Just finished Final Doom. Any wad recommendations?

5 hours ago, netcurse2000 said:

I love this WAD progression chart, it's what made for my own map, too, but I sometimes think it's running the risk of overemphasizing some wads (that are great, for sure) at the expense of others. (And, even more importantly, makes Doom feel like some technical skill you have to master methodically to some other end than just enjoying the game).

I'd almost rather recommend taking a look at this thread: it has more wads listed, and a subjective take on the difficulty, if one wants something along the line of TNT or Plutonia:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/124160-wadmap-difficulty-scaling/

Even better would be to take a look at the Top 500 wads and tossing a coin. You could hit some hard wad, which is gonna run you into trouble if you insist on UV, but on the other hand you're almost guaranteed to get some higher-quality stuff to play:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/109654-⬆️-doomworld-community-top-wads-of-all-time-resurrected/

5 hours ago, spispopd said:

Yeah, just want some wad recommendations as someone whos only done the commercial ones

Jimmy's Deathless! :D

And since Final Doom is still fresh on your mind, you might as well check out TNT Evilution: The Way We Remember It - and its Doom and Doom II counterparts - for a slightly unsettling experience. I would also recommend all The Way Id Did projects and the unofficial TNT: Revilution and the Dario Casali-approved Plutonia 2 for mapsets of similar difficulty.

Oh yeah, and be sure to check out Xaser's The Lost Episode, which reimagines most unused and console-exclusive maps as a hypothetical fifth episode for the Ultimate Doom - long before John Romero's SIGIL came out. For a more faithful reproduction of the console-exclusive maps, there is also Perquisite Strata X. Or you can always just check out Playstation Doom (through Doom: CE) and Doom 64's official re-release!

Edited by Rudolph

The .WADs in the post linked above, the .WADs that became official add-ons in the official source port, and the .WADs listed here:

are a good next step if you want to play more IWAD-style levels.

Icarus, Memento Mori 1 and 2 and Requiem are all good classic megawads to start on

6 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Icarus.  Do it.

2 hours ago, Andrea Rovenski said:

Memento Mori, came out in 1995 right before Final Doom 

In addition, these two wads in particular share a lot of people who worked on TNT and Memento Mori, so its a more natural continuation.

I am not familiar enough with Icarus and Requiem to comment on those, but I cannot help but feel like Memento Mori 1 could have used some more polish, as so far it does not feel as accessible as Final Doom. Oh, and speaking of Final Doom, there are Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay, which could legitimately be treated as an unofficial Final Doom 2 (especially since Perdition's Gate was reportedly set to be included in Final Doom, but ultimately did not make the cut): they are not without merits (Hell 2 Pay notably features some innovative level design, such as timed maps with an actual real-time countdown, and original spritework), but many of the maps are really rough around the edge and sometimes downright shoddily-designed, so do not expect the same level of quality as Final Doom or even Memento Mori.

Edited by Rudolph

I'll just repeat what I've said there: Memento Mori, Requiem and Icarus are comparable in difficulty to the iwads, BTSX if you want something more recent. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

Maximum Doom. It has 1500 maps, that should keep you engaged for awhile.

Try 3,487 levels lol, although maximum dooms frontend does work in dosbox the only things is some buggy maps won’t work like Demowad.wad due to improper implementation of heretic textures as the text file tells you to use WadWarp to patch it. WadWarp also works in dosbox but I couldn’t get the patch to work(maybe something to revisit). If you want to try out some doom shovelware though there is always d!zone it’s only 900 wads and it’s frontend also works in dosbox. 

Since nobody ever mentions it

Mars War- A 1998 megawad of 32 maps based on Doom 2, but very well done. I had a blast on everything except 2 maps, which means that's pretty good. Designed by one guy who had a fun jib jab background for making it. The end may come as a surprise but it will make anyone laugh pretty hard; that on top of being a difficulty fight as well!

There have been a lot of good recs in here, but it might help folks narrow down suggestions if you can more clearly articulate what you want, @spispopd. Are you straight up looking for more of a challenge? More maps like Romero's? More abstract stuff like Sandy's? Or are you burned out on vanilla and want something wildly different in terms of artistic direction, but at the same time isn't going to kick your arse all over the place?

I'm gonna throw Lunar Catastrophe in for consideration: a joyous set of "replacement episodes" that feels very much like the first two games, just made by different people.

16 hours ago, aRottenKomquat said:

Shameless plug for The I.M.P Act

Forgiven. I'd somehow missed this one during a hiatus. And I've recently been playing quite a bit of stuff that squeaks under vanilla limitations or uses default textures, but this had a delightfully charming classic feel to it. Top shelf, that.

I'll just quote myself from another similar thread

On 6/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, ReaperAA said:

For someone who just recently completed the iwads and want something with Final Doom's level of difficulty, I absolutely recommend to check out Bri's wads:

Older Skillsaw stuff like Lunatic and Vanguard are also solid choices for stuff that on Final Doom's difficulty level. If you are hungry for more Skillsaw's stuff, you could check out his later releases like Valiant, Ancient Aliens and Heartland. But do note that those 3 are definitely quite a step up from the iwads

Back to Saturn X (BTSX) E1 and E2 are a bit above Plutonia on the difficulty side (there are big spikes here and there, like Map19 in E1 and especially the secret Map of E2), but are otherwise fairly good recommendations. Also keep an eye on BTSX E3, which is in development.

On a similar note to BTSX E1 and E2, Eviternity is also a solid recommendation for something around or a little above Plutonia.

Like other people have already said, play Memento Mori I & II, Requiem, Strain, The Talosian Incident Hell Revealed and Nostalgia too, the first five mapsets aren't terribly difficult, but they are still fun, the latter .WAD's can get quite challenging towards the end!

Spoiler

DOOM0000.png.93845a3c7506cb7c76ada726ba3d22b5.png

DOOM0001.png.67a1ae4e045f7c491fd8fa6c3f22101e.png

DOOM0003.png.5961d6a9c6b0cfe7a3e41e7cdf46e822.png

DOOM0005.png.2f33ef25a0e8859a929b5e3c2d544bde.png

DOOM0004.png.8f68aad8338bd3c9ad80f89e30b31500.png

DOOM0006.png.67b1cbff5b9d5d7f00303a335bcb7697.png

DOOM0027.png.143e24cafb2842118a66f88637f765a3.png