[Boom/cl9+] Perquisite Strata X - A demo compatible port of PSX-esxclusive levels!

Hello.
Awesome work!
No bugs, no misaligned textures, no pain.

Just smooth memories from my old PSX... Thanks!

Tested on GZDoom, UV.

Some videos:

Uploaded a new version! Fixed a texturing error in Twilight Descends, and now the Nightmare Spectres no longer drop ammo.

Now I've also fixed a couple linedefs in other maps.

Edited by Jakub Majewski

Spoiler

Levels are directly converted from the contents of the original CD, and are now utilising the textures found in the Doom 2 IWAD. Missing textures were either ported, or recreated using Doom 2 assets.

While this is a cool project, doing this still isn't legal.
So demo compatibility will only work as far as casual playthroughs go, because this won't come through DSDA (and you won't really be able to see this make it into idgames either). Just giving you a friendly heads-up.

3 minutes ago, Daniel, the NCR Veteran said:

While this is a cool project, doing this still isn't legal.
So demo compatibility will only work as far as casual playthroughs go, because this won't come through DSDA (and you won't really be able to see this make it into idgames either). Just giving you a friendly heads-up.

Well, as said in the OP, other mods aimed at recreating the PSX levels exist, and some of them are even on idgames. In addition, I've noticed that mods using verbatim or slightly modified IWAD resources seem to be acceptable, and given that my WAD is not a 1:1 copy of the CD's contents, and merely an approximation(sectors had to be heavily modified, textures now point to IWAD's, had to use dehacked for the monsters), I don't think I am participating in direct piracy. So, maybe this one will get a pass. Will have to wait and see though.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, Jakub Majewski said:

Well, as said in the OP, other mods aimed at recreating the PSX levels exist, and some of them are even on idgames. In addition, I've noticed that mods using verbatim or slightly modified IWAD resources seem to be acceptable, and given that my WAD is not a 1:1 copy of the CD's contents, and merely an approximation(sectors had to be heavily modified, textures now point to IWAD's, had to use dehacked for the monsters), I don't think I am participating in direct piracy. So, maybe this one will get a pass. Will have to wait and see though.

Hey, yeah, while I think this is cool, I'm not 100% about uploading it to DSDA. If you can get this accepted by idgames, then I'll feel more comfortable uploading it, otherwise I don't think I'll put it on DSDA either, sorry. :/

2 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

Hey, yeah, while I think this is cool, I'm not 100% about uploading it to DSDA. If you can get this accepted by idgames, then I'll feel more comfortable uploading it, otherwise I don't think I'll put it on DSDA either, sorry. :/

Thanks for the reply. I might consider uploading it to idgames, but before I do that, I think it would be best to ensure that there are no bugs or other problems. Might need some more testing, as MAP05 seems to cause desyncing at times. And well, The Lost Episode is up on idgames, and it contains the console levels as well, so maybe it will get a pass too.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my new favourite way to play the console levels in regular DOOM. How did you manage to get the fire skybox working in game?

Edited by UnluckySpade7

Finished playing this today and it was super fun! Probably would not have experienced these levels without this mod. Thanks for requesting this in my thread!

Edited by thelamp

8 hours ago, thelamp said:

Finished playing this today and it was super fun! Probably would not have experienced these levels without this mod. Thanks for requesting this in my thread!

Thanks a lot for playing! You managed to uncover a few errors and oversights, which I managed to fix. For now, I will make final adjustments and prepare for an idgames release. In fact, I am going to release a small update as of now.

Got accepted onto idgames!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/p-r/psxconvjm

On 5/9/2023 at 4:47 AM, 4shockblast said:

Seems like the wad is now certified halal. I do request, however, that the demos I sent a few months ago not be sent yet. A few of them will desync on the latest version, so I will need to re-record them. I will post those later.

Should probably ask: is it acceptable to have multiple demos in one zipfile?

51 minutes ago, Jakub Majewski said:

Should probably ask: is it acceptable to have multiple demos in one zipfile?

Yeah, it is acceptable to have multiple demos in one zipfile. You can have a single textfile for the zip, but if you want video links to be parsed, the zip will have to have a single txt per demo file with the same filename (e.g., demo.lmp should have demo.txt) with the YouTube URL. Also, if the demos have multiple categories, it could make it easier from my end to add the category to this txt, but it's not necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 5:11 PM, UnluckySpade7 said:

I have noticed that in Redemption Denied the Spider-masterminds get stuck on the walls which doesn't let them open when the barons are defeated. 

What source port or complevel are you using?

GREAT work on this set! This goes above and beyond with the recoloured textures. Always love to see people giving attention to the best version of Doom.

Edited by Muusi

It is a shame that it is only eight map long and for Doom II only. One more map and it would have worked as a fifth Ultimate Doom episode!

What does Perquisite Strata mean, though?

Edited by Rudolph

On 4/24/2023 at 8:17 PM, Aeddes666 said:

Hello.
Awesome work!
No bugs, no misaligned textures, no pain.

Just smooth memories from my old PSX... Thanks!

Tested on GZDoom, UV.

Some videos:

Oh god hearing PC SFX in PSX levels is seriously disturbing lol

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

It is a shame that it is only eight map long and for Doom II only. One more map and it would have worked as a fifth Ultimate Doom episode!

What does Perquisite Strata mean, though?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Extramap.wad

You could throw this in for a ninth level. It's an unfinished level from the 3do version(a fan already made it playable though).

The name is somewhat of a fancy way of saying "Bonus levels". Not 1:1 in terms of meaning though.

Edited by Jakub Majewski
added 2nd point

52 minutes ago, Jakub Majewski said:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Extramap.wad

You could throw this in for a ninth level. It's an unfinished level from the 3do version(a fan already made it playable though).

The name is somewhat of a fancy way of saying "Bonus levels". Not 1:1 in terms of meaning though.

Oh yeah, I recognize that one: it is the basis for the Master Edition's "Altar of Extraction"!

I read it is still quite buggy, unfortunately. :(