What are some bad map tropes?

Havok

13 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

If I load up a "5 to 10 minute" map and see a monster count higher than 150 there's a likelihood I will be immediately quitting when I enter the next room and see 40 imps clumped together.

It's not exactly a terrible trope as much as it that I personally don't dig that kinda jazz ("don't dig" is underselling it, violently adverse is a better term).

Hey, that sounds like fun to me. :P

Slaughter maps. I don't know, I've always found them pointless-ish.

Some other ones for me would be Romero troll rooms and questionable Revenant placement. (example: the latter half of Scythe 2)

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Maps that have an exit. What's up with that shit? If you're confident your map is good, then the player should have no reason to want to leave it. Putting an exit is a sign of lack of confidence in your skills as a mapper. 🗿

Oh man, same thing with maps that have keys, why would you lock people out of sections of your map? It just feels like a useless endeavor to me and shows that you don't want people seeing what you've made.

34 minutes ago, HeatedChocolate said:

Oh man, same thing with maps that have keys, why would you lock people out of sections of your map? It just feels like a useless endeavor to me and shows that you don't want people seeing what you've made.

Should've replaced "keys" with "secrets"

Starter Doom II maps that always use excess shades of vanilla brown. That stuff is painfully boring and is the polar opposite of what Doom 1 is. Anyone who bitches about the lack of color in MMSs should probably have taken more lessons from the first Doom.

2 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Starter Doom II maps that always use excess shades of vanilla brown. That stuff is painfully boring and is the polar opposite of what Doom 1 is.

Have you played Spectrum? Good stuff.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:57 AM, baja blast rd. said:

There is a reason this map is bad but it might be subtle. 

Now it's only a matter of time before ZeroMaster beats/speedruns it.

6 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Should've replaced "keys" with "secrets"

Indeed - personally I'm more annoyed than entertained by secrets in maps I'm playing. Ironically, I found that I enjoy putting in secrets and designing complex layouts when mapping myself - makes it feel like I'm truly building a world.