Shovelware Philosophical Pondering

I recently played map01 of this shovelware wad I found among many others I found in a zip on doomworld forums

it was called "NEW_3.WAD"

first map was this tech base

it was made in 1996, December 24th.... Christmas Eve (last edited)

I kinda played it a bit and I admit... it's fun

So fun I wanted to say "heh not bad for 96, The Mapper should be proud heh heh"

but then I realized... I don't know the mapper..

I want to thank him for this neat level... but I can't... he is simpily lost to the sands of times

made me even think more... where is this guy?

is he alive? is he dead? what's he doing nowadays? does he have a family? is he still active online? or maybe he simpily moved on in life.

It saddens me and has a eerie aftertone to it

I know it's not really a big deal, I mean shovelwads are dime a billion, but still

it really makes you think

but I will say this... for a mystery wad created on Christmas Eve... it's not that bad at all... and a good christmas eve gift

welp that's my two cents on NEW_3.wad, it sure is like many other shovelwads but hell, it still is special and I like it

(also I kinda wish I knew most of the midi song names lol, I can only recognize some classical music and the naked gun theme)

also here is "NEW_3.wad" in all it's glory, this post is all my two cents

Edited by Johnny Cruelty

I am thinking from time to time (more recently these days, tbh) that after my death there is gonna be a my digital "footprint" in Doom community in a form of several published maps (even if not in fancy /idgames crib) and mods.

It is nothing like I am wanting it at the first place, 'cause one of the main reason why I am making maps, mods and other creative stuff is my urge to self-realization thru the power of creative process.

And while creating something, I am having tons of fun.

But it is a nice good bonus for me that some of my stuff is appealing to some kind Doomer-comrades.

There is a possibility that in the future only few alive human beings gonna have some of my stuff and they even may not known my nickname or the exact creation date of these things.

But, if I can stick to the topic, "ShovelWare" itself are kinda deprecated, since there is a few big resources for Doomers to share their creations to the public.

And, I think, there is so much created content (both bad and good) that this is job only for Adeptus Mechanicus Archivarius by now.

Sure, there is always gonna be a mad data hoarders, but how many of these in Doom community?

Who can have even something like every version of "Beautiful Doom" or "Brutal Doom"?

Edited by RastaManGames

4 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

I am thinking from time to time (more recently these days, tbh) that after my death there is gonna be a my digital "footprint" in Doom community in a form of several published maps (even if not in fancy /idgames crib) and mods.

It is nothing like I am wanting it at the first place, 'cause one of the main reason why I am making maps, mods and other creative stuff is my urge to self-realization thru the power of creative process.

And while creating something, I am having tons of fun. But it is a nice good bonus for me that some of my stuff is appealing to some kind Doomer-comrades.

There is a possibility that in the future only few alive human beings gonna have some of my stuff and they even may not known my nickname or the exact creation date of these things.

But, if I can stick to the topic, "ShovelWare" itself are kinda deprecated, since there is a few big resources for Doomers to share their creations to the public.

And, I think, there is so much created content (both bad and good) that this is job only for Adeptus Mechanicus Archivarius by now.

Sure, there is always gonna be a mad data hoarders, but how many of these in Doom community?

Who can have even something like every version of "Beautiful Doom" or "Brutal Doom"?

I know! maybe stuff like this is a message for us to maybe realize not everything is gonna be remembered

stuff like NEW_3.wad exists but the creator's name lost to time..

it happens to a lot of folks soon or later...

but yeah to think there is probably a lot of doomwads undiscovered, sitting in a dusty box, or in a landfill or some guy's harddrive... waiting for someone to be played

it's like digging up ancient pottery or artifacts... and it is kinda fun and nostalgic to see what mapping was like back then

We may never know who Mr."NEW_3.WAD" is, but if he is reading this or hell even still alive, I congratulate him for contributiing to the doom community.... his wad... brings me joy so far... 

and this goes out to all the NEW_3ers, the mystery men who left behind their past... weither the wad is good or not, each wad, each level, each sector, each linedef... tells a story.

7 hours ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

also here is "NEW_3.wad" in all it's glory, this post is all my two cents

Heh, this new_3.wad is just a doom2 conversion of the old version of Underground Military Bunker by Terry Hamel. There is an updated version with bugs fixed at idgames [1] and the original old version is still available as E2M6 of wadpak4. [2]

Edit: sorry, you're right, taufan, I was too hasty.

