[Community Project] Doom 2 Minus Doom (30 maps complete!))

Posted (edited)

@janiform hey, i was the dude who submitted evil hidden in plain sight (map17). when this gets released could u make it so the credits shows my current username instead of the one i originally published it as? or maybe make the credit be somethin like "scientifikgenius/stridertech" or smthn like that? do lmk

Edited by stridertech

On 2/13/2024 at 5:53 PM, janiform said:

@SilverMinerLooking good! That's a good sector tree.

@EmoLevelDesignerThanks for playing @Eon Toad's map! I agree that it's a good one.

Okay, this is my last try to contact @Anarkzie, @NeedHealth, and @Fryuko. Please tell me if you're still planning to submit a map for the slot you signed up for! If not, I'll open up those slots again on Friday, 2/16.

Sorry I'm just seeing this now, did not mean to blank you. If the slot has not been taken i will contact you tomorrow with a progress update.

@Rorix Great map! I love the interconnectedness and the moody lighting. Great use of the Doom 2 texture set - especially those small crates, which are a use of the textures I've never seen before! The secrets also use the textures well. I noticed a missing lower texture inside a mancubus closet early on - it's linedef 2255. Thanks for your three submissions to this project - they're high quality and each one maintains an individual identity.

@stridertech No problem, I've updated the main post with your new username.

@Anarkzie MAP06 isn't available anymore, but if you think your map could work for a MAP16 (city episode), it's all yours!

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2024 at 8:37 PM, Rorix said:

it has to have a crusher, doesn't it?

You realise the OP said maps shouldn't be remakes of the OG maps, right ?

Anyway, once again a pretty good map. janiform made a good summary of my thoughts. One small thing though, the secret outside can be reached by strafe-running, without raising the bridge.

Anyway, here's the midi. It's about as reminiscent of In the Dark as your map is reminiscent of the Chasm Crusher (I am very stupid). Much less long tho.

Willits Whispers

Edited by Demonic Meatball

Map 06 is done. I fixed the outdoor secret, and added some extra armor at the start; the map felt a little too difficult for map 6.

Posted (edited)
On 1/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, BluePineapple72 said:

2. For mapper's ease I'd create a texture resource that replaces all of the Doom 1 textures and flats with pink. It'd be fairly easy to pull off. All you'd need to do would be to duplicate the 'void' texture in slade and rename it to every single texture you don't want used. That way when you open up builder the doom 1 textures will be replaced by the placeholder.

@janiform kinda too late into the project to re-suggest this old idea from early on, but i want to lift this back up just in case you might consider it. it would be easier for people to help fix mistakes or for new additions to build without doom 1 tex. i could try and make the placeholder texture for you if you want :) it's a good idea and would help for convenience. 

Edited by stridertech

I already notified janiform about this, but I am relinquishing my claim to the Map 22 slot.

With family and work commitments this month, I won't be able to spend much time on my map, and with the deadline less than 4 weeks away, I wanted to give someone else the chance to claim the slot and make a map for this project.

I wish everyone good luck with the project. This concept behind this project intrigued me and I am interested to see the finished product. Best wishes everyone!

@janiform  ah no hard feelings, I've got nothing that will work for a city map. Look forward to seeing how the project turns out though.

Posted (edited)

@Rorix @stridertechThanks! I haven't had time to test these updates yet, but I've updated the OP to mark them complete/update the links.

@Forgotten SoulIt's yours! Also, I've updated the OP to mark your MAP12 complete.

@Demonic MeatballGreat track, tasetfully minimal, very Princesque.

@AnarkzieWell, "city map" really just means a map that conceivably fits with RSKY2 - it doesn't need to be a map like Downtown or whatever. Either way, I don't think I'll have time this month to finish a map, so the MAP16 slot is open.

@SilverMinerHave you seen Forgotten Soul's post on page 13 of this thread? I think they've figured out the issue with the sector in your map.

Edited by janiform

On 3/7/2024 at 8:27 PM, janiform said:

@AnarkzieWell, "city map" really just means a map that conceivably fits with RSKY2 - it doesn't need to be a map like Downtown or whatever. Either way, I don't think I'll have time this month to finish a map, so the MAP16 slot is open.

I'll give slot 16 a try and let you know how I get along.

6 hours ago, DoctorNuriel said:

Hi, I'm afraid I'm stepping out of the project - life priorities at the moment have changed.

Good luck to all!

Don't mind if I sub in for MAP26, then? I've got some ideas for Library Hell.

Posted (edited)

We're 16 days from the deadline! Just a quick update request for the following mappers who have either submitted WIPs or haven't submitted anything yet:

MAP05 - @Kuro_mahoh
MAP11- @big smoke

MAP16 - @Anarkzie
MAP18 - @GamingGargoyle You posted a great WIP in December: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2740020 Any updates?
MAP25 - @RileyXY1 Have you had a chance to check Demonic Meatball's feedback re: doors in your map?: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2692735

MAP26 - @PasokonDeacon
MAP28 - @Andrea Rovenski
MAP31 (secret exit to MAP32) - @Bochnik Chleba
MAP32 - @SilverMiner Did you see this post from Forgotten Soul? I think they figured out the sector issue in your map: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2772363

Regarding @Forgotten Soul's MAP22:

This is a really fun map with a definite Sandy vibe! It feels like an epic journey, with spaces that are transformed as you go. The secrets are well-integrated and fun, especially the secret key. Great texturing and surreal visuals. Good work integrating the Wolf3D textures. Two things I noticed:

• Can you please add some courtesy DM starts?
  • Linedef 1841 is misaligned but that may be intentional.
Edited by janiform

On 8/27/2023 at 2:43 PM, Demonic Meatball said:

I was in a bit of a hurry last time, so I didn't mention everything :

@RileyXY1 MAP 25 : I get what you're trying to avoid here with those big blocs over the doors,

Reveal hidden contents

407288214_Capturedcran2023-08-27201853.png.33e42944af5486faf474c949f82e8cc4.png

but the usual trick for this is to put the door inside the wall, like here.

