[Limit-Removing Ultimate Doom CP] Tribute Quilt: A big map based off every Ultimate Doom map, by 28 different people [Idgames release]

So, no new reports, does it mean there's no more major issues?

Anyway, here's intermission pic. Possibly also titlepic if we can't get anything better.

INTERPIC.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it's RC2 time!

Seems like there's no report despite over 100 downloads, so I guess, no issues?

• Added new Title/Intermission screen and UMAPINFO to support it. Not sure if I can remove episode selection, I'll keep trying, but it's no big deal. I'll make credits image once I figure out how I want it to look. Maybe write text screen too
  • E3M5 segment had it logic reworked to be more reliable, but doors should work the same
  • A secret in E4M1 is made more lucrative, original wasn't really worth a nukage trip
  • Added extra line to make fleshy cubes move, I didn't like how you need to walk on them to make them start. Not a big deal

There could be other changes, but really minor. OP will be updated in a moment.

Updated: Fixed UMAPINFO, no gameplay changes.

TrbuteQuilt_RC2_fix.zip

Edited by ViolentBeetle

2 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:
  • Added new Title/Intermission screen and UMAPINFO to support it. Not sure if I can remove episode selection, I'll keep trying, but it's no big deal. I'll make credits image once I figure out how I want it to look. Maybe write text screen too

Try this in UMAPINFO (It was completely refusing to run in GZDoom, and DSDA-Doom still showed default episode list):

MAP E1M1 {
	episode = clear
	episode = "", "", ""

nointermission = false
	exitpic = "TITLEPIC"	
	endpic = "TITLEPIC"	
}

You could set the parameters in the episode definition, but if you're never going to see it, I guess it doesn't matter...

8 hours ago, BeachThunder said:

Try this in UMAPINFO (It was completely refusing to run in GZDoom, and DSDA-Doom still showed default episode list):

MAP E1M1 {
	episode = clear
	episode = "", "", ""

nointermission = false
	exitpic = "TITLEPIC"	
	endpic = "TITLEPIC"	
}

You could set the parameters in the episode definition, but if you're never going to see it, I guess it doesn't matter...

Yeah, this seems to work, I'm updating the op-post with a fix.

Probably unwise to make it empty, but one episode only skips the selection.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

• 2 weeks later...

A new round of small fixes, restoring sky tags where appropriate, some other minor aesthetic. I hope nothing got broken.

I'll do another run, hopefully, later this month, and if it works, I'll post it on idgames.

So this is your last chance to complain about something.

TrbuteQuilt_RC3.zip

Okay, just played through it again (with IDDQD), not a whole lot to report, mainly a bunch of texture alignment things.

The texture should be positioned so the rivets aren't on the corner:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_163117.png.286d5c8a23d70cd576d6df8beab7b6e8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230711_163102.png.c199dc5e789d540a94702da9674bf3b0.png

The support texture on the right is a little off:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_164227.png.ebea63ee4055a4f74c00881398b64963.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230711_164222.png.feb2790553d7033abdfca408e6a6f000.png

Side of the step textures is misaligned. There's not really much you can do about it with the current step texture, as it will cause the front and sides to look misaligned. My suggestion is to use a different texture on the sides. There's also some other alignment oddities involving the STEP6 texture in the E1M1 segment - specifically, in the blue area opposite the green armour:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_165507.png.a1024773b35219bc1210ef9dbe46286b.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_165501.png.b52e135a06bbb2f91b303700399533be.png

image.png.00a9e3fba1483e7de6c98893ae4c6b8f.png

Another misalignment:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_165846.png.2d5cdef1b67263fa45164786cf6c1b62.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_165841.png.6a55454236c51736e240b16769b46802.png

These rivets are weirdly close together:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_184602.png.24e412ce753826933d79ccbb686b8e40.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_184559.png.e288e5dd3ef885172fd93d6227f5316c.png

Also, in my House of Pain segment, I purposely misaligned this part because I wanted to communicate that it can open up. But I've changed my mind - it kinda just looks bad and wrong...so, could this texture be moved down 13 units.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_182942.png.96f37f0b2e7572b07a43f596064f82aa.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230711_182819.png.1342575fd92650da44df9b5e071409d9.png

Another thing in my E3M4 segment, would it be possible to shuffle the stairs over a little so the flats align correctly? Yeah, I guess it's technically out of bounds of the template (but still within the 1024x1024 block), it would look much better though. So, from this:

Spoiler

image.png.2b565b730a3df08b0222133d1329375a.png
to this:
image.png.5659b12a2f97b44e7597d98e65e2372e.png

And one gameplay request: could the red skull be placed somewhere more...conspicuous. The blue keycard and the yellow skull are both in prominent places, but the red skull is just dumped alongside some other random pickups. At minimum, it could just be raised off the ground a little bit.