Edited by RjY

14 minutes ago, RjY said:

Heh, this new_3.wad is just a doom2 conversion of the old version of Underground Military Bunker by Terry Hamel. There is an updated version with bugs fixed at idgames [1] and the original old version is still available as E2M6 of wadpak4. [2]

new_3.wad does have more maps than the one you mentioned, though. At least two more of them, from what I played sometime ago.

This is one of the things that appeals to me about old 90s maps. They're like little time capsules or something. Some person makes a map, vanishes into the ether, and we're still talking about it 25 years later.

2 hours ago, RjY said:

Edit: sorry, you're right, taufan, I was too hasty.

huh interesting....

12 hours ago, taufan99 said:

new_3.wad does have more maps than the one you mentioned, though. At least two more of them, from what I played sometime ago.

You are right and I am very sorry about earlier. To try to make up for it I have run some searches to try to identify the remaining maps and locate their originals. Apologies in advance for any mistakes. I have not checked this thoroughly as I could have (e.g. they look the same in the editor, not actually playing them).

• 01: Underground Military Bunker [1]
  • 02-06,09: from Knee Deep ][ - Bloodbath [2]
  • 07: DEVIL.WAD [3]
  • 10-18: from The Apocalypse Project [4]
  • 19-27: from JCM Episode 1 [5]
  • 28: Blitz Of Pain [6]
  • 29: Imps-r-Us 2 (dmcarn20) [7]
  • 30: Degeneration I [8]

I was not able to find anything resembling map08 at the moment. There is always one that has to be troublesome.

Edit: I knew Doomlover77 would know what it was. :)

Edited by RjY

I mean....yes???

Like sure some of these people are immature 90s kids just throwing in sound effects for the sake of it, but every so often, you'll come across an incredibly-detailed text file that hints at some serious inspiration. 

Although on a somewhat unrelated note, I wanna know if Drake O'Brien still draws crap in his spare time or smth. He seems like someone with a serious imagination though his mapping was.....often amateurish.

4 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I mean....yes???

Like sure some of these people are immature 90s kids just throwing in sound effects for the sake of it, but every so often, you'll come across an incredibly-detailed text file that hints at some serious inspiration. 

Although on a somewhat unrelated note, I wanna know if Drake O'Brien still draws crap in his spare time or smth. He seems like someone with a serious imagination though his mapping was.....often amateurish.

who is this "Drake O'Brien" what maps did he make?

1 minute ago, Johnny Cruelty said:

huh interesting

which ones?

Everyone's favorites - MAP20: Central Processing, MAP21: Administration Center, MAP27: Mount Pain.

16 hours ago, Somniac said:

This is one of the things that appeals to me about old 90s maps. They're like little time capsules or something. Some person makes a map, vanishes into the ether, and we're still talking about it 25 years later.

Agreed. Looking at you Martin Aalen Hunsager.

This is why I think everyone should put a text file in their uploads so that author credit doesn’t get lost over time. There’s tons of levels from the mid to late 90s that have no information included. 

@LadyMistDragon

While I’m not sure what he’s up to now, it should be noted that O’Brien didn’t just disappear after Evilution. He is credited with testing on Eternal Doom III (1997) and Daedalus: Alien Defense (2004!). The latter probably isn’t very known about, since the textfiles don’t include individual credits. The full credits appear as an easter egg in the first secret level of Daedalus’ second hub. 

Oh, and he was also working on textures, level design, models, skins and as a coordinator, on LUC, a Quake II Total Conversion by "Suspension Software".

Basically TeamTNT members making stuff for Quake II. The LUC site hosted on quake2.com even lists it as "from TeamTNT", although another, newer site only refers to them as Suspension Software and.  

On TNT’s website, it waslisted under current TNT projects at first, and led to the quake2.com site, but in captures of the site after 8.2.1999, it is listed under "Friends of TeamTNT" and led to the newer site. 

The project never materialized, which is a shame, according to the site, they had a lot of work done and the screenshots look cool.

I’ve wanted to look deeper into this LUC project, but never had the time. Maybe someday. 

On 4/27/2023 at 1:00 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

Oh he made three maps in TNT Evilution and they're his only known released maps.

And then, according to his bio, he became a famous hip-hop and R&B star

7 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

And then, according to his bio, he became a famous hip-hop and R&B star

So Drake O'Brien became famous by his stage name, "Drake" 

Sounds about right.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:13 PM, Michael Jensen said:

O’Brien

if you are interested in historical files on idgames there are three "test" wads by Drake O'Brien: newdoor.wad, litefx.wad and strafe.wad.

Nothing playable but only demos on doors, lighting and gameplay.

spcial12.zip