Reveal hidden contents

190087608_Capturedcran2023-08-11215840.png.ed5e5a5c1dd7371d4a902b522b769d35.png

@Generic Doomer MAP 29 : - I notice you love your pop-up monsters. Here's a trick to get them to pop up even faster : Using a linedef that lowers the floor to the highest neighbouring floor in these situations basically confuses the engine into instantly raising the floor !

- For some reason the damaging floor surrounding the central island is mud, and man does it feel wierd to take 20 damage from walking in mud. Could you maybe put that as lava ?

- The final fight doesn't start as intended : when you move nothing happens. flipping the lindefs seems to solve the problem.

- I don't understand why or how, but the revenant ledges are broken : they don't lower, like ever.

I would need to rebuild the entire map.

D2MD25 v6.zip

This is a new version of my map. Now monsters can no longer open the blue key door from the other side and a second Arch-Vile was added to the Yellow Skull room in UV and Nightmare. Two extra medkits have also been added for UV and Nightmare as well in the same area.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 8:21 PM, janiform said:

We're 16 days from the deadline! Just a quick update request for the following mappers who have either submitted WIPs or haven't submitted anything yet:

MAP05 - @Kuro_mahoh
MAP11- @big smoke

MAP16 - @Anarkzie
MAP18 - @GamingGargoyle You posted a great WIP in December: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2740020 Any updates?
MAP25 - @RileyXY1 Have you had a chance to check Demonic Meatball's feedback re: doors in your map?: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2692735

MAP26 - @PasokonDeacon
MAP28 - @Andrea Rovenski
MAP32 - @SilverMiner Did you see this post from Forgotten Soul? I think they figured out the sector issue in your map: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2772363

This is a really fun map with a definite Sandy vibe! It feels like an epic journey, with spaces that are transformed as you go. The secrets are well-integrated and fun, especially the secret key. Great texturing and surreal visuals. Good work integrating the Wolf3D textures. Two things I noticed:

Fixed this bugs.I edited original post with new version of map.

I love when someone likes my maps:)

Edited by Forgotten Soul

On 3/15/2024 at 8:51 PM, janiform said:

MAP05 - @Kuro_mahoh
MAP11- @big smoke

MAP16 - @Anarkzie

MAP26 - @PasokonDeacon
MAP28 - @Andrea Rovenski

Screenshot_1115.png?ex=6609c22f&is=65f74

still working on it... 

im trying to finally finish this map in the next few days

10 hours ago, big smoke said:

Screenshot_1115.png?ex=6609c22f&is=65f74

still working on it... 

im trying to finally finish this map in the next few days

Damn,this looks good!

On 3/7/2024 at 11:27 PM, janiform said:

Have you seen Forgotten Soul's post on page 13 of this thread? I think they've figured out the issue with the sector in your map.

okay, here's a V2, I expect this to be less buggy

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/569199065246728259/1219325313713045594/d2minusd32v2.wad?ex=660ae430&is=65f86f30&hm=04c068fae1578e739b69a57cdecb3c4f7ec0063b978ea25f7678c6273d98d1e8&

@RileyXY1 Thanks for the update! I'm going to go ahead and mark this complete, but feel free to post if you have any updates!

@Forgotten Soul Thanks for the update!

@big smoke Looking good! Very tasteful texturing and lighting.

@SilverMiner Thanks for the update! I'm going to go ahead and mark this complete, but feel free to post if you have any updates!

We're up to 25 completed maps!

Posted (edited)

MAP25 is fully completed unless anyone discovers any additional exploits. Unfortunately the cubes above the doors will not be removed, as I can't do that without building a whole new map from scratch, as they're too ingrained into the level design for me to remove.

Edited by RileyXY1

MAP11 - dead battery

here is my map 

name: dead battery 

(its a mostly abandoned power station with nukage everywhere)

music: Always Watching -Lippeth (plutonia midi pack)

co-op starts and difficulty balancing are implemented 

if any changes are needed let me know.

Posted (edited)

@Bochnik Chleba Looking good!

@big smoke Really cool map! Great use of a variety of textures in a unified way. Combat is lively and the difficulty is just right for the map slot. I love the ruined structure at the center of the map, and the crate storage area

Spoiler

with the nested secrets.

A few things:

• Please add some courtesy DM starts
  • The single-barrel shotgun is not allowed in this project
  • The forbidden texture MIDGRATE is used in a few places
  • Sector 0 uses two forbidden flats, but given that it's an unopenable doorway with a length of 8 it's not a big deal
Edited by janiform