Edited by BeachThunder

@BeachThunder

Good finds. I guess I can move staircase, the limit was more for my benefit. Not much harm in extending the hall.

I don't really see much merit in raising the red key, since it's behind a big ass teleport and impossible to miss, but I see benefits as well, wouldn't hurt.

I decided to make an untested RC4 release. Hopefully, when I get around actually testing it, it will go smoothly. But it's better to have others look as well.

Two major changes:

• E4M9 now has a huge pillar on which red skull key resides. It lowers when you enter the moat and supposed to make it clear that this is where red key is
  • E1M3 has the door to a small maze opens after you pick up blue key. The reason for this is that if you go straight there and drop through a window, you will have to backtrack around, like, 8 rooms and try again. Maybe it would be better to put a teleport somewhere for this situation, but I don't know where one would fit.

TrbuteQuilt_RC4.zip

Edited by ViolentBeetle

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I have played it like promised. I managed to do 100% kills and secrets.

I did some more balancing, mostly adding stuff to less rewarding secrets.

I altered E4M6 section somewhat so now you need to go through switches to get 1 bulk cell pack and another one being on the ground nearby, instead of two of them being bumpable

I fixed missing sky transfers and a couple of missing textures.

I will let this version to sit around for a week or so, if nothing new is reported I will take it to idgames. I would appreciate some more eyes on this in a meantime.

TrbuteQuilt_Final-ish.zip

Minor progress update: Napsalm played this map (The stream isn't over yet, so no VOD) and it's working fine.

There were a couple of minor graphical issues still found by @muumi that I fixed as well.

It's still on timeout, but looking good so far.

1 hour ago, Raith138 said:

I hate the e4m1 cyber, I cannot tell you how many times I died. Otherwise really fun idea.

It's E4M2 and I agree. I think prescribing to use cyber-demon might not have been ideal, but then again, what is there in E4M2? It doesn't seem to be that hard if you are good at two-shotting them with BFG, but I haven't master it either. I tended to just pelt it with BFG or plasma from behind column.

Thanks to recently created wiki article, I found a couple of things that don't have difficulty flags for lower levels, but should. I'm sending an updated version to idgames as version 1.0.1.

It has no relevance for anyone playing on UV and doesn't even desync the demo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/6/2566 at 14 นาฬิกา 57 นาที, ViolentBeetle said:

ไม่มีรายงานใหม่ หมายความว่าไม่มีปัญหาสำคัญอีกต่อไปแล้วใช่หรือไม่

เอาล่ะ นี่คือรูปช่วงพัก อาจเป็นหัวข้อหากเราไม่สามารถทำอะไรได้ดีไปกว่านี้

INTERPIC.png

This picture is so beautiful in a really frightening way.

I am currently playing this game.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Played through this in one long 6 hour sitting the other day, had a mostly good time with it. I loved the placement of the levels not being linear as I'd have expected, I never knew where I'd end up. The 'Warrens' area, I assume its Warrens anyway, was entirely unrecognisable to me, but I guess that one was difficult to do justice. Just felt like a random cyberdemon fight not tied to anything, only figured out it was Warrens by process of elimination. I got stuck several times, largely due to my own stupidity, and one spot was broken till I changed my compatibility from Doom (Strict) to Boom (Strict) (The cute smiley face from the E1M4 segment, the thing with the shotgunner inside didnt lower till I changed settings)

I'd greatly enjoy a quilt for the other IWADs and products (Doom II, Master Levels, TNT, Plutonia, maybe even the Ravengames and Strife, hell, a 15 segment Chex Quest quilt even!), and one day I'd also like to see a remix of this map with the squares rearranged for a new experience, with Sewers, Hell Gate, Console Hell Keep, Twilight Descends, The Marshes, Threshold of Pain, Sigil and Sigil II added for a 'deluxe quilt', heh. I can dream right?

2 hours ago, Devalaous said:

(The cute smiley face from the E1M4 segment, the thing with the shotgunner inside didnt lower till I changed settings)

That's weird. I normally test on DSDA-Doom but I tested it on gzDoom on Doom strict and it still lowered. Maybe it's some kind of very niche bug? Or you just accidentally skipped the line (But it should be hard on gzDoom)

As for the other IWADs, I'd enjoy it too, but it was harder to do than it seems. I'm still hoping to do it but it'll be hard.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

• 7 months later...