

Will edit this post with the run of... whoever's map is my turn to play. @SirPootis I'm assuming?

Didn't manage to max it, but had a good few goes and died a bunch trying to kill everything.  Anyway here's a recording of a successful run, and here's me dropping my own silliness into the thread.

Name: The One Hour Wedding Cake

IWAD: DOOM 2 [MAP01]

Format: MBF21

Tested With: dsda-doom v0.24.2

Time: 60 minutes (almost went over because on a play test I found I'd left the exit teleporter not as a teleporter)

It should be pretty easy, its just a gentle little jaunt.  I need to get better at building traps faster.

woodnbone-completed-demo.zip

1-hour-wedding-cake.zip

OK, so the maps we have so far:

removed list of maps from this post as it is in OP now, so that I don't have to update them in two places

I'll update the list once more maps/demos are submitted.

I want to make sure that everyone gets a recorded playthrough of their map.

I like the variety of the maps so far :)

Edited by jacnowak

@El Inferno elspdemo.zip

Here's a messy UV-max. The beginning is definitely the hardest part, earned me quite a few deaths when practicing. Highlights for me are the tiny bits of platforming and the HK fight. The marble temple at the end felt a little clunky to approach, but aside from that this map was good fun!

Map Title: Way Grimoire
Specifics: Doom 2, map01, cl 9
Difficulty settings are implemented
Music: Vile Flesh map18 because I couldn't think of anything better
Custom textures are from cc4-tex & me, the sky is from Eradrop's sky box pack
Screenies:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220329_225015.jpg.f108b1a567725b31b0e5c4eb93a829d6.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20220329_225045.jpg.0ae1d4a1af922179e5057c60887a0543.jpg

I went a little over one hour balancing the fights for lower difficulties, which I think is okay, considering how that's optional for speedmaps anyways. A slaughter-ish kinda map, the title is a remnant of an idea where you could choose the monsters you'd encounter in the final battle, which I realized belatedly was too ambitous for a 1-hour speedmap. UV is definitely aimed at more experienced players, so you might wanna consider playing on HMP or HNTR. The difficulty is pretty comparable to ElInferno's submission.
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10l5v6Ap3WbvlhSvf7GdpTzmKlgkRXSB2/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Yumheart

@Yumheart WayGrimoire.zip(whoops that was the wrong one this is the right one) Very fun map, only took me 3 attempts. The AV ambush caught me on my blind run, and I caught a stray rocket on my 2nd.

My submission: DemonD.zip

Map Name: Demon Decimation

IWAD: Doom2

Format: Boom

Textures: 32in24-15_tex_v2.wad

Music: Battle of Chaos by Eris

If you like challenging slaughter, beat it on UV, if you prefer a milder combat challenge, beat it on HMP.

Edited by ScrappyMcDoogerton
wrong file

12 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

@Yumheart WayGrimoire.zip Very fun map, only took me 3 attempts. The AV ambush caught me on my blind run, and I caught a stray rocket on my 2nd.

Can't access the file for some reason, DW says it can't locate it. Try uploading it on Google Drive again, perhaps?
Edit: Thanks, it works now, but it ends with a death, which I suppose isn't intentional.

Edited by Yumheart

@Paf If the map was so annoying to play you should have waited for a more fun map to be posted. I only spent 1 hour on the map, I'm not looking for criticism about the map design, I'm looking to watch someone play a map I made. Yes, with more time I could have addressed all the issues you posted about, but I still suck at mapping so it was difficult for me to even make something playable with just an hour. Other maps posted here have similar issues to mine, nobody cares we're here to have fun.

I'm sorry the map I made in 1 hour doesn't live up to your lofty standards if you're looking for a masterpiece what are you doing in a thread for 1-hour speedmaps?

58 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

@Paf If the map was so annoying to play you should have waited for a more fun map to be posted. I only spent 1 hour on the map, I'm not looking for criticism about the map design, I'm looking to watch someone play a map I made. Yes, with more time I could have addressed all the issues you posted about, but I still suck at mapping so it was difficult for me to even make something playable with just an hour. Other maps posted here have similar issues to mine, nobody cares we're here to have fun.

I'm sorry the map I made in 1 hour doesn't live up to your lofty standards if you're looking for a masterpiece what are you doing in a thread for 1-hour speedmaps?

(deleted original response because it was really dumb and i just didn't feel like taking the blame at first)

Edited by Paf
deleted orignal response because it was really dumb and i just didn't feel like taking the blame at first

@ScrappyMcDoogerton I just played your map too, and for something made in an hour, I found it pretty fun. Played on HMP because I tried it on UV and immediately noped out lol.

I liked the fight with the Imps and Revenants, I'd try running from the Revs and get punished for running myself into a corner.

I meant to continue the thread, but I got a little too into my map and went over the time limit by like 40 minutes, haha. I'll give it another shot soon

Name: Blood Pond

IWAD: Doom2, MAP01

Format: Boom (-complevel 9) Tested in GZDOOM 4.7.1. 

Music: "On a Sea of Lava" by Myrgharok from Ultimate MIDI Pack
Sky: From Mek's Box o' Skies

Screenshot:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220329_220624.png?widt

Here's my playthrough (unedited so you can watch me die a few times and make poor decisions):

Spoiler

Edited by Death Bear

1 hour ago, BigBoy91 said:

Any plans on turning this into a megawad?

Considering this random experiment is getting more traction than some community projects of late, I'd say it's a pretty good idea. 

Submission: 15

Map Name: No Room for Error
IWAD: Doom2
Format: Boom
Textures: 32in24-15_tex_v2 (not included in the attached file!)
Music: Icarus Alien Vanguard MAP20

I gave this a shot. I'm quite slow when it comes to mapping (and you'll see that with this map's length), but it turned out ok. I stopped drawing at the 58 minute mark, and then tested and balanced it a bit for the next 10 minutes.

Playthrough of Death Bear's Blood Pond

Edited by NinthBurn
tex link

14 hours ago, Paf said:

I actually forgot to state everything and stuff, so here:

MAP01.wad

IWAD: doom2.wad

Format: Vanilla (maybe limit-removing, I forgot.)

Textures: none

Music: E1M1

I'll test NinthBurn's map in a minute (with a demo)

Edited by Paf

Would it be possible for me to resubmit a new map? The one I made yesterday I felt was really bad and I wasn't satisfied with it, plus I went over the time limit, plus it was for Doom 1 and that caused some confusion. The one I made today I think is way better, I didn't go over the time limit and it's for Doom 2.